The stone sharpen thing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am not like Cutco. If thats your impresion, your quite mistaken.
I was just trying to offer my help.
I am affiliated with Ergo Chef, Just trying to show how simple it is to use a Diamond sharpening steel. It's not rocket science and if you watched the video you should get enouph from it to do it. Just have to practice a few times.
Lets keep the Door to Door Cutco people out of it.

The technique shown in the video is good.

Diamond steels were invented for people too lazy to sharpen their knives properly. Yes they will get an edge on a blade, but so will pull through and electric sharpeners and in the same vein you can use a brick to sharpen a knife so why bother with any fancy sharpening paraphernalia at all.

Has anyone mentioned the degree that the knife should be to the stone and steel? Should that be 20 degrees?

It depends on two things, the steel and the purpose. First of all, just to get it out of the way, German knives are sharpened from the factory at 22 to 25 degrees per side. Shun knives are 16. Most Japanese knives are less than 10, some much less.

The steel: German knives can't realistically be sharpened less than 15 degrees per side because of the attributes of the steel, fairly sharp, and the edge holds quite well. 18 degrees is a nice compromise. Most Japanese steel can be sharpened to much less than 10 degrees, but, do you want that?

Purpose: Vegetables and boneless meats - go for it. Whatever edge the steel is capable of. Very tough skinned veggies or bone in meats - be careful. Best in the 20 degree range for German knives and 15-20 for Japanese.

For Buzz.....

Thanks for the techno info. I can't see most people holding the tolerance between three degrees, repeatedly. I just thought a golf swing was difficult :LOL:

Thanks for the techno info. I can't see most people holding the tolerance between three degrees, repeatedly.

They can't. If you want perfectly flat bevels use an EdgePro. Freehanded bevels are always semi-convex due to human imperfection.

I just thought a golf swing was difficult :LOL:

The golf swing is not difficult. Repeating it is. ;) 7 handicap here....

Buzz

Watched the video....

Very interesting, the EdgePro, and, expensive. However, if I purchased it and all attachments, it would not be as expensive as one lesson with Butch Harmon.

Look what I found, Buzz....

I'm a display/graphics guy, and have a shop full of stuff. I ran across a Lansky sharpening system I bought ions ago. I remember it working quite well but is a little tedious to use. It has five sharpening stones and was fifty bucks, waaay back. I think I'll try it out.
About that golf thing, you 'gotta practice!!

I'm a display/graphics guy, and have a shop full of stuff. I ran across a Lansky sharpening system I bought ions ago. I remember it working quite well but is a little tedious to use. It has five sharpening stones and was fifty bucks, waaay back. I think I'll try it out.
About that golf thing, you 'gotta practice!!
y

Yeah, use the Lansky. They work just fine and will yield a serviceable edge. If you want really sharp and polished knives it's gonna cost you and you'd be entering a different world. I know lots of people who use Lanskys for hunting and camping trips.

As to golf, ya don't need to tell me. I play and practice 4-5 days a week year round.

Buzz

I just looked....

y

Yeah, use the Lansky. They work just fine and will yield a serviceable edge. If you want really sharp and polished knives it's gonna cost you and you'd be entering a different world. I know lots of people who use Lanskys for hunting and camping trips.

As to golf, ya don't need to tell me. I play and practice 4-5 days a week year round.

Buzz
....where you're located. Now I hate you :ROFLMAO: Dallas has ample weather to play golf, but not like where you are.

Yeah, Naples has the best weather in the country including Hawaii (too windy) November through early April. In the summer I'm in Wisconsin and that isn't too shabby either.

Buzz

Back
Top Bottom