Vintage Knife Usage?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chris_with_a_knife

Assistant Cook
Hey guys, new the forum here. I have been working in commercial kitchens for a bit now (5, almost 6 years) and have gotten a slight obsession with knives. My favorite knives are thrift store knives I can get for .10-2.00 and sharpen up, clean up, polish, etc... However, due to my lack of age (21) I do not know what some of the knives are or are used for.

Question: What is this knife?

I know it isn't too old (has stainless steel, Japan printed on it), but I have no clue what it's use it. In case the photo isn't clear enough, one edge has a pretty crap steak knife serrated edge and the other a just a lousy double bevel.

IMG_5970.jpg

EDIT: I couldn't figure out how to post the photo at first, but I figured it out.

Last edited:
For some reason I can't see a pic... otherwise I could possibly help haha. But welcome! I'm new here too...I'm not even sure how to use this forum thing exactly

I mean if I am able to get that serrated edge off, I am all game, but not sure if my stone is heavy duty enough to manage. Just seems strange to stab meat and cut it with the same implement.

It's a bartenders fruit & olive knife.

I'm in MT too,Whitehall, where are you? Welcome to DC.

Last edited:
Chris, please don't take off the serrated edge!
It is not a knife you see every day - so as cheap as you might think it is, it is still special. :D

Back
Top Bottom