Somewhat new to serious cooking so tell me about Nakiri knives

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nphillips88

Assistant Cook
I have a few wustofs that I use a good bit, but the one knife I've wanted for a while is a Shun Nikiri. Has anyone ever used them? I love the look and met one person whom had used one before which they loved. Anyone on here have or use one regularly that can tell me if it's worth the money compared to a 6-8in chef's knife? Thanks!

I had a very large Shun chef knife that was given to me from a dear friend as a gift. I have very small hands. The first time I went to use it, I cut the tip of my finger off. My oldest son now has it. Every so often he opens the box and just stares at it. He realizes what a very special knife it is.

If you do buy one, make sure you get one that is balanced in your hand and fits in there just right. Good luck with your search. Me? I am very happy with my $25 eight inch Chicago Cutlery chef knife.

I have a Shun Kai 7 inch utility, which is similar. I like it, but don't use it as much as I'd like. It is taking some getting used to. I still find myself grabbing various chefs knives first. Mainly, because It is such a nice, as well as expensive knife, I keep it packed away in its box in a drawer to keep it safe. As soon as I pickup a good knife sheath for it, I'll probbly use it much more.

As for cutting, it is a thick heavy stiff blade with no real belly. This makes you use a different style of cutting, more straight down, rather than the standard rocking motion. It is great for thin slices, and chopping.

So I suppose, this is a long way to say try one out first. It takes some getting used to. You may not like it, or you may love it, but a good one costs and you want to be sure you will use it.

I love it when I pull mine out. It makes prep fun.

I have a Shun Kai 7 inch utility, which is similar. I like it, but don't use it as much as I'd like. It is taking some getting used to. I still find myself grabbing various chefs knives first. Mainly, because It is such a nice, as well as expensive knife, I keep it packed away in its box in a drawer to keep it safe. As soon as I pickup a good knife sheath for it, I'll probbly use it much more.

As for cutting, it is a thick heavy stiff blade with no real belly. This makes you use a different style of cutting, more straight down, rather than the standard rocking motion. It is great for thin slices, and chopping.

So I suppose, this is a long way to say try one out first. It takes some getting used to. You may not like it, or you may love it, but a good one costs and you want to be sure you will use it.

I love it when I pull mine out. It makes prep fun.

When I asked Spike why he didn't use the one I gave him, he told me every so often he takes the box out, looks at it, runs his hand across it, and then puts it away again. He also told me that because of the expense of such a luxury item for the kitchen, he never in his wildest dreams every thought he could afford one or even receive one as a gift. He always thought of that kind of knife as a dream item. Something to think about, but knowing it would never happen.

One dream fulfilled. I am so glad I gave it to him.

When I asked Spike why he didn't use the one I gave him, he told me every so often he takes the box out, looks at it, runs his hand across it, and then puts it away again. He also told me that because of the expense of such a luxury item for the kitchen, he never in his wildest dreams every thought he could afford one or even receive one as a gift. He always thought of that kind of knife as a dream item. Something to think about, but knowing it would never happen.

One dream fulfilled. I am so glad I gave it to him.

I couldn't imagine having one. My in-laws have two full sets up shun and they love them and use them every day. But sadly they do not have the Nakiri. But I understand exactly what he means by not using it. Once I get one I'll use it all the time just love those knives. Besides Bob kramer's they are a dream set of knives

Back
Top Bottom