"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-05-2012, 05:42 PM   #21
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: here
Posts: 3,612
I like to use my 8" santoku, because the blade has more curve than a chefs knife. I hold the handle in my right fingers and tip in my left fingers, then rock it with a slight up and down motion. This works fine on nuts but really works fantastically well mincing garlic, ginger, onions, etc.
__________________

__________________
Greg Who Cooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 10:29 PM   #22
Sous Chef
 
kitchengoddess8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg
I like to use my 8" santoku, because the blade has more curve than a chefs knife. I hold the handle in my right fingers and tip in my left fingers, then rock it with a slight up and down motion. This works fine on nuts but really works fantastically well mincing garlic, ginger, onions, etc.
What brand is your Santoku?
__________________

__________________
kitchengoddess8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 10:49 PM   #23
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: here
Posts: 3,612
Oh, sorry, should have included that: J.A. Henckels International. I got mine at Bed Bath & Beyond, as part of a set. I bought the set plus added several additional pieces for total cost of about $300, one of the best cooking tool expenditures of my life.
__________________
Greg Who Cooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 10:53 PM   #24
Sous Chef
 
kitchengoddess8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg
Oh, sorry, should have included that: J.A. Henckels International. I got mine at Bed Bath & Beyond, as part of a set. I bought the set plus added several additional pieces for total cost of about $300, one of the best cooking tool expenditures of my life.
Wow, that sounds very cost effective, I paid over $100 just for my Wusthof 8" chef's knife, which I am definitely going to return.
__________________
kitchengoddess8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 11:11 PM   #25
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: here
Posts: 3,612
I've been trying to access the BB&B site but my Internet connection is a horrible nightmare and I can't check them to find my set. My Henckels santoku is their 7" model 31170-180. However their prices are IMO prohibitive unless you buy the entire set, or are satisfied with just one knife, not any way to go in my opinion.

And you should be aware of BB&B 20% off coupons. Not only did I get 20% off, but I wanted to buy a less expensive set that they didn't have in stock so the manager offered to give me a more expensive set ($300 IIRC) at the same price as the set I had originally wanted, a deal I could not refuse.

Anyway go buy whatever you like at BB&B and try it out for a couple weeks, return it if you don't like it. And make sure you get the coupons. Ask about that in the store.
__________________
Greg Who Cooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 11:20 PM   #26
Sous Chef
 
kitchengoddess8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 873
Hi Greg, I'm so frustrated with the BBB coupon issue. I have signed up for them many times on their website and called customer service, but I have never received a coupon. I think they issue them according to zip code, and some zip codes never get them. Ugh!
__________________
kitchengoddess8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 11:28 PM   #27
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchengoddess8 View Post
Hi Greg, I'm so frustrated with the BBB coupon issue. I have signed up for them many times on their website and called customer service, but I have never received a coupon. I think they issue them according to zip code, and some zip codes never get them. Ugh!
This link will take you to a site where you can get the coupon e-mailed to you and just print it out.

Best Deal: 20% off Bed Bath Beyond Coupons, Printable Bed Bath Beyond Coupon
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 11:37 PM   #28
Sous Chef
 
kitchengoddess8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60

This link will take you to a site where you can get the coupon e-mailed to you and just print it out.

Best Deal: 20% off Bed Bath Beyond Coupons, Printable Bed Bath Beyond Coupon
Thanks! I'll try it and see if it works.
__________________
kitchengoddess8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 02:39 AM   #29
The Dude Abides
 
TATTRAT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bermuda Native in D.C./NoVA
Posts: 5,324
Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
sometimes a knife isn't needed:
Put the nuts on a cutting board, put another cutting board on top, and tamp with a heavy #10 can.

What application are the nuts being used for?

Also, as mentioned, mezzalunas are designed for just such a thing, it just depends on the volume of nuts to be chopped/crushed. . .
__________________
flickr
TATTRAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 02:46 AM   #30
The Dude Abides
 
TATTRAT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bermuda Native in D.C./NoVA
Posts: 5,324
Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
More than one way to skin a cat.
__________________

__________________
flickr
TATTRAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.