"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 02-10-2010, 04:54 PM   #41
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Check out this knife. It will not break the bank and it will make you a J blade enthusiast.

GB,

Thanks for the site. I just placed my first knife order. I am glad you guys are here because you stopped me from spending a grand on knives..lol

Thanks again,
Luis

Old 02-10-2010, 05:05 PM   #42
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by luisc202 View Post
No cookie sheet is needed. This thing grips the table like a french whore . Wow this Edge pro is amazing!!! I just got done sharpening 2 knives and holly cow at 320 they slice paper.. What is hte water bottle for? Also how do oyu clean the stones? My 220 truned dark gray after 2 knives.
They self clean when you flatten them.

"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and those who have met them in battle. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion." Unknown
buzzard767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 06:00 PM   #43
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post
They self clean when you flatten them.

I figured it out. Some soap and water and they clean quickly.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:18 PM   #44
Sous Chef

Quote:
I figured it out. Some soap and water and they clean quickly.
Don't use soap. Never use soap. Use only water and an abrasive. This happens automatically when you flatten the stones. I'm assuming you know that the stones need flattening.... yes? no? If no, you need a flattening medium.

"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and those who have met them in battle. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion." Unknown
Old 02-10-2010, 06:20 PM   #45
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post
Don't use soap. Never use soap. Use only water and an abrasive. This happens automatically when you flatten the stones. I'm assuming you know that the stones need flattening.... yes? no? If no, you need a flattening medium.

Ohhh ok. Did not know that. Thank you for the information. I ordered an extra set of stones to have for spares and the silicon carbide media to flatten the stone. I don't know how to flatten them though.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:39 PM   #46
Sous Chef

Quote:
Ohhh ok. Did not know that. Thank you for the information. I ordered an extra set of stones to have for spares and the silicon carbide media to flatten the stone. I don't know how to flatten them though.
Stones dish when they are used because the steel seldom touches the far ends. Although I've seen some ancient Arkansas stones that looked like the profile of a soup bowl and were used with some success, the bottom line is that the stones must be flat in order to hold a constant angle.

The silicon carbide, if it is in powder form, should work well. You will need a hard, flat surface though, like a granite reference plate or something. Here's what you can do inexpensively; Go to Home Depot or Lowes, borrow a carpenter's square from their tool department, and buy a square of ceramic tile (10" or greater) that passes the flat test. Then all you have to do is sprinkle some of that silicon carbide on the tile and rub the stone on it until it's flat. Make some X's in pencil on the stone first, and when they're gone the stone is flat.

I use a DMT XXC (extra extra coarse) diamond plate and flatten ALL of my stones under running water. Many people will say that the XXC should only be used to flatten coarse stones but it just ain't so. I use the XXC all the way to my 10k polishing stones with no issues whatsoever.

Old 02-10-2010, 10:46 PM   #47
Head Chef

The DMT isn't cheap but it's a great flattener and will last for a long time.
Old 02-12-2010, 12:39 AM   #48
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Check out this knife. It will not break the bank and it will make you a J blade enthusiast.

Just a heads-up for anyone interested in this knife; CKtG carries this same knife for the same price but offers free shipping. And a discount is also available, too. I have ordered from Korin and they're a great store, but CKtG is a fantastic seller, with an amazing selection of stuff (more than Korin by far where knives are concerned). Plus, they're in Wisconsin, so if you're a grain-belter like me shipping is lightning fast. No, I'm not on the payroll! I'm just a satisfied customer. The owner, Mark Richmond, is a knowledgeable guy and and has even accommodated me with some special orders.
Old 02-12-2010, 12:45 AM   #49
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Babcock View Post
Just a heads-up for anyone interested in this knife; CKtG carries this same knife for the same price but offers free shipping. And a discount is also available, too. I have ordered from Korin and they're a great store, but CKtG is a fantastic seller, with an amazing selection of stuff (more than Korin by far where knives are concerned). Plus, they're in Wisconsin, so if you're a grain-belter like me shipping is lightning fast. No, I'm not on the payroll! I'm just a satisfied customer. The owner, Mark Richmond, is a knowledgeable guy and and has even accommodated me with some special orders.

Thanks Rob for the heads up. I ordered from Mark the Sanotku of the Tojiro DP but forgot about this one. I will place my order as well for this one.
Old 02-12-2010, 01:34 AM   #50
Head Chef

You're gonna love how it comes off your Edge Pro. The edge is okay OOTB but you'll be amazed at how it will cut fresh off the highest-grit EP stones.