Tired of cheapo knives.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It should be stated that that "toothy" edge mentioned above is microscopic. What a standard steel or ceramic hone does is to straighten or realign those microscopic teeth to keep the knife sharp. Once that tiny burr along the edge wears off, a hone will no longer work to keep the knife sharp. It must then be resharpened by removing material to recreate the sharp edge.

The only time I've ever seen a strop used was in a barber shop to strop a razor before shaving a customer. I've never seen a reason for a kitchen knife to have an edge sharp enough to shave with. I keep my knives very sharp, but that is taking it to a level that most cooks don't need.
Not what I was talking about, I was talking about knives in general not just kitchen knives. Some people prefer a toothy edge, that is less polished, I wasn't talking about imperfections in the edge just a more toothy edge and they certainly are not microscopic. In general I like a polished edge and use a strop on most of my knives. I do have a couple of heavy duty knives like the Becker/Ka Bar BK2 on which I leave the edge a little on the toothy side as it's more fitting for it's purpose.

Not what I was talking about, I was talking about knives in general not just kitchen knives. Some people prefer a toothy edge, that is less polished, I wasn't talking about imperfections in the edge just a more toothy edge and they certainly are not microscopic. In general I like a polished edge and use a strop on most of my knives. I do have a couple of heavy duty knives like the Becker/Ka Bar BK2 on which I leave the edge a little on the toothy side as it's more fitting for it's purpose.

Then you must use an awfully coarse stone if you can see the burr that's left behind. I can't, even with a magnifying glass.

I'm not talking about a burr, I'm talking about the appearance of the actual cutting edge and the amount of polishing given it. For a kitchen knife I polish for a heavy duty outdoor knife I do not polish it, simple as that.

Back
Top Bottom