"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 08-25-2008, 12:32 PM   #1
Senior Cook

The nakiri gets it's first sharpening and polish.

As you know, I have purchased a two nakiri style vegetable slicing knives, and I have decided against logical, focused thinking to make one of them "perfect."

The knife has now had the bevel made more uniform (it is a laminated knife, and the layers drive me crazy), and I have taken the edge all of the way to the 800 and 900 grit Edge Pro stones. The knife is a double bevel and that allows me to do most of the heavy lifting with the EP. The knife is now back in the freezer.

The polishing will commence with my most prized possessions, the glazier glass mounts. I tried to take this pic over newsprint and the grains of an oak table so you could appreciate the purity of this glass. The pic is of poor quality.

This is the junk I use just to "level the bevel."

Buzz, this pic is for you. In the words of Dark Wing Duck, "Let's get dangerous." This is the angle chosen for the nakiri.

When the knife has re-frozen a bit, I will begin polishing with a 2000 or 3000 grit paper on a more mundane paste. I will save the fun for the end.

Old 08-25-2008, 01:01 PM   #2
Senior Cook

The nakiri has just been polished with the initial polishing papers and the paste I use to begin the procedure.

So far the glaziers glass is a complete success. It hugs the bevel, no twisting, it glides very well, and the knife is now once again back in the freezer.

Old 08-25-2008, 02:15 PM   #3
Senior Cook

Yikes, this was a tad harder than I imagined it would be. The finer I polished the edge, the more and more micro-scratches appeared on the decorative portion of the bevel. I hate that. At first I simply figured I got a bad polishing tape, it happens. The new one was no better.

I figured the final polishing would have to be done by hand, but I wanted it fine and like a mirror.

I did have a swatch of some very fine stropping material sent to me by Keith over at Hand American. I decided to use that piece. I hand rubbed the finest grit paste I had into the swatch.

The knife is actually being buffed and sharpened here since there is an abrasive on the leather. I also "polished" a polishing tape after scrupulously cleaning the paper with ammonia-free windex and the same fine paste.

And so, my friends, here's the finished product. Three hours of questionable pain and a pointless quest to someday have a sous-chef look me right in the eye and tell me I haven't the faintest idea on how polishing a blade is properly done. (BTW, be careful! The edge screams..!)
Old 08-25-2008, 02:57 PM   #4
Head Chef

Wow chico!
Pretty impressive. I'm sure that the time and effort were worth it at first slice!
Old 08-25-2008, 02:59 PM   #5
Senior Cook

Funny you should mention that. Just like a kid, I had to try it. I made a slice, I thought I 'missed.' Yikes...

Old 08-25-2008, 08:21 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

Wow! Looks great!
Old 08-25-2008, 11:19 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus
Wow! Looks great!
Folks, this is my friend Ron. He goes by the name of "Locutus" on knife hobbyist forums. He is also a tinker.

He uses a slightly differing regimen than I use, and this will give you some insight into other sharpening systems. For example, Ron uses more strops and different grit strength pastes than I do.
Old 08-28-2008, 04:25 PM   #8
Head Chef

Wow, we're gettin' the whole gang over here! Any other members here from FoodieForums or KF?
Old 08-28-2008, 07:16 PM   #9
Senior Cook

Hey, Rob. Officially, I'm a ronin. As with any organization foolish enough to have me, I have to be a "prospect" until I win my colors.

But, it was time to go play with adults, and so I struck a deal with THR. They agreed to ban me, I agreed they were probably right.

FYI, I'm phasing out my business in tactical, and now Bada Bing Cutlery Emporium is all-kitchen-all-the-time.

For some odd reason my mercurial temper is a perfect fit for fugu chefs.
Old 08-28-2008, 11:34 PM   #10
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico Buller View Post
Funny you should mention that. Just like a kid, I had to try it. I made a slice, I thought I 'missed.' Yikes...
Looking good Chico.

"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and those who have met them in battle. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion." Unknown
buzzard767 is offline   Reply With Quote