"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives
Old 01-30-2007, 04:08 AM   #11
Sous Chef
For example, I have a santoku style knife, but apparently I cannot use a knife properly because the indentions don't help my slices from sticking to the blade.
I don't think this is an indication of faulty technique. The kullens just don't always work that way. I LOVE my santoku for chopping--even better than my chef's because there is more knife in contact with the board with the rocking action.

I know I need to get a serated knife because nothing I have will cut a tomato or bread worth a darn.
Your knives need to be sharpened. I can cut a summer tomato with my 10"chef's knife. That said, there are "tomato knives" that are serrated.
An a serrated bread knife is a necessity/nicety because it keeps you from having to press and compress the loaf of bread. But I have never seen the need to spend the BIG bucks for the name brand bread knives. I have a Victorinox bread knife that is just fine for 1/3 the cost of a Wusthof, for example.

Candocook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 08:36 AM   #12
Senior Cook
I agree. Since serrated knives can't be re-sharpened as well as the straight knives, I won't spend big bucks on them. (Same for paring knives, which usually don't stay around long.)

TexanFrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 09:25 AM   #13
Executive Chef
Send a message via MSN to YT2095
a Chinese cleaver is invaluable in the kitchen, it`s my most commonly used blade as it does most jobs perfecly, a thin sereated type for Bread and the likes and a very fine (almost surgical) blade for the really small work like fish etc...

that about covers all bases really, the Ballance has to be right as does the quality, and it must "Feel" right also, a bit like a pair of good shoes :)

So long and Thanks for all the Fish ;)

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote