"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-19-2007, 10:32 AM   #51
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: our house....in the middle of our street.
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I still haven't used it!

Last night we had roast chicken and brown rice. No need for a knife. Over the weekend was the same kind of thing. Tonight it's - off to a restaurant.

Maybe one day...
Time to man up and sacrifice an onion. If need be, we'll take up a collection and PayPal you replacement cost for the produce. Just give us the dish!
__________________

__________________
nathanKent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 11:00 AM   #52
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,379
OK, OK. I diced an onion.

It's much lighter than the steel counterpart I have on the wall. It's very sharp and did a good job of making a whole onion into a lot of tiny pieces.

It is comfortable for me to use. The key will be that it will stay this sharp for a long time. Right now I'm glad I got it. I have to use it more to form a real opinion.

The problem is, it's not magnetic. I kave my knives on a magnetic strip on the wall. The Kyocera won't stick to the magnet. I currently have it in a knife safe in a drawer.
__________________

__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 01:11 PM   #53
Chief Eating Officer
 
GB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: USA,Massachusetts
Posts: 25,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post

Last night we had roast chicken and brown rice. No need for a knife.
I think those rice grains could have been made a little smaller.

Enjoy the knife Andy. I can't wait to hear what you think after you have played with it for a while.
__________________
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 01:13 PM   #54
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,379
When the knife arrived, I gave SO the litany of how sharp and how brittle it was and how careful you had to be or it would break. She told me to keep it away from her. She'd never touch it. Exactly the reaction I wanted.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 01:52 PM   #55
Cook
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Posts: 80
I feel the same way about my roommate and my cooking supplies... and they are not even that nice!
__________________
Hawkeye16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 04:04 PM   #56
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
OK, OK. I diced an onion.

It's much lighter than the steel counterpart I have on the wall. It's very sharp and did a good job of making a whole onion into a lot of tiny pieces.

It is comfortable for me to use. The key will be that it will stay this sharp for a long time. Right now I'm glad I got it. I have to use it more to form a real opinion.

The problem is, it's not magnetic. I kave my knives on a magnetic strip on the wall. The Kyocera won't stick to the magnet. I currently have it in a knife safe in a drawer.
It should stick. As I mentioned somewhere else in this thread, they have to put metal in them so airport metal detectors can pick them up (can't have Osama and his merry band of chefs taking over a plane with a santoku). That's really weird it's not. How strong is the magnet?
__________________
Poppinfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 04:43 PM   #57
Cook
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Posts: 80
Some unmagnetized metals will still go off in a metal detector... perhaps the metal just isn't magnetic.
__________________
Hawkeye16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 05:01 PM   #58
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppinfresh View Post
It should stick. As I mentioned somewhere else in this thread, they have to put metal in them so airport metal detectors can pick them up (can't have Osama and his merry band of chefs taking over a plane with a santoku). That's really weird it's not. How strong is the magnet?

Whether it should stick or not, it doesn't.

The magnet is strong enough to hold up all my other knives. There is no magnetic attraction with this knife.

I regularly travel to our timeshare in Aruba with two metal knives in my luggage with no problems. As long as you check your bag, the knives are OK.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 06:52 PM   #59
Sous Chef
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 808
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I regularly travel to our timeshare in Aruba with two metal knives in my luggage with no problems. As long as you check your bag, the knives are OK.
Ceramic knives are required to have metal in the handle to keep them from passing through airport metal detectors. Checked luggage is a different story.
__________________
jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 09:00 AM   #60
Cook
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Michigan
Posts: 74
my main reason for not buying one for my wife is you have to send them back to be sharpend.
__________________

__________________
SShepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.