"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 02-05-2010, 02:21 PM   #11
Head Chef

I don't think you will consider a japanese knife a toy after you use it once. I, like you,. am an old guy set in my ways and had not replaced my Forschners for years. I love my Japanese knives.

Old 02-05-2010, 02:23 PM   #12
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
GB, talk a little about what it takes to sharpen them.
Time. That is all. If you can sharpen a German knife then sharpening a J knife is the same, but just takes longer. For some, that can be an issue. I just sharpened this knife last weekend, but I did not get it as sharp as I would have liked because I had been at it for a while and my hands were tired and I was ready to do other things. I was OK with that though because it was already sharper than my Wustof knives. I have sharpened it to the max that I am capable of previously. I was probably 80% there this time around. I probably spend a good 45-60 minutes (wasn't really keeping track) to get to my 80% point. And that was starting with a blade that was still in decent shape. I have to sharpen it much less frequently that my Wustof knives though so the extra time evens out over the long run.

Old 02-05-2010, 04:18 PM   #13
Sous Chef

I got this knife for Christmas. Feels good in my hand and I enjoy using it. I will be buying a couple more Tojiro this year. Good knives!
Old 02-05-2010, 10:06 PM   #14
Chief Eating Officer

Aha I remembered the other knife I got. It was the Hattori HD 3 Petty 150mmHD Series Japanese Knife,Japanese Kitchen Knife,Japanese Cutlery,Japanese Chef's Knives.Com. This is my favorite knife to use, but I get more use out of my Tojiro. This knife just feels and looks great though and man talk about sharp!
Old 02-06-2010, 02:24 AM   #15
Head Chef

Japanese knives do require a little bit different technique to sharpen, at least if you want to unlock their true potential. Overall Japanese knives are made with steels that are considerably harder and more wear resistant than typical Euro knives. Typically they're also thinner with considerably more acute edge angles than a German knife (ie, 12-15 degrees per side for J-knives vs 22.5 for the average Euro). This means the edge is sharper, and the fact that it's harder & more abrasion resistant means it will take and benefit from a higher polish than you'd use for, say, a Wusthof. And you have to get used to sharpening at a lower angle.

The other notable difference is that some of the steels used in the hagane of a Japanese knife will cling more stubbornly to a burr than a softer Euro knife. This is not always the case, but tool steels like SKD (used in the Yoshikani wa-gyuto) are notorious for being hard to deburr.

In use, Japanese knives tend to be lighter and more "agile" than you're used to. They cut very well! They tend to be a bit more delicate than you're used to as well. Cutting thru bones will cutting meat will likely result in a chipped edge. A good analogy would be that a Japanese is like a Hyabusa where a German is more like a dirt bike. Hard to hang with the rice rocket on good streets but it ain't gonna like logging trails.
Old 02-06-2010, 02:47 AM   #16
Senior Cook

I like the analogy about the J-knives as Hyabusas and German/Euro Knives as KTMs.

An old school French Sabatier will take the most brutal beating you can give a knife and line up for more after a quick hone, but it will never be as precise or agile as gyuto.
Old 02-06-2010, 07:07 AM   #17
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Aha I remembered the other knife I got. It was the Hattori HD 3 Petty 150mmHD Series Japanese Knife,Japanese Kitchen Knife,Japanese Cutlery,Japanese Chef's Knives.Com. This is my favorite knife to use, but I get more use out of my Tojiro. This knife just feels and looks great though and man talk about sharp!

I have that same Hattori. Very nice little knife but I almost never use it. It does have an Edge Pro supplied Naniwa Chocera 10k edge, though!
Old 02-06-2010, 09:52 AM   #18
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpaulg View Post
I like the analogy about the J-knives as Hyabusas and German/Euro Knives as KTMs.
Okay, I'll bite. What's a Hyabusa and what's a KTM?

You guys have convinced me. I'm going to order a few pieces and see how I like them. Worst case scenario, I hate them and give them to my fiance or sell them on eBay.
Old 02-06-2010, 10:17 AM   #19
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesS View Post
Okay, I'll bite. What's a Hyabusa and what's a KTM?

You guys have convinced me. I'm going to order a few pieces and see how I like them. Worst case scenario, I hate them and give them to my fiance or sell them on eBay.
A KTM is a motorcycle for dirt riding, and a Hayabusa is an extremely fast sport bike. I'd like both!

And if you don't like the J knives we can work out a trade! Somehow I think you'll like them though.
Old 02-07-2010, 02:27 AM   #20
Head Chef

The Hyabusa was the last "worlds fastest street bike" IIRC. At the high of the Japanese speed wars the Hyabusa reigned supreme until the manufacturers, facing legislation, agreed to limit the top end speed & power of bikes. It was named after a type of hawk known for it's screaming speed in a dive (seems like it can hit 185 mph!).