"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-17-2013, 01:02 PM   #1
Assistant Cook
 
Cuisine Purity's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Chattanooga
Posts: 22
So I gotta know

What is your absolute favorite kitchen gadget, appliance or tool?Mine is my Instapot. It is a slow cooker, pressure cooker, pressure canner, and also sautees. I love it. I can adjust temperature and pressure or press the quick buttons that cooks my food perfectly. I love to make my own chicken broth in it in fifteen or twenty minutes and chili from dry beans in only 30 minutes. I could go on and on but im gonna put my foot in my mouth now.

__________________

__________________
-Don't even think about eating my food or I will kick your butt here and the afterlife too
Cuisine Purity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 03:07 PM   #2
Master Chef
 
Chief Longwind Of The North's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: USA,Michigan
Posts: 9,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuisine Purity View Post
What is your absolute favorite kitchen gadget, appliance or tool?Mine is my Instapot. It is a slow cooker, pressure cooker, pressure canner, and also sautees. I love it. I can adjust temperature and pressure or press the quick buttons that cooks my food perfectly. I love to make my own chicken broth in it in fifteen or twenty minutes and chili from dry beans in only 30 minutes. I could go on and on but im gonna put my foot in my mouth now.
Put it in the instapot first, and pressure cook it to tender perfections.

My favorite tools are my Griswold pans, and my Chroma 10" Chef's knife.

I'm also fond of my veggie peelers, very sharp and they take just the right amount off of the fruit, veggies, and will even shave hard cheeses for me.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
__________________

__________________
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 03:19 PM   #3
Head Chef
 
tinlizzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 2,003
I'm not sure they would be considered a tool, surely not an appliance, and not a gadget, but in my kitchen I love my cast iron pans best...a 10" dutch oven with lid that doubles as a 10" skillet and skillets in 11", 8" and baby-size 6" that's perfect for one egg. All old, old seasoned. As for gadgets/appliances, I like my immersion stick blender.
__________________
No matter how simple it seems, it's complicated.
tinlizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 03:43 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,059
My serrated veggie peeler. It can take the skin off a peach or tomato so thin you can read through it. Perfect for making tomato roses for decorations. Absolutely no waste going with the peelings into the garbage disposal.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 05:12 PM   #5
Assistant Cook
 
Cuisine Purity's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Chattanooga
Posts: 22
Everybody who has ever properly used a cast iron skillet, cookware piece loves it. My second favorite kitchen item is in fact my cast iron skillets. I was considering buying a cast iron dutch oven but feared it would be to heavy to be able to recycle my frying oil as I always do.

I have a cheese grater and a mandolin and that is about my level of food carving lol. Gosh I really definitely need a good knife set for butchering whole chickens. It is so much more economical to buy whole chickens and I still feel a whole chicken is fresher too.
__________________
-Don't even think about eating my food or I will kick your butt here and the afterlife too
Cuisine Purity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 05:36 PM   #6
Executive Chef
 
Hoot's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The edge of the Great Dismal Swamp
Posts: 3,308
+1 for cast iron cookware. I am also fond of my knives.
They ain't the most expensive but they are sharp and well cared for.
__________________
I used to be a racist, but I don't have much interest in it since Dale Earnhardt got killed.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
Good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement.
Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 05:50 PM   #7
Executive Chef
 
Whiskadoodle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Twin Cities Mn
Posts: 2,954
I was going to reply a sharp knife and my cast iron skillets. Then I read the replies. Chuckle.
__________________
Whiskadoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 07:30 PM   #8
Master Chef
 
Aunt Bea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: near Mount Pilot
Posts: 7,006
I am in the sharp knife and iron skillet crowd but, I dream about one of these!
__________________
Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 07:39 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuisine Purity View Post
Gosh I really definitely need a good knife set for butchering whole chickens. It is so much more economical to buy whole chickens and I still feel a whole chicken is fresher too.
You only need a good chef's knife to butcher a whole chicken. We do that regularly.

Speaking of which, my Wusthof chef's knife and 3-quart All-Clad sauté pan are my favorite kitchen tools.
__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:50 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuisine Purity View Post
Everybody who has ever properly used a cast iron skillet, cookware piece loves it. My second favorite kitchen item is in fact my cast iron skillets. I was considering buying a cast iron dutch oven but feared it would be to heavy to be able to recycle my frying oil as I always do.

I have a cheese grater and a mandolin and that is about my level of food carving lol. Gosh I really definitely need a good knife set for butchering whole chickens. It is so much more economical to buy whole chickens and I still feel a whole chicken is fresher too.
CP, instead of wanting to have a whole set of knives, buy them one at a time. I would suggest you buy the boning knife first so you can cut up your chickens with ease. Chicago Cutlery is a very good brand and not too expensive. When I bought my boning knife a number of years back, I only paid $25 for it. I am sure it has gone up in price. Take a look on eBay also. You can get some great bargains there.
__________________

__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.