Thin, flexible cutting boards OK?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

snickerdoodle

Senior Cook
I recently bought a new chef's knife (my first!) that I'm trying to take really good care of. I'm totally addicted to the thin, flexible cutting boards and that's what I've been cutting on with this new knife. I just want to make sure I'm not harming my new knife by using these cheap ones instead of a nice board. I have formica countertops and I'm starting to worry that the thin layer of plastic isn't enough to keep my new knife safe from the evil formica. Thoughts??

I personally think they dull knives pretty fast by cutting into a hard surface rather than the soft surface that other cutting boards have.

I only use a flaxible one when I am chopping something that I need to transfer. And I use it on top of a wood or plastic board.

I agree with Jenny and I do the same as she does. I use my thin ones on top of my wood board.

+1. If you're careful they're nice for mincing stuff that you want to transfer. But for day to day cutting you're better off getting something a bit more substantial.

I have a very large, thin, flexible cutting board. I don't much like it. I don't like the way the knife feels in my hand when I chop. I pretty much only use it when I'm cutting up a whole pork tenderloin into freezer portions. It's the only thing I have that's big enough.

Back
Top Bottom