"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 01-04-2013, 03:00 PM   #1
Senior Cook

The real thing carbon steel Chinese cleaver

For $7.95, how can you go wrong? I love carbon steel cutlery, and it is getting harder and harder to find, so this was a great website to stumble across. WOKSHOP.COM: Selling woks and Asian kitchenware for over 40 years | Woks | Wok Accessories | Cleavers & Knives | Rice Cookers & Hot Pots | Sushi & Sake | Chinese Crockery | Stoves | Asian Tableware | Kitchen Tools | Creative Corner (for caterers) | U

Old 01-04-2013, 03:46 PM   #2
Head Chef

I'll have to see what shipping runs. If the cleaver is even decent that's a good deal!

Old 01-04-2013, 03:58 PM   #3
Senior Cook

Shipping

I think with shipping it was just under $16.00, total, CA to NH. I'll post again when it gets here.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:03 AM   #4
Head Chef

Sorry for this, but it's Chinese junk. You could not give it to me. Buy American, Japanese or German, not China.You get what pay for! I have been given some knives made in China and have found the steel is almost like lead, they need constant sharping and just fail to meet any standard in my kitchen. Save you money and think quality if you really have use for it.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:59 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by salt and pepper View Post
Sorry for this, but it's Chinese junk.
you can sail it?

i was wondering what kind of quality could about a lb. of carbon steel be for only $8? you're probably right, s&p, but i am interested in getting a big cleaver so i'm gonna wait for stock pot's review.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:55 AM   #6
Senior Cook

I bought this beauty 40+ years ago in Chinatown Victoria. It keeps a razor sharp edge. I use a fine wet stone on it every month but it doesn't really need sharpening. Poor thing has seen same pretty rough action. When I was 'young and dumb' I even used it to cut kindling with hence all the hammer marks on the top. I don't know if the new ones have the same qualify steel. It's my number one favorite. I just checked out the site selling them. Yeah I've seen these in Chinatown and they ARE junk. Notice the difference on the wood handle on mine compared to these new ones? Look for one of these old beauties at swap meets etc.
Also the old cleavers are very thin. The new cheap ones are twice as thick.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2787.jpg
Views:	427
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	16755  
Old 01-05-2013, 08:43 PM   #7
Executive Chef

What is bothering me a bit is that the manufacturer is not listed, but rather that space is blank. Makes it so you cannot check into things further before purchasing.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:37 AM   #8
Head Chef

bought one years ago at a martin Yan demo. Probably wasnt the greatest quality, and im sure i paid too much, but it was my ' go to ' knife for a long time, until i decided to use it to crack open a coconut ( blade side first). Lets just say I learned a valuable lesson, and have not purchased another cleaver to replace the damaged on.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:36 AM   #9
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffin3 View Post
I bought this beauty 40+ years ago in Chinatown Victoria. It keeps a razor sharp edge. I use a fine wet stone on it every month but it doesn't really need sharpening. Poor thing has seen same pretty rough action. When I was 'young and dumb' I even used it to cut kindling with hence all the hammer marks on the top. I don't know if the new ones have the same qualify steel. It's my number one favorite. I just checked out the site selling them. Yeah I've seen these in Chinatown and they ARE junk. Notice the difference on the wood handle on mine compared to these new ones? Look for one of these old beauties at swap meets etc.
Also the old cleavers are very thin. The new cheap ones are twice as thick.
Notice how the blade is now a bit curved? When I bought it it was straight. That's a lot of use. LOL
Old 01-09-2013, 11:40 AM   #10
Senior Cook

Not bad

It just got here today. It looks well enough made and the edge touched up nicely. We'll see how it holds up after I've had a chance to use it a few times.

Tags
chinese