What size paring knife do you use?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tuan

Assistant Cook
hi! i see alot of discussion regarding sizes of cook or chef's knives but not really any discussion on paring knife size. just wondering what sizes ya'll use. i don't personally have one but found if i were to get one i'd probably get a 3". i tried a few 3.5" and 4" paring knives and felt they were too big for me to do any good.

A Tourne knife is different from a paring knife though. It is more geared towards the aforementioned type of cut. Used more for garnish and detailed work because of the turned tip.

A paring knife is a more "general" purpose. Sure a tourne can do much of the same, the blade is always smaller, and bent, but then again, I might just be splitting hairs here.......carry on....

Paring knives come in a variety of lengths? I had no idea!

To be honest, I haven't paid much attention to the length of my paring knives. Looking now, it appears I prefer four inch (or thereabout) models. I've got a Vic/For four inch and two Opinel ("au carbone" ooh la la) paring knives that are three and a quarter.

A paring knife is a more "general" purpose. Sure a tourne can do much of the same, the blade is always smaller, and bent, but then again, I might just be splitting hairs here.......carry on....

You do that too?

My wife seems partial to her 3" Wusthof forged round belly parer (don't see that model around anymore). I cut a 1/4" choil into it to facilitate sharpening and so she can cut with the heel of the blade.

I have 2 of each size and can use them interchangably but there are some things I like the longer blade for (slicing cheeses, cubing potatoes) and some I like the shorter blade (peeling apples, potatoes).

Some of you might get more use out of a utility knife rather than having 2 paring knives. A utility knife pretty much makes the bridge between a chef's knife and a paring knife.

MDW and I both prefer the Henkles Friodur 31620-100 4". We used the one so often that we have two. I have them razor sharp, sheathed and waiting in the knife drawer. They get used every day. We'll use an 8" chef knife maybe two three times a week but the bulk of the prep work is with these two knives. Have an assortment of other knives but none get the workout of these paring knives.

I was always a lover of a chef's knife (9") for almost everything until I got converted by my partner to her favourite knife - a short 3" parer but the sharpest blade I've known and never seems to need sharpening!

I think the knife can suit you as much as the knife can suit the job.

I hardly use a regular paring knife. I use the tourne for stuff that I can't use a regular peeler on (eg cooked baked potatoes) and don't need a regular paring knife often. A utility knife is often handy, too.

LOL @ the last three postings, to me is just the opposite.
Like Carlos75, I started to use the paring knife (3") instead of the chef together with the mandoline.
Now, I check my chef knife every now and then to make sure is not rusted LOL

LOL @ the last three postings, to me is just the opposite.
Like Carlos75, I started to use the paring knife (3") instead of the chef together with the mandoline.
Now, I check my chef knife every now and then to make sure is not rusted LOL

I'm a professional chef- the paring knife almost never leaves my roll. For stuff like chopping parlsey, mincing herbs & dicing onions I can't imagine not having a French knife.

Perhaps recreational cooks have different requirements.

Back
Top Bottom