"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 03-09-2013, 07:35 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Sharpening Wusthof Knives

Hi Everyone,

I recently brought two Wusthof Classic knives (6" Chef & Paring) as my first forray into better kitchen equipment. Over the past three months they have been really nice to use which is hardly suprising considering the knives I used to use.

I recently went into a cookery shop to buy a sharpening steel however I was advised to buy a pull through sharpener as I have never used a steel before on the premise that I would actually damage the edge of the knife by sharpening the knife at the wrong angle.

I really want to keep the knives sharp but I am unsure how I can achieve this?

I have heard a lot of people talking about the lansky system, would you guys recommend this?

Many thanks in advance for your help,

Lewis.

Old 03-09-2013, 09:43 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

A steel is for honing, not sharpening. It should be used after every time you use the knives to keep the edge in good shape. Depending on how much use the knives get, they will need sharpening once or twice a year.

The Lansky system is very good. I use it on my good knives.

Old 03-09-2013, 11:55 AM   #3
Head Chef

Generally I would advise you to avoid the pull-through "sharpeners", especially any of the carbide ones. Very hard on your knives. The exception to rule is the Edgemaker Pro- this product works very well with minimal removal of steel. They can be found at hardware stores as well as online.

A honing rod is very useful to maintain your edge between sharpenings. I prefer a ceramic one for most purposes. The Lansky is a good sharpener, the Edge Pro Apex is even better.
Old 03-09-2013, 01:59 PM   #4
Senior Cook

As Andy said - Lansky - it is absolutely the best thing for any knife.
Old 03-10-2013, 05:41 AM   #5
Assistant Cook

Thanks for all of your replies, very reassuring to know you guys recommend the Lansky system, i'll have to invest and see how I get on. My mum has a really dull set of Sebatier knives so ill practice on those before I sharpen my own.

Also really great to know I only need to sharpen 1-2 times a year, that was going to be my next question..

Would it also be worth getting a steel to hone the edge or would I damage the knives by improper use?

Thanks everyone...
Old 03-10-2013, 05:43 AM   #6
Assistant Cook

Also, which Lansky system would be the best for me? I've just looked at the website and there are quite a few systems?

Thanks!
Old 03-10-2013, 11:09 AM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

A steel is essential in the maintenance of good knives. the edge of a sharp knife tapers to a very thin piece of steel. When you use a knife the edge curls over from repeatedly hitting the cutting board. This is not preventable, but it's fixable with a steel. The steel re-straightens the fine edge. That's how you maintain sharpness between sharpenings.

I recommend this Lansky system.

Deluxe 5-Stone System | Precision Knife Sharpening System

With the coarser stones, your mom's Sabatier knives. Then she'll have good sharp knives as well.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:30 AM   #8
Executive Chef

As you use a knife the microscopic edge begins to fold over. Dragging across a steel will stand it back up. To do this, hold the knife, edge first at a 90 degree angle to the steel, turn the knife anitclockwise to 45 degrees, then half that again, which will be approximately 23 degrees, which is the angle at which most western manufactured knives are sharpened. Drag it across the steel, reverse sides by either moving the knife to the back side of the steel or turning it 180 degrees, and repeat. 5 or 6 swipes on each side of the knife should do the trick nicely.

Seeing you only have two good knives, ask your butcher who sharpenes his knives. Most butchers sharpen their own knives, on a whetstone, and if you are a valued customer, he just might offer to do yours free-fer-nuthin!
Old 03-11-2013, 06:20 AM   #9
Assistant Cook

Thanks for your help everyone, I will pickup a steel to hone the edge and then buy the Lansky system in 2/3 months as by that point I would of have the knives for 6 months.

Would someone such as myself be okay using a steel without damaging the knives? When I have watched tutorials it looks relatively straight forward and I'm sure with some practice I would pick it up...

Thanks again everyone!
Old 03-11-2013, 07:02 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

I doubt if any of you remember when the knife sharpener would come around your neighborhood pushing his two wheel stones and sharpen your knives for you. Well, I do. I also remember the ice man and putting a card in the window telling him what size you needed.

I have one of those stones from an old knife sharpener. In a sense I guess you could call it a whet stone. It has a rough part and a very smooth part. I just wish I knew how to use it properly. It has a large hole right down the middle where it sat of the peg to the wheel handle. He would turn the handle with one hand while holding the knife with the other against the stone. Sometimes I will use this round stone. And it does a great job. Just a couple of swipes against the edge and I am back in business. I found it in a cellar that my son was cleaning out and I was helping him. We also found some ice tongs. He kept them.

Tags
knives