We're not kidding.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chico Buller

Washing Up
Lots of people refer to their knives as "razor sharp." Professional tinkers don't even bother with that old term. We refer to our edges as 'spooky' or 'toasty.'

We use Japanese waterstones, paste and glaziers glass to buff our edges.

The only way I can describe feeling this edge is to say it's like 1,000 microscopic piranhas nibbling into your fingerprints. It actually feels like something is moving. Another name for this is "tickling the dragon."

This is a CRKT Ringed Razel I polished this morning.

img_661468_0_04bd98f42c007ef248e6c68b489a3fbd.jpg

That Razel is just a licensed copy of a Graham knife. In short, an eighty dollar sportsman's knife.

A Japanese laminate gyuto or sashimi worth a several hundred or a few thousand bucks is simply...inspiring...

That's a great looking picture with the reflections and all.

I'm not your traditional computer/camera guy. I tell my clients "mirror" finish, and I have really no professional way to show them. The reflection is the answer for guys like me.

But there's more to it. If you could imagine looking at a traditional edge under a very high-powered lighted loupe' you would see what appeared to be a mountain range.

Using fine polishing papers, pastes and glaziers glass allows me to polish all of those minute tools marks off the edge. Yes, the decorative edge is pretty, but the edge itself is of the same qaulity.

Katie E said:
That is a beautiful edge, Chico.

...ahh, and that's why I make the big bucks...

There's nothing like telling a sous-chef with a hair-trigger temper that his creme brulee smells like hassenpfeffer pureed with bunny scuts and then handing him a razor of a butakiri and an invoice...

It's why I'm the man I am today. A bundle of tact.

Truth of the matter, I really 'zen' with the wet rocks.

I recommend that all serious cooks and chefs get into Japanese cookware, or at least develop an account with a tinker.

When you work with superior tools you'll find that other aspects of your hobby or job bring you joy.

For example, let's suppose your signature dish is a tasty paella. I have just put a spooky sharp edge on your usuba or your nakiri and someone got you a shiny new bamboo cutting board.

Can you imagine the fun you'll have that afternoon during the preparation?

I froze and sharpened a simple five-inch Pampered Chef utility knife for my wife for routine jobs in cooking our nightly dinner. She has knives all over the house. But this one was hers, and she had a blast.

Here's what I tell reluctant potential clients: Go to a local kitchen service and supply store in your area. Take with you an old dull or damaged knife that used to be one of your favorites. Have it professionally sharpened and polished. Then cook that signature dish.

Like him or not, if you get a chance go to Alton Brown's home-page. He has a section on Shun knives. When you click on that page, go half-way down to a sentence called "See the Video."

Believe it or not, it is a great tutorial.

http://www.altonbrown.com/shun/shun_edge.html

Chico, nice edge but correct me if i'm wrong but don't you use an edge pro? Anyone can hold a knife in a machine. Why don't you use stones? W.b.

Chico, nice edge but correct me if i'm wrong but don't you use an edge pro? Anyone can hold a knife in a machine. Why don't you use stones? W.b.

Yeah, anyone can hold a knife in a machine just like anyone can hit a golf ball with a club. If you've ever used and EP you'll know there's worlds of potential that it takes a lot of practice and skill to unlock. BTW, the EP does use stones- and Chico uses a lot more than those.

Yeah, anyone can hold a knife in a machine just like anyone can hit a golf ball with a club. If you've ever used and EP you'll know there's worlds of potential that it takes a lot of practice and skill to unlock. BTW, the EP does use stones- and Chico uses a lot more than those.

Ain't it the truth. I like to profile with an EP because I know exactly what is being produced, angle wise. Once an edge is established I can do as good a job freehanding. The finished product is good enough to be proud of but my efforts would never be considered a work of art, just a **** good edge. I have personally watched Chico sharpen in Madison and his results are definitely museum quality. There is much more to it, vai777, than simply holding a knife in a machine.

Chico Buller said:
I froze and sharpened a simple five-inch Pampered Chef utility knife for my wife
I've seen this mentioned a couple of times now. Could you elaborate on the "freezing" part? What does this accomplish? Does it affect the steel itself, or make the job easier in some way?

Thanks for taking the time!

-Dawk

i've seen this mentioned a couple of times now. Could you elaborate on the "freezing" part? What does this accomplish? Does it affect the steel itself, or make the job easier in some way?

Thanks for taking the time!

-dawk

it does absolutely nothing. Just something to say to try and make him sound like an expert and to try and get more business. W.b.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom