"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 02-07-2010, 11:11 AM   #21
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Babcock View Post
The Hyabusa was the last "worlds fastest street bike" IIRC. At the high of the Japanese speed wars the Hyabusa reigned supreme until the manufacturers, facing legislation, agreed to limit the top end speed & power of bikes. It was named after a type of hawk known for it's screaming speed in a dive (seems like it can hit 185 mph!).

Reading this now brought back memories. My BF died on one 2 yrs ago. He loved that bike. Heck he gave me a ride on it and the speed was INSANE.

Old 02-07-2010, 04:47 PM   #22
Head Chef

I'm sorry to hear that! But that's one of the reason the makers capped the speed- they're just too dangerous to drive. Few people can handle one at speed but too many people try.

Old 02-07-2010, 06:19 PM   #23
Assistant Cook

Quote:
I'm sorry to hear that! But that's one of the reason the makers capped the speed- they're just too dangerous to drive. Few people can handle one at speed but too many people try.
Trust me my friend could handle the bike. He had it since it first came out. He would get on the sunshine skyway with 50+ bikes behind him. He was killed in a 4 way stop by a drunk driver. The irony is he was never scared of the busa.

I myself built an 11 second Evolution and he woul leave me like I was standing still at high speed. I did some stupid things in my younger days and thank god I am even still here today. I drove like an idiot at times. I learned my lesson quickly.

Now back to the subject. I went to personally look at shuns and the henckels pro s today. The shuns are scary sharp out of the box.
Old 02-07-2010, 09:48 PM   #24
Head Chef

Shun knives are about as sharp as you will generally see OOTB on a consistent basis. Still, that's not very sharp compared to how sharp you can get an edge.
Old 02-07-2010, 09:53 PM   #25
Head Chef

BTW, what's an Evolution? Drunk drivers are a menace, for sure. An old boss of mine was severely injured when she was rear ended at a red light by some drunk dimwit going 50 mph- in town!
Old 02-07-2010, 10:42 PM   #26
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Shun knives are about as sharp as you will generally see OOTB on a consistent basis. Still, that's not very sharp compared to how sharp you can get an edge.

Man for real. How can you get sharper than that? Can the shun knives be sharpened with the edge pro?

The Evolution is a Mitsubishi on Steroids :). Vishnu Performance Systems

That was a pretty good superbowl..

Rob I noticed you are in the knifeforums :)... So what stones do you use for the EP? I was thinking of going with the shaptons, but don't know which ones to buy.
Old 02-08-2010, 02:25 AM   #27
Head Chef

Honestly, you can't compare the OOTB edge of a Shun to a well-sharpened hand applied edge, via Edge Pro or skilled freehand sharpening. For my EP I have a lot of stones. I have the OEM (original from EP) 120, 220, 320, 600, 800 (no longer offered) & 1000. I also have glass tape blanks with a variety of tapes and PSA films from 3M. I've got a couple of DMT DiaSharp diamond plates in 2x6", an XC and a C, that I attached to stone blanks myself. Then I've got Shapton Pro's in 320, 1k, 2k, 5k, 8k & 15k, as well as Naniwa Chocera's in 400, 800, 1k, 2k, 5k & 10k (with a 3k on the way). Lastly I've got a synthetic Aoto cut & mounted to an EP blank. And I've got a couple more "suprises" coming from the guy who's supplying the stones to Jende & CKtG.
Old 02-08-2010, 02:29 AM   #28
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by luisc202 View Post
How can you get sharper than that? Can the shun knives be sharpened with the edge pro?
Sure, I've done lots of Shuns on my EP. I get them waaay sharper than factory, it ain't even close. Ditto for Hattori's. I also do some repair work (chips, broken tips, etc).

Quote:
Originally Posted by luisc202 View Post
Rob I noticed you are in the knifeforums :)... So what stones do you use for the EP? I was thinking of going with the shaptons, but don't know which ones to buy.
The Shaptons are great stones for the EP. I use diamond stones or a belt grinder for really coarse work, so I never use a stone coarser than the 320 Shapton (for now...). One pretty practical approach is to go with the stock EP stones to save a few bucks, then get Shaptons in grits higher than you can get stock. That would mean getting the Shaptons in 5k, 8k &15k. To be honest, going over 8k is mostly just for showing off, or if you need extreme polish. I find all the Shapton stones are very good. I prefer the Choceras by a slight margin, but either would serve you very well.
Old 02-08-2010, 04:37 AM   #29
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to masteraznchefjr
I love my Japanese knife . I got mine in the Taiwanese morning market from some Japanese guy who makes knives and distributes knives made in Japan. It has cut better and stayed sharper than any of my German knives. Well, if you are ever in Taiwan just find some old guy selling knives in the young an market. He sells them for about 50 USD a piece with bargaining.
masteraznchefjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 09:39 AM   #30
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Sure, I've done lots of Shuns on my EP. I get them waaay sharper than factory, it ain't even close. Ditto for Hattori's. I also do some repair work (chips, broken tips, etc).

The Shaptons are great stones for the EP. I use diamond stones or a belt grinder for really coarse work, so I never use a stone coarser than the 320 Shapton (for now...). One pretty practical approach is to go with the stock EP stones to save a few bucks, then get Shaptons in grits higher than you can get stock. That would mean getting the Shaptons in 5k, 8k &15k. To be honest, going over 8k is mostly just for showing off, or if you need extreme polish. I find all the Shapton stones are very good. I prefer the Choceras by a slight margin, but either would serve you very well.

So I should buy the shapton 5k,8k, and 15k for sharpening a Shun then?

What stones will I need to sharpen the shun sharper than ootb?