"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 04-09-2008, 12:53 PM   #21
Head Chef

Yeah, you have to be careful. I think some slips are inevitable; humans make mistakes. I spend so much time with a knife in my hand that the law of averages pretty much guarentees I'll get bit occasionally. Just last nite I got a pretty good nick/scratch from my 8" Wusthof chef knife. I was putting my knives all back in the case at the end of my shift and absent mindedly grabbed it by the blade guard to push it into the pocket; turns out the guard was a bit "sprung" and slipped off and I ran my middle finger along the edge. Not much, just a very light brush but I keep all my knives so sharp that the skin just melted. I barely felt it but there was quite a bit of blood (I'm a real bleeder, and nick and I spurt!).

Old 04-09-2008, 01:02 PM   #22
Master Chef

I'm a bleeder, too......but I was tested and I'm in the norm.....****........it sure does bleed for a long time for norm limits....however.........

Old 04-09-2008, 08:02 PM   #23
Executive Chef

I'm a major bleeder as well. You can also get fish cleaning gloves that help from the fishing section at most sporting goods stores. I cut myself more by bumping into knive when it's laying on the cutting board.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:29 PM   #24
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcgrew View Post
I'm a major bleeder as well. You can also get fish cleaning gloves that help from the fishing section at most sporting goods stores. I cut myself more by bumping into knive when it's laying on the cutting board.
how do you "bump" into a knife???????? are you by yourself when this happens?????? God, I'd be fingerless by now...... Jest kidding JG!!
Old 04-09-2008, 08:44 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
i

I have a knife glove but only use it when using my mandoline because I don't like the guard.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:45 PM   #26
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatgirl View Post
how do you "bump" into a knife???????? are you by yourself when this happens?????? God, I'd be fingerless by now...... Jest kidding JG!!
Yup, if the knife is really sharp I sometimes bump it with the side of my hand. That's when I truly know it's sharp. The bleeding thing is really annoying because it's usually when you are trying to pull something together quickly but at the same time trying to not bleed all over the food.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:48 PM   #27
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E View Post
I have a knife glove but only use it when using my mandoline because I don't like the guard.
You only need to cut yourself once on a mandoline and you will never want that to happen again. It's the most horrible feeling.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:14 PM   #28
Master Chef

That's it......I'm going to order a pair of those babies.........people over here think that we're spoiled rich Americans anyway.....might as well prolong the illusion......:):):)
Old 04-09-2008, 09:54 PM   #29
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatgirl View Post
That's it......I'm going to order a pair of those babies.........people over here think that we're spoiled rich Americans anyway.....might as well prolong the illusion......:):):)
I have a pair and use them . sometimes I even put food service gloves over them , so the cut resistant one won't get dirty. They are washable but I prefer the extra clean protection.
Old 04-09-2008, 11:49 PM   #30
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E View Post
No friggin' doubt! A mandolin has to be the most dangerous appliance in the kitchen, with the possible exception of the slicer. Every time you get bit by it it's always thru the thumbnail or fingernail right into the meat! The worst gashes I've ever got in the kitchen were on a mandoline.