"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 05-17-2013, 01:02 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

So I gotta know

What is your absolute favorite kitchen gadget, appliance or tool?Mine is my Instapot. It is a slow cooker, pressure cooker, pressure canner, and also sautees. I love it. I can adjust temperature and pressure or press the quick buttons that cooks my food perfectly. I love to make my own chicken broth in it in fifteen or twenty minutes and chili from dry beans in only 30 minutes. I could go on and on but im gonna put my foot in my mouth now.

Old 05-17-2013, 03:07 PM   #2
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuisine Purity View Post
What is your absolute favorite kitchen gadget, appliance or tool?Mine is my Instapot. It is a slow cooker, pressure cooker, pressure canner, and also sautees. I love it. I can adjust temperature and pressure or press the quick buttons that cooks my food perfectly. I love to make my own chicken broth in it in fifteen or twenty minutes and chili from dry beans in only 30 minutes. I could go on and on but im gonna put my foot in my mouth now.
Put it in the instapot first, and pressure cook it to tender perfections.

My favorite tools are my Griswold pans, and my Chroma 10" Chef's knife.

I'm also fond of my veggie peelers, very sharp and they take just the right amount off of the fruit, veggies, and will even shave hard cheeses for me.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 03:19 PM   #3
Head Chef

I'm not sure they would be considered a tool, surely not an appliance, and not a gadget, but in my kitchen I love my cast iron pans best...a 10" dutch oven with lid that doubles as a 10" skillet and skillets in 11", 8" and baby-size 6" that's perfect for one egg. All old, old seasoned. As for gadgets/appliances, I like my immersion stick blender.
Old 05-17-2013, 03:43 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

My serrated veggie peeler. It can take the skin off a peach or tomato so thin you can read through it. Perfect for making tomato roses for decorations. Absolutely no waste going with the peelings into the garbage disposal.
Old 05-17-2013, 05:12 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

Everybody who has ever properly used a cast iron skillet, cookware piece loves it. My second favorite kitchen item is in fact my cast iron skillets. I was considering buying a cast iron dutch oven but feared it would be to heavy to be able to recycle my frying oil as I always do.

I have a cheese grater and a mandolin and that is about my level of food carving lol. Gosh I really definitely need a good knife set for butchering whole chickens. It is so much more economical to buy whole chickens and I still feel a whole chicken is fresher too.
Old 05-17-2013, 05:36 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

+1 for cast iron cookware. I am also fond of my knives.
They ain't the most expensive but they are sharp and well cared for.
Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 05:50 PM   #7
Executive Chef

I was going to reply a sharp knife and my cast iron skillets. Then I read the replies. Chuckle.
Old 05-17-2013, 07:30 PM   #8
Master Chef

I am in the sharp knife and iron skillet crowd but, I dream about one of these!
Old 05-17-2013, 07:39 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Gosh I really definitely need a good knife set for butchering whole chickens. It is so much more economical to buy whole chickens and I still feel a whole chicken is fresher too.
You only need a good chef's knife to butcher a whole chicken. We do that regularly.

Speaking of which, my Wusthof chef's knife and 3-quart All-Clad sauté pan are my favorite kitchen tools.
Old 05-17-2013, 08:50 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Everybody who has ever properly used a cast iron skillet, cookware piece loves it. My second favorite kitchen item is in fact my cast iron skillets. I was considering buying a cast iron dutch oven but feared it would be to heavy to be able to recycle my frying oil as I always do.

I have a cheese grater and a mandolin and that is about my level of food carving lol. Gosh I really definitely need a good knife set for butchering whole chickens. It is so much more economical to buy whole chickens and I still feel a whole chicken is fresher too.
CP, instead of wanting to have a whole set of knives, buy them one at a time. I would suggest you buy the boning knife first so you can cut up your chickens with ease. Chicago Cutlery is a very good brand and not too expensive. When I bought my boning knife a number of years back, I only paid $25 for it. I am sure it has gone up in price. Take a look on eBay also. You can get some great bargains there.