"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 09-02-2011, 01:31 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Where's the best/cheapest place to get ceramic knives

Where's the best/cheapest place to get ceramic knives? We saw them at the local fair and they're really pricey. We don't need the entire set. I know Ebay sells some.

Old 09-02-2011, 07:38 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

I'd recommend getting an idea of what's available for styles and prices then shop for the best price on the model and brand you want.

Ceramic knives are typically very sharp and stay sharp for a long time. On the other side of the coin, they are brittle and can break or chip more easily than metal knives.

Kyocera has been the top brand for some time. https://secure.kyoceraadvancedcerami...ic-series.aspx

Old 09-02-2011, 09:50 AM   #3
Master Chef

Another good place to look for ceramic knives is here http://www.boker.de/us/catalog.html.

They have a good selection of ceramic kitchen knives, as well as a host of other kinds of knives as well.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 11:58 AM   #4
Senior Cook

Check to see if you have a local restaurant supply store. They may carry ceramic knives, and will be cheaper than retail stores.
Old 09-02-2011, 01:02 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Kyocera ceramic knives are very expensive because they are made in Japan, where labor is very expensive and the Japanese really believe anything they make is worth more than if anyone else made it.

Go to Target.com and check out the ceramic 6-inch Chef's Knife they sell. I bought mine about 5 years ago just for cutting up vegetables and am quite pleased with it.

Last year I bought my father a Black Diamond two knife set because he has to learn to cook for himself now. He has had no complaints. He's very happy with them.
Old 09-02-2011, 02:12 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

Thanks. Target? Hmm. I havent seen any ceramic knives at my location. I'll have to ask for it. Maybe they need to order it.

Here's another question. Are ceramic knives actually worth the extra cost?
Old 09-02-2011, 02:41 PM   #7
Senior Cook

I think a ceramic paring knife for veggies would be ok. I'm not sold on a ceramic chef's knife at all.
Old 09-02-2011, 02:46 PM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbee View Post
...Here's another question. Are ceramic knives actually worth the extra cost?

I bought a Kyocera chef's knife a few years ago because I liked the idea of a super sharp knife that requires little maintenance. After a couple of weeks' use, I packed it away because it wouldn't slice a tomato!! My Henckels were sharper.

This is just my opinion, but I don't think they're worth it. I know others disagree.
Old 09-02-2011, 03:01 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbee View Post
Thanks. Target? Hmm. I havent seen any ceramic knives at my location. I'll have to ask for it. Maybe they need to order it.

Here's another question. Are ceramic knives actually worth the extra cost?
They don't sell them in the stores, just on line, but you might be able to order on line and pick up at the store.

I think mine was reasonably priced, and cutting up vegetalbes, especially lettuce, and herbs with a ceramic knife prevents them from turning black, so it saves you grocery money in the long run.
Old 09-02-2011, 06:08 PM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
They don't sell them in the stores, just on line, but you might be able to order on line and pick up at the store.

I think mine was reasonably priced, and cutting up vegetalbes, especially lettuce, and herbs with a ceramic knife prevents them from turning black, so it saves you grocery money in the long run.
SLB, I've never had a problem with vegetables turning black (or brown) when cut with a metal knife blade. Are/were you using carbon steel? My knives are a stainless steel.

Tags
knives