"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 09-22-2006, 12:08 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Sharpening Wusthof Knives

After many years of cooking with rather ordinary knives, I was able to purchase most of a set of Wusthof knives last year. It was quite a splurge since they're very expensive. I'm wondering whether any of you have Wusthof, and if you do, how do you sharpen them? Do you do it yourself or take them to a professional knife sharpener? I have a steel, and I've always sharpened my knives myself, but since this set was so expensive, I've been thinking about taking them to someone who knows exactly what they're doing. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

Old 09-22-2006, 05:06 AM   #2
Sous Chef

We use Wusthof and we sharpen them at home, with a professional-grade steel.

I say "we" although in truth, it's my husband who does it. I'm not bad at it, but he gets a better edge.

We could take them to a professional sharpener, but they use a ginding wheel which in my hubby's opinion it too harsh.

They're lovely knives -- you won't regret the purchase!

Old 09-22-2006, 05:39 AM   #3
Senior Cook

Thank you, Ayrton. When you say you have a professional steel, what do you mean? We have both a steel like a rod and also a large piece of stone, which my husband has used. I'm not sure that either of them could be called "professional." I think your husband may be right if they grind the knives. I've never asked anyone about this before, so I'm at a loss.
Old 09-22-2006, 07:41 AM   #4
Senior Cook

Ive just bought a set of Wusthof knife set (which includes a Steel bar), and while we're on the subject, are Wusthof knifes quite ordinary, or quite good since theyre a bit expensive? We're getting taught how to sharpen our knives on the bar next wednesday or friday! So i could be of help then ! :o)
Old 09-22-2006, 08:22 AM   #5
Chief Eating Officer

I have Wustoff knives and I sharpen them at home using a system similar to this. It is the Lansky Crock Stick system. I find it does an excellent job and takes all the guesswork out of sharpening.

One thing to keep in mind. Sharpening a knife is much much different from using a steel on a knife. Even though it is sometimes referred to as a sharpening steel, it does not sharpen. A steel only hones the blade. it does nothing to sharpen. You should use the steel every single time you use your knives, but they should only need to be sharpened every 4-12 months 9depending on use and a few other factors).
Old 09-22-2006, 08:53 AM   #6
Senior Cook

Shamalicious, the Wusthof knives are excellent knives, some of the best. I have one of those sticks, and that's what I've always used on my other knives, but my question is whether I should use it or ask a professional to. I really do appreciate your offer to show me how to sharpen them. Everyone here is so helpful.

GB, I've never seen those Lansky professional sharpeners before, and they look good. I'm going to think about getting one of those. That may be my answer if I can use it right. Thanks for the link!
Old 09-22-2006, 08:55 AM   #7
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne
Thank you, Ayrton. When you say you have a professional steel, what do you mean? We have both a steel like a rod and also a large piece of stone, which my husband has used. I'm not sure that either of them could be called "professional." I think your husband may be right if they grind the knives. I've never asked anyone about this before, so I'm at a loss.
Hi Anne ...

What I mean is a steel specifically manufactured with professional users in mind -- restaurant folks; butchers; those folk. Ours is from the pro line of a French company (Fischer) who our "butcher supply guy" recommended (we go to a guy whose shop is located next to Athens' central meat market to get a variety of sausage-making bits and pieces). We didn't buy the biggest or most expensive, but it's a very nicely made steel and my husband is very pleased with it, feeling it has a superior "bite" to our previous (consumer-grade) steel.

Of course GB is technically right regarding the honing/sharpening business ... but I'm as "lay" as laypersons get, and we use the term "sharpening" for both!

Meanwhile, the bottom line is: sharpen (sorry! hone!) your knives each time before you use them and you'll be one happy knife owner!
Old 09-22-2006, 10:57 AM   #8
Senior Cook

Hi back, Ayrton ~~ Now, I understand what you mean by professional. Thanks for explaining. Weren't you lucky to have a butcher recommend a sharpener to you? (Notice how I call them "sharpeners," and you'll see how much I know about cutlery!)

I was just as intrigued by the fact that you shop near the meat market in Athens, Greece, as I was in your knife discussion. I can't imagine being in Greece, let alone shopping at one of their markets! A friend of mine spends the summers over there every year and sends me postcards of all sorts of things, including the beautiful architecture. It looks like an amazing country!

Thanks again for your help, Ayrton.
Old 09-22-2006, 11:06 AM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef

I have read that steels are made to specifications for certain knives. i.e. a steel for a Chicago Cutlery knife may not do a good job on a Wusthof or Henckels knife (and vice versa) because of the differences in the steels used in the various knife blades.
Old 09-22-2006, 11:06 AM   #10
Executive Chef

a diamond steel will keep knives sharp between more thorough sharpenings. THe Lansky system is excellent. THere are several other diamond stone sharpeners that will keep your blades in good shape.