"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 11-13-2009, 07:44 AM   #1
Senior Cook

The great thing about sharpening your knife

I was slicing onions this morning and shaved some skin off without cutting myself.

Also... I could slice the onion really thinly and then when chopping it I only had to chop a given piece once. I was cut the first time

Also, I knew where the knife was sharpest cause I knew how I had sharpened it. I know that the next time I sharpen I can get the knife sharpest where I like to chop or cut with it the most.

Also... with the knife being sharp, you begin to see how the size and the design of the knife, whether it has some rock to it or whether it is a straight blade effects how you perform a particular cutting task. If you can find the right combination of deathly sharpness with a size and design and weight of knife that best fits what you are trying to do... you will in fact speed up.
Because it will feel comfortable and natural to you.

I hope I am making sense

Old 11-13-2009, 08:58 AM   #2
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilasman View Post
Also, I knew where the knife was sharpest cause I knew how I had sharpened it. I know that the next time I sharpen I can get the knife sharpest where I like to chop or cut with it the most.
Why wouldn't you go for an even sharpness over the entire blade? When I sharpen my knives every part is as sharp as every other part.

Old 11-13-2009, 06:54 PM   #3
Senior Cook

cause if you have a relatively long blade or a blade that has a bit of a curve in it or at the very tip of it, you have to be careful to sharpen those areas as well as you do the other areas.
Old 11-14-2009, 09:52 AM   #4
Chief Eating Officer

I understand that vilasman, but from your post it sounded like your aim was to sharpen different parts to different sharpness's.
Old 11-14-2009, 12:59 PM   #5
Master Chef

Like GB, I want my knife to have a uniform edge from tip to bolster (though my knife doesn't have a bolster)./ That allows me to use the part of the blade I need and know that it will make the job easier. If, for instance, I'm dicing a carrot, the blade heel is where most of the work is done. But If I'm slicing through a water mellon, then the entire blade is used. The same is true if I'm slicing a roast, the entire blade is used. If I'm doing detail work with my 10" Chef's knife, the tip comes into play (I know, I'm supposed to break out a paring or hawk's bill blade, but hey, it works for me). All parts of my knives are used and so all parts are as sharp as I can get them.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 10:17 PM   #6
Head Chef

The great thing about sharpening your knife...is that look on people's faces when you carefully hand them your knife! It's a cross of awe and fear that I never get tired of seeing.

For you EP fans, I got some custom stones a while back that I've been trying. I bought a Naniwa Choseras 400 and Shapton Professional Stones in 1k, 2k, 5k & 8k. I've also got two more Choseras on order, the 800 & the 2k. Just building the bevel with 400 I get an edge that will cleaning shave. By the time the knife comes off the 8,000 grit Shapton it's toasty indeed, almost spooky.
Old 11-28-2009, 05:49 AM   #7
Head Chef

I got my 800 & 2k Choceras; the 15k Shapton is in the mail. Be afraid. Be very afraid.
Old 12-02-2009, 05:22 PM   #8
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Babcock View Post
I got my 800 & 2k Choceras; the 15k Shapton is in the mail. Be afraid. Be very afraid.
You'll love this idea. In one of my science fiction novels, a character uses a kitchen knife made from carbon nanotubes with an edge thicknes of 1 molecule, and harder than diamond, but more resilient and much tougher than steel. Now that would be a knife.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Old 12-03-2009, 01:23 AM   #9
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North View Post
You'll love this idea. In one of my science fiction novels, a character uses a kitchen knife made from carbon nanotubes with an edge thicknes of 1 molecule, and harder than diamond, but more resilient and much tougher than steel. Now that would be a knife.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I'll take on in 240mm, please! Now, what will I use for a cutting board!
Old 12-03-2009, 05:16 PM   #10
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Babcock View Post
I'll take on in 240mm, please! Now, what will I use for a cutting board!
Wow! Now I have to come up with a super material for the cutting board. Hmmmmm. Maybe a board made of osmium. It's super hard and is the arguably the most dense of all elements, or maby a super ceramic cutting board made of carbon nano-tubes oriented in straight strands, like wood fibers. That way it can mimick a wood cutting block made from end-grain ceramic "boards". I hate having to re-write my re-writes.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North