"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 09-14-2008, 10:43 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

The stone sharpen thing

Yeah well I bought a cheap 9 dollar knife at Bed Bath and Beyond on sale. I got the 5 dollar steel to go with it. The knife worked great. one of them japanese knifes. I forget the name. Any way I wanted to try my hand at honing. I think I grinded the edge off the knife cuz now it wont cut. After doing some research on this board I found that I actaully need a stone to sharpen the knife and not just a steel like some tutorials on the web say. Any way I just want to know if I can use any sharpening stone or is there a brand I should aim for? Like something in the 20 to 30 dollar range? Any way great board I always like coming here.

Old 09-15-2008, 07:42 AM   #2
Sous Chef

there is a difference between honing and sharpening.

sharpening you are taking down the metal to obtain an edge.

honing you are straighting the tip or point of the blade.

there are sharpening steels.

Im not a knife expert but someone will chime in. there are some knife masters on here.

A good set of knives are a quality investment. Just make sure they fit comfortably in your hand and feel right. There is no 1 knife for everyone.

I think Santoku is the name your looking for.

Old 09-15-2008, 05:10 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Norton makes/made some pretty good abrasives. Spyderco has some nifty sharpening stones/files.
Old 09-17-2008, 11:20 AM   #4
Senior Cook

Sometimes people put the cart before the horse. Sharpening is one of those pursuits where that happens a lot. It's not so much the equipment you own, it's getting some background on the procedure and doing some practice.

For example, on a forum I haunt with other sharpeners, one member filmed himself sharpening a kitchen knife.

A Day On The Stones: Sharpening the Mizuno Tanrenjo Wa-Gyuto

He doesn't use any equipment other than stones of various grits from suppliers readily found on the 'net.

Obviously, you don't have to quick your day job and take up the trade, but the skills shown here can be learned by anyone.

There are also good 'guided systems,' like the Edge Pro that give people a good starting point. I'm one of them.

You weren't a good chef the first time you boiled water. Your skill developed over time. This is much the same idea.
Old 09-17-2008, 05:10 PM   #5
Head Chef

I use a Norton 3 stone system. Expensive but worth it.
Old 09-17-2008, 05:15 PM   #6
Master Chef

The ( dollar knife you can sharpen on a regular piece of brick. Doesn't really matter. It's all in the practise. I'm not making fun of anybody. This is what my mother did all her life with her cheap knives. When you get an expensive set or few knives and can afford expensive sharpening system then you can get something nice.
Old 09-18-2008, 01:09 AM   #7
Senior Cook

The only thing I would add is the requirement some chefs have for "plating" or presentation.

Yes, I can make an edge sharp using traditional stones that leave a more "toothy" edge. And a good chef or sous-chef can make a knife like that work very well.

However, many of these professionals want knives that are mirror finished and that leave perfect slices. A fugu chef absolutely needs a knife of this quality.

Another issue here is just the work load. If I cut one or two tomatoes for my wife, just about any knife will get the job done.

But a cook or a sous-chef in a major kitchen will spend hours of prep time cutting numerous vegetables, or mincing onions or blocking a large section of beef to create a restaurants 'signature' offering.

I loaned a butakiri to a sous-chef blocking a leg of beef. (Either a small leg of beef or the biggest lamb I have ever seen!) I watched the leg "fall apart" as he made some very educated cuts. He probably does this all day.

Finally, this is a business. My clients have expectations just as yours do. If a chef or private owner spends hundreds (or thousands) of dollars for a top-of-the-line knife, he expects the edge to shimmer like liquid silver.

Old 09-19-2008, 05:50 PM   #8
Sous Chef

[quote=Burnt_Toast;684292]After doing some research on this board I found that I actaully need a stone to sharpen the knife and not just a steel like some tutorials on the web say. Any way I just want to know if I can use any sharpening stone or is there a brand I should aim for? /quote]

You NEED the following.......

Just kidding. You probably aren't crazy like yours truly. I don't think you can get a quality edge at a $30 price but I'm sure others will contest that. For your case, now and in the future, you can do just fine with a King 1k/6k combination stone. Look around the Internet for a cheaper price. You also need something to flatten the stone - go to Lowes or Home Depot, "borrow" a carpenter's square from the tool department, and find a dead flat piece of granite or ceramic tile and also pick up some 220 grit wet/dry sandpaper. That's really all you need.

The edge on the knife you described will roll instead of chipping, so before each use, 'slice' it on the smooth edge of a glass baking dish alternating sides three times. This will realign the edge and you're set to go. When this no longer works, it's back to the King and start over.

"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and those who have met them in battle. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion." Unknown
buzzard767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 02:04 PM   #9
Sous Chef

Ok I was looking through old threads and this one is the most applicable to my situation.

I have quite a few knives, a few good ones and quite a few not so good. Mostly the cheap ones are still allegedly "forged" they all REALLY need a sharpening.

I bought but never used a stone (2 sided) and a steel (cheap ones from the restaurant supply store)

I would like to be able to sharpen my own knives as bringing them all to Fante's will break the bank. and the cheap ones are certainly not worth the cost of sharpening.

Some are SS and Some are Carbon Steel

Some tips on getting started would be appreciated... I really don't need a collection of over sized butter knives.

The cheaper knives I don't really care about keeping pretty or hurting so I would start with them... If I cant get them to be useful I will just chuck them. But if I can get them sharp enough for basic use that would be nice because I dont always like to worry about treating things nicely sometimes it is easier to have things I am not afraid to bang around a but.

The Whustof Santoku and the vintage Sabatier I am more hesitant to touch.... The Whustof has held its edge nicely despite quite a bit of use but it is getting duller. The Sabatier is an old carbon steel knife I picked up.. I have never used it but I would like to.

Thanks
Old 01-05-2009, 02:40 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

I am so glad that my random rantings have help someone.