"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 04-25-2006, 07:38 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Question Shun Elite knives from Sur La Table, anyone try them yet?

Just curious if they're really worth the hefty price tag they carry. I was given a shun pro series yanigiba knife as a gift this xmas and it is wonderful. Is the elite series noticably better??

Old 07-03-2006, 09:23 AM   #2
Assistant Cook

depends, its a single bevel(?) have to know how to use a stone, I use the pro and shun series and the steel in the pro is truely out of this world but like I said, can't use a steel on them. The shun range is a more traditional blade allowing for standard sharpening. steel in the blade is excellent too. These knives are truely great, I love them.. have a look at www.kershawknives.com

Old 07-03-2006, 09:56 AM   #3
Executive Chef

If you're seriously considering purchasing one of these, do a google search; I'm sure you can find a better deal than the top dollar Sur La Table asks!
Old 01-14-2008, 02:02 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

Shun Elite Knives

I will be very anxious to read the results from your post. I am considering dropping $2400 on the 23 piece elite knife block set and I would love to hear that they are noticibly better before I do. Also, does anyone know if the complete knife block set is available without the steak knives? And, second question, is there any place that offers a discount on these?
Thanks.
Martha
Old 01-14-2008, 02:17 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinningwheel View Post
I will be very anxious to read the results from your post. I am considering dropping $2400 on the 23 piece elite knife block set and I would love to hear that they are noticibly better before I do. Also, does anyone know if the complete knife block set is available without the steak knives? And, second question, is there any place that offers a discount on these?
Thanks.
Martha
IMO, and most likely some others, you may be better off buying knives you would actually use. Besides steak knives and a carving set, what will you get the most use out of in the kitchen? You can find good deals on the web, you just have to search for them. I actually met someone through Ebay to purchase my knives from. When I decided on one I wanted to add I would just shoot them an email instead of having to search high and low for what I wanted.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:46 PM   #6
Head Chef

Mostly the block sets aren't a great deal for most people; they have some great knives you'll use but several filler peices that you either won't use or could get by with a much cheaper peice (eg, you shouldn't use a conventional steel at all and c'mon- who needs a $90 pair of kitchen shears?). If you've got your heart set on a block, at least do some shopping around, prices can vary by several hundred dollars.

Btw, the Elite series are double bevel, 50/50 knives. The Pro series & conventional Japanese tradional knives are all single bevel.
Old 01-15-2008, 04:37 PM   #7
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Anything from Sur La Table or Williams-Sonoma is going to be overpriced.
Old 01-16-2008, 12:29 AM   #8
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caine View Post
Anything from Sur La Table or Williams-Sonoma is going to be overpriced.

True, but they do have a few exclusives. You can only get an Elite 6" serrated tomato knive or 6" Chef knife from Sur La Table. And Williams-Sonoma is the exclusive carrier of the Shun Kaji line.
Old 01-16-2008, 01:39 AM   #9
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Look online at other outfitters.

Shun is top of the line in a lot of regards.
Old 01-16-2008, 10:57 AM   #10
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by TATTRAT View Post
Look online at other outfitters.

Shun is top of the line in a lot of regards.
I'm a Shun fanboy, and they are great knives. I'm not absolutely positive I could call them the very top of the line, at least not until I get a chance to try a Hattori KD with Cowry X steel or a handmade Murray Carter. Certainly you'll have no trouble finding a knife ten times more expensive than a Shun Elite, but obviously it's not likely to be ten times better!

Btw, one knife I've been meaning to try is the Hattori KF. The blade are made completely of V-Gold 10 steel, not San Mai like most Japanese knives. They were designed my Ichiro Hattori in collaboration with some members of Knifeforums.com. They're a bit spendier than the Shun Elites but they look very good, and I've heard nothing but good things about them. Eventually there will even be an "upgraded" KF line utilizing Cowry X steel.