"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 01-15-2009, 08:18 AM   #11
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to Adillo303
What sharp means to me is that when I take a knife out to cut something, I run it on the steel (I have a very old smooth steel about 16" long that was in the house when I bought it. I don't use a ribbed steel) and when I cut something I want if to happen with lieelt effort. I do not want to feel like I am forcing the cut.

Just one time, I would like to experience one of those Scary, tosty or whatever else the big guys call them knives. I just do nto think that degree of sharpness is practical for my kitchen. Hey, dosen't everyone want to drive a Prosche Turbo Carrera one time?

I have wanted to take my own knives along many times. I go to someone's house for a nice holliday dinner and offer to help. Someone tells me to cut the meat, I reach in the drawer and pull out, what was the experssion on another thread? Something sharp as a bananna. You are left with no choice, but, t hack away and end up with something that yo are not proud of. At home I can make 1/16" cuts off a piece of meat if I choose to, comfortably. A nice job of cutting the meat is, as fas as I am concerned, part of the presentation.

I hope that I am not hijacking, if I am, tell me to shut up. so often, I hear mention o fthe angles that knives are sharpened at. Buzzard767 has given the most understandable information that I have read to date. Is ther some place to look, or could someone post here, just what angles are appropriate for what uses. If 2 angles are used, what ones.

TIA - AC

Old 01-15-2009, 10:49 AM   #12
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E View Post

One of my brothers used a table knife to slice a baguette during the Christmas holidays. Do I need to tell you how the bread looked?
That reminds me of something I forgot to mention Katie. Thanks. A very sharp Gyuto or Western Chef's knife in the 240 to 270mm range will produce a knife that will cut bread and slice meat at a minimum of 95% of the ability of dedicated bread knives and meat slicers. I have a Mac SB-150 bread knife which slices bread with the best of them yet my Gyutos almost do the same quality job. I am convinced that all that is needed in the kitchen is a peeler, a parer, a boneing knife, and a Chef's knife. It really helps if the Chef's knife is very thin. These come from Takeda, Moritaka, Suisin, Tadatsuna, and a few others. They don't come cheap, but because you can save a little by not having to buy more knives plus the fact that the edge retention is several times that of inexpensive knives makes them worthwhile to me.

Buzz

Old 01-15-2009, 10:50 AM   #13
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adillo303 View Post
I hope that I am not hijacking, if I am, tell me to shut up. so often, I hear mention o fthe angles that knives are sharpened at. Buzzard767 has given the most understandable information that I have read to date. Is ther some place to look, or could someone post here, just what angles are appropriate for what uses. If 2 angles are used, what ones.

TIA - AC
It depends. What knives do you have and what do you use them for?

Buzz
Old 01-15-2009, 11:04 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpaulg View Post
It's like that line from the Meatloaf song Paradise by the Dashboard light:
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife"

Whoever wrote that line was a knife sharpener.
That would be Jim Steinman. lol

Maybe he would have recieved more recognition as a knife sharpener, rather than a composer.

He also wrote for Bonnie Tyler.

Jim Steinman - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 01-15-2009, 11:32 AM   #15
Master Chef

Yea, he penned some way wicked songs, and I love how Meatloaf belts em out!
Old 01-15-2009, 11:37 AM   #16
Executive Chef

I actually have is CD home. Not too bad, but I don't take it out in public. lol
Old 01-16-2009, 05:48 AM   #17
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post
That reminds me of something I forgot to mention Katie. Thanks. A very sharp Gyuto or Western Chef's knife in the 240 to 270mm range will produce a knife that will cut bread and slice meat at a minimum of 95% of the ability of dedicated bread knives and meat slicers. I have a Mac SB-150 bread knife which slices bread with the best of them yet my Gyutos almost do the same quality job. I am convinced that all that is needed in the kitchen is a peeler, a parer, a boneing knife, and a Chef's knife.
I've had that discussion with Chico; while I agree with you for home cooking I think a serrated is a near-essential for bread in a professional setting. Sure a sharp gyuto will cut a loaf of bread perfectly...but will it cut 300 loaves of crusty batard in a few hours?
Old 01-16-2009, 06:39 AM   #18
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Babcock View Post
I've had that discussion with Chico; while I agree with you for home cooking I think a serrated is a near-essential for bread in a professional setting. Sure a sharp gyuto will cut a loaf of bread perfectly...but will it cut 300 loaves of crusty batard in a few hours?
Never tried it, Rob, and never will. You?

Buzz
Old 01-16-2009, 05:44 PM   #19
Head Chef

I dunno. I don't do banquet work anymore, at least not right now. Until about two years ago I did a lot of it but I went back to school (I'm in my 3rd semester, studying for my degree in Computer Information Systems). Until I graduate I'll still work as a cook, but probably won't have much occasion to cut that much batard. Still, the company I used to Chef for is opening a new restaurant near me, and I think I'll probably be working there once they open. They serve a lot of batard even though they won't do catering.

A crusty bagette is quite a challenge for a non-serrated knife. Undoubtedly Chico's edges would make short work of them but I wonder if that 300th loaf would cut as easy as the first.
Old 01-16-2009, 05:49 PM   #20
Head Chef

To clarify and elaborate on what I discussed with Chico, my last Chef gig was as Sous Chef of a hotel & restaurant where we had a banquet facility with a capacity of about 2,000. On a busy weekend we might do 1,000 meals in a day. Sometimes we used petit pains (small bagettes that are dinner roll sized) but just as often we used very crusty batard loaves that we sliced and placed in baskets. When we did the latter it wouldn't be unusual to go thru hundreds of loaves. Fresh French bread has a pretty hard crust and many knives just skate off of them. Serrated knives are universally used in this setting.

That said, I would like to give it a try. Chico was always pretty confident that a sharp edge would do the job, no serrations required.