"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 02-06-2012, 09:11 PM   #41
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
Food processor o
Yup. Do it on pulse.

Old 02-07-2012, 06:16 AM   #42
Executive Chef

Although tough to come by, a well made table mounted rotary drum grater with a finely perforated conical drum can be used produce the copious quantities of uniformly and finely grated hazel and almond nuts that are required for certain baked goods.

Old 02-07-2012, 07:41 AM   #43
Senior Cook

I like Historic Foodie's first answer....covers it all.

these days, I use a coffee grinder for most of my small nuts.....but like the idea of whapping nuts in a ziploc bag with a rolling pin. Cathartic!
Old 02-07-2012, 08:56 AM   #44
Executive Chef

Crushing nuts often does not give the same results as chopping or grating.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:54 AM   #45
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbill View Post
Although tough to come by, a well made table mounted rotary drum grater with a finely perforated conical drum can be used produce the copious quantities of uniformly and finely grated hazel and almond nuts that are required for certain baked goods.
I have an old one made of metal, with a wooden pusher. Really handy when you don't want almond or hazelnuts getting oily and you want them fine. I also use it for grating nutmeg.

I had a handheld, modern, plastic version. It was meant for stuff like Parmesan. It broke.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:11 AM   #46
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I have an old one made of metal, with a wooden pusher. Really handy when you don't want almond or hazelnuts getting oily and you want them fine. I also use it for grating nutmeg.

I had a handheld, modern, plastic version. It was meant for stuff like Parmesan. It broke.
Take good care of that old one. They've become as rare as hen's teeth. I've spent a few hundred $ trying to replace my wife's old one and have been unable to acquire one that works as well as the tired one she bought back in the 70's. Two years ago we had a family member buy us one that was made in Sweden; it works almost as good but it's tiny.
This morning we tried using the nut grinding attachment that came with our old Jupiter #7 but the going was slow and the result was too oily.
We had a Kuchenprofi that worked pretty well but the plasic handle snapped off. I spent $90 to get one (a Messerschmidt) that attaches to our Montgomery Ward stand mixer but the finest cone is to coarse. Pleasant Hill Grain wants $60 + shipping for an additional set of 3 cutting cones that includes a finer cone; but enough is enough (too much).
Old 02-07-2012, 11:39 AM   #47
Chef Extraordinaire

I have an old Sunbeam Osker mini food processor. It holds about one cup. A couple of pulses and I have perfect nuts. I use it to cut up one onion or as little as a quarter onion. I also have a 12 cup Robot Coupe processor. That is my kitchen work horse. But I use the little one more.

I have pulverized nuts unitl they are a powder to replace some of the flour in a cake. Gives a cake great flavor and it is repeated in the frosting. It is just a matter of control with the pulsing. You don't want the nuts to get warm and start releasing their oil. The pulses have to be very short. I love it when machinery does my work for me.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:40 PM   #48
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbill View Post
Take good care of that old one. They've become as rare as hen's teeth. I've spent a few hundred $ trying to replace my wife's old one and have been unable to acquire one that works as well as the tired one she bought back in the 70's. Two years ago we had a family member buy us one that was made in Sweden; it works almost as good but it's tiny.
This morning we tried using the nut grinding attachment that came with our old Jupiter #7 but the going was slow and the result was too oily.
We had a Kuchenprofi that worked pretty well but the plasic handle snapped off. I spent $90 to get one (a Messerschmidt) that attaches to our Montgomery Ward stand mixer but the finest cone is to coarse. Pleasant Hill Grain wants $60 + shipping for an additional set of 3 cutting cones that includes a finer cone; but enough is enough (too much).
I had no idea they were so hard to come by in decent quality nowadays. The one I have was a pretty cheap one when I bought it new, back in the '70s. I will definitely be taking care of it. Thanks for the heads up.