"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 02-05-2012, 05:42 PM   #21
Executive Chef

I like to use my 8" santoku, because the blade has more curve than a chefs knife. I hold the handle in my right fingers and tip in my left fingers, then rock it with a slight up and down motion. This works fine on nuts but really works fantastically well mincing garlic, ginger, onions, etc.

Old 02-05-2012, 10:29 PM   #22
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg
I like to use my 8" santoku, because the blade has more curve than a chefs knife. I hold the handle in my right fingers and tip in my left fingers, then rock it with a slight up and down motion. This works fine on nuts but really works fantastically well mincing garlic, ginger, onions, etc.
What brand is your Santoku?

Old 02-05-2012, 10:49 PM   #23
Executive Chef

Oh, sorry, should have included that: J.A. Henckels International. I got mine at Bed Bath & Beyond, as part of a set. I bought the set plus added several additional pieces for total cost of about $300, one of the best cooking tool expenditures of my life.
Old 02-05-2012, 10:53 PM   #24
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg
Oh, sorry, should have included that: J.A. Henckels International. I got mine at Bed Bath & Beyond, as part of a set. I bought the set plus added several additional pieces for total cost of about $300, one of the best cooking tool expenditures of my life.
Wow, that sounds very cost effective, I paid over $100 just for my Wusthof 8" chef's knife, which I am definitely going to return.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:11 PM   #25
Executive Chef

I've been trying to access the BB&B site but my Internet connection is a horrible nightmare and I can't check them to find my set. My Henckels santoku is their 7" model 31170-180. However their prices are IMO prohibitive unless you buy the entire set, or are satisfied with just one knife, not any way to go in my opinion.

And you should be aware of BB&B 20% off coupons. Not only did I get 20% off, but I wanted to buy a less expensive set that they didn't have in stock so the manager offered to give me a more expensive set ($300 IIRC) at the same price as the set I had originally wanted, a deal I could not refuse.

Anyway go buy whatever you like at BB&B and try it out for a couple weeks, return it if you don't like it. And make sure you get the coupons. Ask about that in the store.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:20 PM   #26
Sous Chef

Hi Greg, I'm so frustrated with the BBB coupon issue. I have signed up for them many times on their website and called customer service, but I have never received a coupon. I think they issue them according to zip code, and some zip codes never get them. Ugh!
Old 02-05-2012, 11:28 PM   #27
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchengoddess8 View Post
Hi Greg, I'm so frustrated with the BBB coupon issue. I have signed up for them many times on their website and called customer service, but I have never received a coupon. I think they issue them according to zip code, and some zip codes never get them. Ugh!
This link will take you to a site where you can get the coupon e-mailed to you and just print it out.

Best Deal: 20% off Bed Bath Beyond Coupons, Printable Bed Bath Beyond Coupon
Old 02-05-2012, 11:37 PM   #28
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60

This link will take you to a site where you can get the coupon e-mailed to you and just print it out.

Best Deal: 20% off Bed Bath Beyond Coupons, Printable Bed Bath Beyond Coupon
Thanks! I'll try it and see if it works.
Old 02-06-2012, 02:39 AM   #29
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
sometimes a knife isn't needed:
Put the nuts on a cutting board, put another cutting board on top, and tamp with a heavy #10 can.

What application are the nuts being used for?

Also, as mentioned, mezzalunas are designed for just such a thing, it just depends on the volume of nuts to be chopped/crushed. . .
Old 02-06-2012, 02:46 AM   #30
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
More than one way to skin a cat.