What set is best for me?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ok, so I'm guessing gourmet is their garbage line, because I see its alot cheaper? Also their "cooks" knives are the same thing as their "chef's" knives correct?

Ok I'm ready to pull the trigger and have one last qusetion about them, and this might sound like a dumb question. Just like all other higher end items, Are there fake ones out there? The reason im asking is most are in the 90-120 range, and I found one on ebay for 70, brand new in box. Seems like a reputable seller with over 5k feedback, but still wary when I finds deals that stick out so much. Anything in particular to look at? Or is this not a worry for knives.

I think what he is talking about is counterfeit knives Andy. and yes there are counterfeit Wustof and Henckels out there although I do not remember specifically what to look for. Google counterfeit wustof though and I am sure you will find what you need.

I think what he is talking about is counterfeit knives Andy. and yes there are counterfeit Wustof and Henckels out there although I do not remember specifically what to look for. Google counterfeit wustof though and I am sure you will find what you need.

I got that, GB. Fake is easier to type than coun......t.

Well, if you did not find any "difference between expensive knives and 10 dollar ones", why would you need our advize to begin with. Buy what ever you can afford or looks good on your counter and be done with that.

Well, if you did not find any "difference between expensive knives and 10 dollar ones", why would you need our advize to begin with. Buy what ever you can afford or looks good on your counter and be done with that.
While I cannot tell the difference, that doesnt mean there isnt one, and I acknowledge that there is and thats exactly why Im here :rolleyes:

So I bought the 8 inch wusthof classic :ROFLMAO: I'm excited for it to come in.

Now my next questions have to do with maintanance. Can I use the steel that came with the cheap set for routine maintanance(read that its good to use the steel to get rid of burs) or do I need a better one. Also I am planning on getting the edge maker pro like recommended by you guys when this starts to dull. For someone that uses it 5 times a week or so, how often is sharpening needed. I know that really depends on the amount of cutting and what your cutting, but I just want a ballpark answer to know whether its weekly or once a year.

Thanks everyone for their help, you guy's have been very patient and great!

If you always use an end grain wood cutting board, or carefully use a decent plastic one, then you won't dull it very fast at home. If you were to use the yellow Edgemaker Pro (the honer) maybe once or twice a month you'd never need to do much else. While you can use the steel that it comes with you'd be way better off with the Edgemaker Pro. And it's only $10 with free shipping. Sure, it would be a good idea to get the complete set but if you don't let your knife get super dull you'll never need much more than the yellow honer.

I think you'll really like the Wusthof. It's a good quality knife. And their warranty service is top notch. If you ever have a problem they'll fix or replace the knife, pretty much forever. Plus, they've been around for a couple hundred years so I'd consider them a safe bet.

If you always use an end grain wood cutting board, or carefully use a decent plastic one, then you won't dull it very fast at home. If you were to use the yellow Edgemaker Pro (the honer) maybe once or twice a month you'd never need to do much else. While you can use the steel that it comes with you'd be way better off with the Edgemaker Pro. And it's only $10 with free shipping. Sure, it would be a good idea to get the complete set but if you don't let your knife get super dull you'll never need much more than the yellow honer.

I think you'll really like the Wusthof. It's a good quality knife. And their warranty service is top notch. If you ever have a problem they'll fix or replace the knife, pretty much forever. Plus, they've been around for a couple hundred years so I'd consider them a safe bet.
Isnt the warranty against "defects". So as long as I recieve the knife and its in tact since its not exactly an electronics item, thats it? Or do they cover accidental breakage from regular use and such things like that.

Thanks for the reply though, Thats probably exactly what I will do :chef:

i cant comment on their specific warranty, but a knife defect might not be readily apparent from just a visual inspection.....a poor temper could lead to breakage down the line, and you would never know about it until the tip snaps off.....if you ever do have a problem, definitely give them a call....they might ask to see the knife (it will most likely be obvious if the knife was abused), but i bet they would just fix or replace it with no real hassle....knives dont break often, so dont lose much sleep over this

Their warranty is for manufacturer's defects. Pretty much all warranties are. As noodle said, if it's not from abuse or accident, they will honor the warranty.

For something like a knife, I never gave a thought to a warranty. I wouldn't make warranty a significant factor in knife selection. There are no moving parts and it's not likely to have a manufacturing defect. That's a different approach from how I feel about warranties on electrical appliances, etc.

In practical terms I've neve seen Wustof fail to honor a warranty claim, no matter the reason. Perhaps in cases of obvious abuse they would refuse, but I've seen them replace knives that have been broken opening cans! They seem to err on the side of generousity.

So I just wanted to update you guys... I love the choice Ive made. The cheap block set is useful with so many knives because for something quick O can quickly use one of them or use the scissors that are right there and handy in the block. Then for most of the things I use the wustoff knife and it is absolutely great. Both me and my GF love it and thinks its comfortable. My GF definitely noticed the difference in sharpness when she was using it to cut potatoes.

The only complaint is how long the initial sharpness lasted. When the knife came it was so sharp that if i put it up against my fingertip and moved it just a cm, it would already start cutting into my skin. Now, it is still sharp by all means(way sharper than the cheap one that came with the woodblock set) but not as sharp to do that. Is this normal? I tried using the steel that came with the block on it, but from my understanding that is just to even out any inconsistencies in the edge and not to actually make it razor sharp anyways. Might be time to buy that sharpener kit you guys recommended.

So in conclusion, for anyone reading this thread and in the same scenario. I definitely recommend buying a cheap block set and one good chef's knife.

Yeah, it's normal. Those knives are made of relatively soft steel that won't hold a super keen edge for very long. But they should retain a useful level of sharpness for a good while if you treat them properly.

a week or so ago, the knife got to the point of really dull. Obviously still sharper then piece of crap knives, but when cutting harder things like potatoes my GF was having a hard time. So I put it against the steel and it made it ALOT better for now.
Today I ordered the edgemaker pro set of 4. So where should I start off on the set with? From my understanding I definitely will not need to use the blue semi-course. How do I know whether to start off from the medium,fine or ultra fine grit?

Yeah, there are some good tutorial vids on the site. You might be able to use just the yellow, but if it's too far gone for that then drop down to the next grit. If that doesn't work (when performed with the correct technique) then drop down one more. As a general rule of thumb, always use the finest set that will still do the job- you will waste less metal and extend the life of your blade that way.

Once your knife is acceptably sharp you should rarely, if ever, need to go coarser than the finest set of rods. Just give it a few light passes occasionally just as you would with a steel.

Back
Top Bottom