"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 02-08-2010, 05:50 PM   #31
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by luisc202 View Post
So I should buy the shapton 5k,8k, and 15k for sharpening a Shun then?

What stones will I need to sharpen the shun sharper than ootb?
Do you use an Edge Pro? To be honest, you can get a Shun sharper than new with the stones included by EP. If you're matching the angle (or going more acute) and minimizing the burr or properly deburring, and using good technique you should be doing better than new without any special stones. Using all Shaptons I find when doing Shuns they're sharper than OOTB when they come off the 5k...and to be honest, a 1k followed by stropping will get you pretty close.

Old 02-08-2010, 07:07 PM   #32
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Babcock View Post
Do you use an Edge Pro? To be honest, you can get a Shun sharper than new with the stones included by EP. If you're matching the angle (or going more acute) and minimizing the burr or properly deburring, and using good technique you should be doing better than new without any special stones. Using all Shaptons I find when doing Shuns they're sharper than OOTB when they come off the 5k...and to be honest, a 1k followed by stropping will get you pretty close.

Yes I have an Edge Pro. I bought it to sharpen my personal knives and my dads. I am looking for knives for the both of us. Do you have pics of your sharpening setup you can share?

Old 02-08-2010, 09:20 PM   #33
Head Chef

I could take some, I guess, but my Apex looks like yours! Actually, I have the EP Pro model on order, and when it gets here my Dad is getting my Apex. I use a variety of tools depending on what I'm doing- freehand on stones and/or DMT Diasharps, Edge Pro, belt grinder (mostly repairs, chips or really, really dull knives)...Some cheapo knives that don't merit soaking the waterstones I just touch up on a set of Edgemaker Pro sharpeners.

Later this evening I'm going to sharpen a few knives for a couple of my coworkers. If I don't forget by then I'll snap a few pics!
Old 02-08-2010, 10:04 PM   #34
Assistant Cook

Quote:
I could take some, I guess, but my Apex looks like yours! Actually, I have the EP Pro model on order, and when it gets here my Dad is getting my Apex. I use a variety of tools depending on what I'm doing- freehand on stones and/or DMT Diasharps, Edge Pro, belt grinder (mostly repairs, chips or really, really dull knives)...Some cheapo knives that don't merit soaking the waterstones I just touch up on a set of Edgemaker Pro sharpeners.

Later this evening I'm going to sharpen a few knives for a couple of my coworkers. If I don't forget by then I'll snap a few pics!
Ahh ok that would be awesome...
Old 02-09-2010, 03:54 AM   #35
Head Chef

Oooops! Even after all that I almost forgot the pics! Here's a pic of my custom cut EP stones:

Left to right: Choceras in 10k, 5k, 2k, 1k, 800, 400. Shaptons in 320, 1k, 2k, 5k, 8k & 15k. In front are extra Chocera 400 & 1k plus the synthetic aoto.

EP Apex, HA Ceramic Hone, several types of rock-hard felt, mounted DMT XC Diasharp Diamond Plate, 10x Belomo Jewelers Loupe, & assorted stones.
Old 02-09-2010, 03:55 AM   #36
Head Chef

Not shown are my bench stones, waterstones and grinder, along with some stuff for flattening. That stuff is currently piled up on a table in the basement.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:11 PM   #37
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Not shown are my bench stones, waterstones and grinder, along with some stuff for flattening. That stuff is currently piled up on a table in the basement.

Thanks for the pics. I just got my Edge Pro from the UPS guy. It is an awesome setup, except one minor thing. The 1000 grit stone came shipped from shipping i would suppose. I already emailed Ben and he is taking care of me. I figured i might as well order spare stones If he is going to reship me a stone.

I watched his video 3x..lol
Old 02-10-2010, 01:11 AM   #38
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by luisc202 View Post
Thanks for the pics. I just got my Edge Pro from the UPS guy. It is an awesome setup, except one minor thing. The 1000 grit stone came shipped from shipping i would suppose. I already emailed Ben and he is taking care of me. I figured i might as well order spare stones If he is going to reship me a stone.

I watched his video 3x..lol
I'm sure Ben will fix you right up. He's good people! In the meantime you can get a good edge with just the 120/220/320/600, too. Did you get any polishing tapes with it? When you get it set up, start with a "beater" knife, but don't do too many bad ones...they'll just frustrate you. Don't worry about making a mistake- there's very little that you'll do with your EP that you won't be able to fix down the road. Try to stay loose; that's really one of the hardest things to do, but it's important. At first you'll want to hold the knife in a white-knuckle death-grip, but that's unnecessary, even counterproductive. Hold the knife with just enough force to keep it in place. And the same goes for the hand you're running the stone with. You don't need a lot of pressure. Use smooth, light strokes, especially while you're learning. Let the stone do the work for you. As Ben shows in the video, get yourself a Sharpie to color the edge, then you can easily tell what you're doing. Better still would be a sharpie & a 10X loupe. I waited a lot longer than I should have, now I wish I'd have bought it right when I got my EP! These 40 year old eyes really benefit from the ten power magnification.

Good luck with your EP! Let us know if you have any questions or problems once you've used it a few times.
Old 02-10-2010, 01:12 AM   #39
Head Chef

BTW, using a cookie sheet or baking dish as I show in the pic makes cleanup a lot easier. A heavier one would be nice, I'll probably dig one up when my Pro gets here.
Old 02-10-2010, 04:32 PM   #40
Assistant Cook

Quote:
BTW, using a cookie sheet or baking dish as I show in the pic makes cleanup a lot easier. A heavier one would be nice, I'll probably dig one up when my Pro gets here.

No cookie sheet is needed. This thing grips the table like a french whore . Wow this Edge pro is amazing!!! I just got done sharpening 2 knives and holly cow at 320 they slice paper.. What is hte water bottle for? Also how do oyu clean the stones? My 220 truned dark gray after 2 knives.