"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-25-2007, 11:18 PM   #11
Sous Chef
 
buzzard767's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Naples, FL & Wausau, WI
Posts: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelemarie View Post
Wow Andy - I am interested to hear what the technically inclined members have to say. I am a HUGE fan of kyocera ceramic knives. I might buy one just to see the difference.
Ever try to sharpen one?????

Buzz
__________________

__________________
buzzard767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 07:56 AM   #12
Executive Chef
 
Michelemarie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Suburb of Chicago, IL
Posts: 2,614
Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
No, you are not supposed to sharpen them yourself. For a $5 flat rate (for up to 3 knives) the company will sharpen them for you. However, these knives are supposed to stay sharper longer - and so far - in my experience - they have. They are as sharp as the day I bought them so I have not sent them for sharpening yet.
__________________

__________________
Michele Marie
Michelemarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 10:11 AM   #13
Sous Chef
 
buzzard767's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Naples, FL & Wausau, WI
Posts: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelemarie View Post
No, you are not supposed to sharpen them yourself. For a $5 flat rate (for up to 3 knives) the company will sharpen them for you. However, these knives are supposed to stay sharper longer - and so far - in my experience - they have. They are as sharp as the day I bought them so I have not sent them for sharpening yet.
You certainly are pushing. We'll see what you think when you drop one on a marble countertop and the edge chips or the tip breaks. I believe ceramics are a fad, like santokus and glass cutting boards.

Buzz
__________________
buzzard767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 10:15 AM   #14
Executive Chef
 
Michelemarie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Suburb of Chicago, IL
Posts: 2,614
Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
Fad or not, I love them. They can be more fragile, but I have not broke one yet - and it has been quite some time. Any knife I buy in the future will be ceramic.
__________________
Michele Marie
Michelemarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 10:24 AM   #15
Chief Eating Officer
 
GB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: USA,Massachusetts
Posts: 25,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post
You certainly are pushing. We'll see what you think when you drop one on a marble countertop and the edge chips or the tip breaks. I believe ceramics are a fad, like santokus and glass cutting boards.

Buzz
I do not think it is a fad at all. Many people use them and love them. Sure they are fragile and there is a danger of chipping or shattering them, but as with any tool, you need to respect it and treat it appropriately. I know of plenty of people who have dropped their ceramic knives on hard floors and done no damage. I also know of plenty of people who have dropped their metal knives and had a tip break or a ding put in the cutting edge.

As for santokus being a fad, that must be the longest running fad in history. Santokus have been around in Japan for quite a while.
__________________
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 10:34 AM   #16
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,362
The benefit of the brand I referenced is the price of their premium line. I can get one of their 6" chef's knives made of zirconium carbide for about $100. The Kyocera equivalent (Kyotop) is about $300.

It's my understanding that the carbide version is harder still than the oxide version and less prone to chipping.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 07:45 PM   #17
Sous Chef
 
buzzard767's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Naples, FL & Wausau, WI
Posts: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
I do not think it is a fad at all. Many people use them and love them. Sure they are fragile and there is a danger of chipping or shattering them, but as with any tool, you need to respect it and treat it appropriately. I know of plenty of people who have dropped their ceramic knives on hard floors and done no damage. I also know of plenty of people who have dropped their metal knives and had a tip break or a ding put in the cutting edge.

As for santokus being a fad, that must be the longest running fad in history. Santokus have been around in Japan for quite a while.
I beg to differ. Traditional Japanese kitchen cutlery includes such really REALLY great knives like nakiris, sujihikis, various debas, chukabochos, etc. Santokus and Gyutos are relatively new. In the US we call it marketing.

Buzz
__________________
buzzard767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 07:52 PM   #18
Chief Eating Officer
 
GB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: USA,Massachusetts
Posts: 25,509
I dxid not say that they were not relatively new. That still does not mean that they have not been around for a while.
__________________
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 09:43 PM   #19
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 3,619
Buzz, you crack me up! I love a guy with strong opinions. But I still love the Santoku knives I have - they really do help keep sticky foods from sticking to the blade.
__________________
Fisher's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 10:09 PM   #20
Sous Chef
 
buzzard767's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Naples, FL & Wausau, WI
Posts: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher's Mom View Post
Buzz, you crack me up! I love a guy with strong opinions. But I still love the Santoku knives I have - they really do help keep sticky foods from sticking to the blade.
Mmmmm. There's nothing wrong with santokus. All I said was they are a fad. Everyone thinks they're wonderful, expecially those knives with granton blades. They are blessed by so called culinary experts as a big improvement over standard chef's knives because the blades are wider and thus can scoop more veggies in a single swipe.

I have some not so new news: Granton blades were preceded by hollow ground blades centuries ago. The entire blade does what the cute little oval shaped indentations do except better, AND, when the knife is aging and worn to the grantons because of sharpening, the hollow ground blades are not downgraded to glorified serrated bread knives like the "newest and greatest" will.

Furthermore, the wide blade thing - my main vegetable slicer is a Japanese chukaboacho, 220 x 110mm wide. Thin to win. Consider it a big heavy razor blade, and it can out scoop any two santokus on the planet combined.

Again, no problem that santokus exist, but I personally have no use for hybrid knives when there are others that do the same jobs better.

That's my story and I'm stick'n to it.

Buzz
__________________

__________________
buzzard767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.