"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 10-07-2010, 01:15 PM   #41
Assistant Cook

ok, so I'm guessing gourmet is their garbage line, because I see its alot cheaper? Also their "cooks" knives are the same thing as their "chef's" knives correct?

Old 10-07-2010, 01:23 PM   #42
Certified Pretend Chef

I think you're right on both counts.

Old 10-07-2010, 02:03 PM   #43
Assistant Cook

Ok I'm ready to pull the trigger and have one last qusetion about them, and this might sound like a dumb question. Just like all other higher end items, Are there fake ones out there? The reason im asking is most are in the 90-120 range, and I found one on ebay for 70, brand new in box. Seems like a reputable seller with over 5k feedback, but still wary when I finds deals that stick out so much. Anything in particular to look at? Or is this not a worry for knives.
Old 10-07-2010, 02:45 PM   #44
Certified Pretend Chef

I don't know the answer to that. I've never heard of fake kitchen knives.
Old 10-07-2010, 02:55 PM   #45
Chief Eating Officer

I think what he is talking about is counterfeit knives Andy. and yes there are counterfeit Wustof and Henckels out there although I do not remember specifically what to look for. Google counterfeit wustof though and I am sure you will find what you need.
Old 10-07-2010, 02:56 PM   #46
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
I think what he is talking about is counterfeit knives Andy. and yes there are counterfeit Wustof and Henckels out there although I do not remember specifically what to look for. Google counterfeit wustof though and I am sure you will find what you need.
I got that, GB. Fake is easier to type than coun......t.
Old 10-07-2010, 03:08 PM   #47
Master Chef

Well, if you did not find any "difference between expensive knives and 10 dollar ones", why would you need our advize to begin with. Buy what ever you can afford or looks good on your counter and be done with that.
Old 10-07-2010, 06:39 PM   #48
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Well, if you did not find any "difference between expensive knives and 10 dollar ones", why would you need our advize to begin with. Buy what ever you can afford or looks good on your counter and be done with that.
While I cannot tell the difference, that doesnt mean there isnt one, and I acknowledge that there is and thats exactly why Im here

So I bought the 8 inch wusthof classic I'm excited for it to come in.

Now my next questions have to do with maintanance. Can I use the steel that came with the cheap set for routine maintanance(read that its good to use the steel to get rid of burs) or do I need a better one. Also I am planning on getting the edge maker pro like recommended by you guys when this starts to dull. For someone that uses it 5 times a week or so, how often is sharpening needed. I know that really depends on the amount of cutting and what your cutting, but I just want a ballpark answer to know whether its weekly or once a year.

Thanks everyone for their help, you guy's have been very patient and great!
Old 10-07-2010, 07:56 PM   #49
Certified Pretend Chef

Congrats! You'll love the Wusthof.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:24 PM   #50
Head Chef

If you always use an end grain wood cutting board, or carefully use a decent plastic one, then you won't dull it very fast at home. If you were to use the yellow Edgemaker Pro (the honer) maybe once or twice a month you'd never need to do much else. While you can use the steel that it comes with you'd be way better off with the Edgemaker Pro. And it's only $10 with free shipping. Sure, it would be a good idea to get the complete set but if you don't let your knife get super dull you'll never need much more than the yellow honer.

I think you'll really like the Wusthof. It's a good quality knife. And their warranty service is top notch. If you ever have a problem they'll fix or replace the knife, pretty much forever. Plus, they've been around for a couple hundred years so I'd consider them a safe bet.