"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 10-05-2010, 05:46 PM   #31
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle0k View Post
Also are there palces I can go to see and feel all these name brand knives. I know I saw them at bed bath and beyond , but they are either just in boxes or all screwed into the block. The problem is that I am 6' and my GF is 5'2"(with our hands proportionate to our heights) So I could easily go with a 10" while for her it might be too big... so we have to go and see what fits both of us the best.
That is a problem. I'm 6' 2" and am most comfortable with an 8" chef's knife. If BB&B won't let you handle the knives, you need to go elsewhere. The BB&B we have here will open up the display case and let you handle a knife.

Maybe a 10" for you and a 6"-7" santouku for your GF would be a good idea. The santouku is lighter and has a different balance and will do pretty much the same work as a chef's.

Old 10-05-2010, 06:02 PM   #32
Head Chef

Not to be argumentative, you did buy a fashion accessory. Think about it. You just paid $1,30 each for knives. Now you want a good chef's knife with your remaining budget based on 3 rivets and a black handle.
Forschner, Dexter, Henkel, Wusthof, all make chef's knives in the $50 dollar range. Of those, Forschner generally gets the best reviews, followed by Dexter. Both these can be found in professional settings. Get an in drawer block, or make one, a paring knife from one of these brands, and an edgemaker pro sharpener. Keep the user knives in a drawer out of site.

Old 10-05-2010, 06:30 PM   #33
Assistant Cook

I guess when you say fasion accessory I see handbags not anything that you buy to look stylish/good. No arguments there, it is what it is.

Thanks for that list of good companies, thats exactly what I was looking for. Is Zwilling J.A. Henckels TWINŽ Signature Chef's Knife, 8" - Chefs Knives Cutlery - Kitchen - Macy's a good knife? Seems like its on sale at macy's so maybe I shoudl stop by there and look at it and try it out. This is the German steel henckels and from my understanding the twin series is legit?
Old 10-05-2010, 06:46 PM   #34
Sous Chef

If this is what you bought, Walmart.com: Mainstays Triple Rivet 21-Piece Cutlery Set in Wood Block: Kitchen & Dining Then why buy anything else? That set never needs sharpening!
Old 10-05-2010, 07:06 PM   #35
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAchef View Post
If this is what you bought, Walmart.com: Mainstays Triple Rivet 21-Piece Cutlery Set in Wood Block: Kitchen & Dining Then why buy anything else? That set never needs sharpening!
I know you were being sarcastic , but yes that is what I bought! And for the 1% of the time that I need anything but a chef's knife that set will actually not need to be sharpened and will due just fine! Thats why I am trying to find a good quality chef's knife
Old 10-05-2010, 07:08 PM   #36
Cook

Quote:
Is Zwilling J.A. Henckels TWINŽ Signature Chef's Knife, 8" - Chefs Knives Cutlery - Kitchen - Macy's a good knife? Seems like its on sale at macy's so maybe I shoudl stop by there and look at it and try it out. This is the German steel henckels and from my understanding the twin series is legit?
If the knife is genuine Henckels, then any Henckels 8" the same is good. Try holding it. Does it feel comfy? Is the 8 inch knife too big or, would a smaller 6 inch be better for you? The one in your link looks very nice, but only buy from reputable stores because there are fakes around.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:09 PM   #37
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
...Zwilling J.A. Henckels TWINŽ Signature Chef's Knife, 8" - Chefs Knives Cutlery - Kitchen - Macy's a good knife? Seems like its on sale at macy's so maybe I shoudl stop by there and look at it and try it out. This is the German steel henckels and from my understanding the twin series is legit?
Just a tip. When looking at Henkels, the logo is the key to quality. When you see two stick figures in the logo, that's their premium line of knives. When you see a single stick figure, it's their bargain line of knives.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:01 PM   #38
Head Chef

The Twin Signature is stamped, not forged like their better, more expensive knives. While that doesn't make it a bad knife, it makes me question whether it would be any better than a Forschner. Of course, it has riveted handles that will match your other knives better. Given the approach you've adopted towards your tools I suppose it will probably serve you well enough.

However, in the long run you'd be better off just using the junkie block set for awhile and saving your pennies towards one decent chef's knife. It will probably cost around $65-$100, there's no getting around that. There just aren't a lot of super high quality knives that are much cheaper. But it's your money and your priorities. Good luck with your search.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:41 PM   #39
Assistant Cook

Ok guys,
So yesterday we went around stores to try whats most comfortable for us.

We really fell in love with how the 8" wusthof's felt in both our hands. Is there specific lines we should stay away from, or any recommendations on which one of their lines we should get? I have expanded the price range to 80 if its for a quality wusthof. A couple I have came across while shopping around are the "classics", "classic hollow edge" ,"gourmet" ,"classic ikon". Can someone explain the differences and give suggestions? Seems like every brand, good or not has good lines and trash ones.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:48 PM   #40
Certified Pretend Chef

Based on your preferences, I'd go with the Classic. It's a very good knife. I have the Henckels equivalent in the Professional S.