What set is best for me?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you want to spend Cutco money, you could really get some high end knives. Cutco are those never need sharpening (also known as can't sharpen them knives) right? Yeah they offer free "resharpening" but 20 seconds across my sharpener keeps mine sharp and I don't have to send it through the mail and wait for it to come back.

I have a Kapoosh knife block that I have used for about 3 years and it is awesome! It will hold any shape or size knife. From reading the reviews I wouldn't use the "never need sharpening" knives in one, because they would tear it up, but my Whustof knives work very well in it. This type of knife block would allow you to get any knives that you want and have them in a nice block.

Amazon.com: Kapoosh Knife Holder, Stainless Steel: Gateway

Also as someone else said, if I end up getting the 80 dollar set, I dont consider that the end all. If I end up using just the chef's knife and it becomes dull... Great Ill buy a good quality one of those and replace it in the block, and then the other ones can just sit there and look pretty.

When an $.89 cent Bic razor gets dull you toss it, but when a good knife gets dull you certainly don't replace it!:shock: That's like buying a new car because yours ran out of gas!:LOL: Any decent chef's knife can be sharpened, and if you don't want to mess with stones take BigJim's advice and drop $10-$20 on an Edgemaker Pro or two. They're much better for your knives than the typical pull-thru or "V" sharpening, and so simple to use you'll never have an excuse to use a dull knife.

Ok, you guys got through to me! I've decided to do it the way you guys recommended. Yesterday I bought a cheap but really nice looking 21 piece knife set for 30 dollars from walmart. Now I want to purchase a nice Chef's knife for around 50 dollars. Prefferably black handle and three rivets, to match the rest of the set.

Ok, you guys got through to me! I've decided to do it the way you guys recommended. Yesterday I bought a cheap but really nice looking 21 piece knife set for 30 dollars from walmart. Now I want to purchase a nice Chef's knife for around 50 dollars. Prefferably black handle and three rivets, to match the rest of the set.

OK, no, we didn't get through to you. You wanted a pretty set of knives that matches your decor and we said that's not the way to go.

OK. You bought a cheap and pretty set and now want a "good" knife that looks the same.

Knives are tools, not fashion accessories. Many of the members here have knives that don't match each other, let alone the kitchen decor.

All that being said, I hope you get enjoy your purchase and that it serves you well.

At home we use Henckles which have lasted well and always kept a keen edge on sharpening. But ours, though not the OP's choice, have rounded handles which prevent the knives from standing blade facing up. This is a useful safety feature.

As Mum said, choose a knife that feels well good balanced in your hand. Choose one that appeals to you best in looks. Generally, ice hardened steel that has a percentage of carbon in it will make a razor sharp edge. But if cost is a major issue, then the wide Sabatier range could be for the best.

Woah Andy, think your getting a little serious there! Its not a fashion accessory.. But I doubt I am the only one here that puts looks into account when buying kitchen items... Most would not get a bright pink refrigerator just because its the best, unless they are very big enthusiasts, which I stated from the beginning I am not. And that actually was a bunch of peoples suggestions, if I wanted a block set, to go with something cheap and then a nice chef's knife.

I didnt say it has to look the same, but rather it would be prefferable if it resembled them. If it doesnt, not a big deal. I just asked for a couple good ones in my range.. since this is not my field but yours. If you asked me for cars in your $$ range, I can give you a list because I am a car enthusiast.

I really do hope you are happy with your purchase. Bottom line is that you should be comfortable using the knives you bought.

My comments were in reference to your statement that you took members' advice and that we got through to you when just the opposite is true.

The theme of members' remarks throughout was to not buy a set and to not buy cheap knives. That you really only needed a few good ones.

Then you buy a set of 21 knives for $30 and say we got through to you! HUH?

No one was suggesting you should buy a "bright pink refrigerator" to get quality over quantity. Most knives are attractive and designed to appeal to the eye.

You say you're a car enthusiast. What criteria do you apply to the selection and purchase of a car? I'd guess that, in general terms, many of the same criteria would apply to the purchase of kitchen equipment.

Regardless, good luck with your new knives.

Also are there palces I can go to see and feel all these name brand knives. I know I saw them at bed bath and beyond , but they are either just in boxes or all screwed into the block. The problem is that I am 6' and my GF is 5'2"(with our hands proportionate to our heights) So I could easily go with a 10" while for her it might be too big... so we have to go and see what fits both of us the best.

Also are there palces I can go to see and feel all these name brand knives. I know I saw them at bed bath and beyond , but they are either just in boxes or all screwed into the block. The problem is that I am 6' and my GF is 5'2"(with our hands proportionate to our heights) So I could easily go with a 10" while for her it might be too big... so we have to go and see what fits both of us the best.

That is a problem. I'm 6' 2" and am most comfortable with an 8" chef's knife. If BB&B won't let you handle the knives, you need to go elsewhere. The BB&B we have here will open up the display case and let you handle a knife.

Maybe a 10" for you and a 6"-7" santouku for your GF would be a good idea. The santouku is lighter and has a different balance and will do pretty much the same work as a chef's.

Not to be argumentative, you did buy a fashion accessory. Think about it. You just paid $1,30 each for knives. Now you want a good chef's knife with your remaining budget based on 3 rivets and a black handle.
Forschner, Dexter, Henkel, Wusthof, all make chef's knives in the $50 dollar range. Of those, Forschner generally gets the best reviews, followed by Dexter. Both these can be found in professional settings. Get an in drawer block, or make one, a paring knife from one of these brands, and an edgemaker pro sharpener. Keep the user knives in a drawer out of site.

I guess when you say fasion accessory I see handbags not anything that you buy to look stylish/good. No arguments there, it is what it is.

Thanks for that list of good companies, thats exactly what I was looking for. Is Zwilling J.A. Henckels TWIN® Signature Chef's Knife, 8" - Chefs Knives Cutlery - Kitchen - Macy's a good knife? Seems like its on sale at macy's so maybe I shoudl stop by there and look at it and try it out. This is the German steel henckels and from my understanding the twin series is legit?

Is Zwilling J.A. Henckels TWIN® Signature Chef's Knife, 8" - Chefs Knives Cutlery - Kitchen - Macy's a good knife? Seems like its on sale at macy's so maybe I shoudl stop by there and look at it and try it out. This is the German steel henckels and from my understanding the twin series is legit?

If the knife is genuine Henckels, then any Henckels 8" the same is good. Try holding it. Does it feel comfy? Is the 8 inch knife too big or, would a smaller 6 inch be better for you? The one in your link looks very nice, but only buy from reputable stores because there are fakes around.

...Zwilling J.A. Henckels TWIN® Signature Chef's Knife, 8" - Chefs Knives Cutlery - Kitchen - Macy's a good knife? Seems like its on sale at macy's so maybe I shoudl stop by there and look at it and try it out. This is the German steel henckels and from my understanding the twin series is legit?

Just a tip. When looking at Henkels, the logo is the key to quality. When you see two stick figures in the logo, that's their premium line of knives. When you see a single stick figure, it's their bargain line of knives.

The Twin Signature is stamped, not forged like their better, more expensive knives. While that doesn't make it a bad knife, it makes me question whether it would be any better than a Forschner. Of course, it has riveted handles that will match your other knives better. Given the approach you've adopted towards your tools I suppose it will probably serve you well enough.

However, in the long run you'd be better off just using the junkie block set for awhile and saving your pennies towards one decent chef's knife. It will probably cost around $65-$100, there's no getting around that. There just aren't a lot of super high quality knives that are much cheaper. But it's your money and your priorities. Good luck with your search.

Ok guys,
So yesterday we went around stores to try whats most comfortable for us.

We really fell in love with how the 8" wusthof's felt in both our hands. Is there specific lines we should stay away from, or any recommendations on which one of their lines we should get? I have expanded the price range to 80 if its for a quality wusthof. A couple I have came across while shopping around are the "classics", "classic hollow edge" ,"gourmet" ,"classic ikon". Can someone explain the differences and give suggestions? Seems like every brand, good or not has good lines and trash ones.

Last edited:
Based on your preferences, I'd go with the Classic. It's a very good knife. I have the Henckels equivalent in the Professional S.

Back
Top Bottom