"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 12-19-2007, 10:32 AM   #51
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I still haven't used it!

Last night we had roast chicken and brown rice. No need for a knife. Over the weekend was the same kind of thing. Tonight it's - off to a restaurant.

Maybe one day...
Time to man up and sacrifice an onion. If need be, we'll take up a collection and PayPal you replacement cost for the produce. Just give us the dish!

Old 12-19-2007, 11:00 AM   #52
Certified Pretend Chef

OK, OK. I diced an onion.

It's much lighter than the steel counterpart I have on the wall. It's very sharp and did a good job of making a whole onion into a lot of tiny pieces.

It is comfortable for me to use. The key will be that it will stay this sharp for a long time. Right now I'm glad I got it. I have to use it more to form a real opinion.

The problem is, it's not magnetic. I kave my knives on a magnetic strip on the wall. The Kyocera won't stick to the magnet. I currently have it in a knife safe in a drawer.

Old 12-19-2007, 01:11 PM   #53
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:

Last night we had roast chicken and brown rice. No need for a knife.
I think those rice grains could have been made a little smaller.

Enjoy the knife Andy. I can't wait to hear what you think after you have played with it for a while.
Old 12-19-2007, 01:13 PM   #54
Certified Pretend Chef

When the knife arrived, I gave SO the litany of how sharp and how brittle it was and how careful you had to be or it would break. She told me to keep it away from her. She'd never touch it. Exactly the reaction I wanted.
Old 12-19-2007, 01:52 PM   #55
Cook

I feel the same way about my roommate and my cooking supplies... and they are not even that nice!
Old 12-19-2007, 04:04 PM   #56
Senior Cook

Quote:
OK, OK. I diced an onion.

It's much lighter than the steel counterpart I have on the wall. It's very sharp and did a good job of making a whole onion into a lot of tiny pieces.

It is comfortable for me to use. The key will be that it will stay this sharp for a long time. Right now I'm glad I got it. I have to use it more to form a real opinion.

The problem is, it's not magnetic. I kave my knives on a magnetic strip on the wall. The Kyocera won't stick to the magnet. I currently have it in a knife safe in a drawer.
It should stick. As I mentioned somewhere else in this thread, they have to put metal in them so airport metal detectors can pick them up (can't have Osama and his merry band of chefs taking over a plane with a santoku). That's really weird it's not. How strong is the magnet?
Old 12-19-2007, 04:43 PM   #57
Cook

Some unmagnetized metals will still go off in a metal detector... perhaps the metal just isn't magnetic.
Old 12-19-2007, 05:01 PM   #58
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppinfresh View Post
It should stick. As I mentioned somewhere else in this thread, they have to put metal in them so airport metal detectors can pick them up (can't have Osama and his merry band of chefs taking over a plane with a santoku). That's really weird it's not. How strong is the magnet?

Whether it should stick or not, it doesn't.

The magnet is strong enough to hold up all my other knives. There is no magnetic attraction with this knife.

I regularly travel to our timeshare in Aruba with two metal knives in my luggage with no problems. As long as you check your bag, the knives are OK.
Old 12-19-2007, 06:52 PM   #59
Sous Chef

Quote:
I regularly travel to our timeshare in Aruba with two metal knives in my luggage with no problems. As long as you check your bag, the knives are OK.
Ceramic knives are required to have metal in the handle to keep them from passing through airport metal detectors. Checked luggage is a different story.
Old 11-24-2008, 09:00 AM   #60
Cook

my main reason for not buying one for my wife is you have to send them back to be sharpend.