"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 01-19-2007, 06:36 PM   #1
Sous Chef

Storing methods?

So I was inpatient and bought myself a knife set before Christmas. I was unable to make it to see my family up in CT this year so they sent my presents this week and in my box was another set of knives. How can I store these knives until I afford to go out to get either another wood block or magnetic strip? (I know the magnetic strips are only $5 but I literally have no money...I just started my new job and don't get paid until the 31st) I know not to let them just clank around in the drawer so what is another alternative?

Old 01-19-2007, 07:22 PM   #2
Senior Cook

Do you plan on keeping both sets? Too many knives around gets annoying...I just got rid of two full sets because I just didn't need them for ANYTHING because I always used the good ones.

In any event...I'd store one set in the package they came in out of the way. If you've got a set right now, no point in having these other ones in the way.

Old 01-19-2007, 09:51 PM   #3
Sous Chef

I didn't plan on keeping them out, but I would like to keep them around in case of emergency. There are five that I have but I am only going to keep out my chef's, paring and bread knives (I buy bread that I cut myself), and then of course my kitchen shears. Can I wrap some dish cloths around each one individually until I can buy a magnetic holder? I already have a wood block but I would like to hang the ones I am not going to use in one of my cabinets. I don't want them to clank up against each other in a drawer. The reason I asked another way to store them is because we threw away the package they came in.
Old 01-19-2007, 10:19 PM   #4
Executive Chef

I store my extra knives in my diningroom cabinet drawer in a paper bag along with other tools that I dont use. I suppose I'll use them one day. Since yours are packaged, just keep them as they are.
Old 01-19-2007, 10:30 PM   #5
Head Chef

How about temporarily using paper sleeves made from things like manilla folders or even junk mail?

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 11:11 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
You could flatten empty paper towel roll tubes to protect the knives.

Although, since your are only concerned about 11 days' time for storing the knives, just wrap them in some paper and put them in a secure place. You DID say payday was on the 31st, correct? It's not too far away. It's not like you're storing them for a lifetime.
Old 01-20-2007, 11:05 AM   #7
Assistant Cook

Hi
We store our spare knives in a large jar on the worktop. We wrap the blades etc. in cloth and just leave them out that way if you ever do need them they are always to hand.
Old 01-20-2007, 12:18 PM   #8
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E
You could flatten empty paper towel roll tubes to protect the knives.

Although, since your are only concerned about 11 days' time for storing the knives, just wrap them in some paper and put them in a secure place. You DID say payday was on the 31st, correct? It's not too far away. It's not like you're storing them for a lifetime.
Great ideal!! And you were correct about payday

Thank you everyone. I would hate for theses knives to get dull by just throwing them in a drawer. I appreciate all your help!!