Where's the best/cheapest place to get ceramic knives

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Newbee

Assistant Cook
Where's the best/cheapest place to get ceramic knives? We saw them at the local fair and they're really pricey. We don't need the entire set. I know Ebay sells some.

I'd recommend getting an idea of what's available for styles and prices then shop for the best price on the model and brand you want.

Ceramic knives are typically very sharp and stay sharp for a long time. On the other side of the coin, they are brittle and can break or chip more easily than metal knives.

Kyocera has been the top brand for some time. https://secure.kyoceraadvancedceramics.com/products/cutlery/classic-series.aspx

Check to see if you have a local restaurant supply store. They may carry ceramic knives, and will be cheaper than retail stores.

Kyocera ceramic knives are very expensive because they are made in Japan, where labor is very expensive and the Japanese really believe anything they make is worth more than if anyone else made it.

Go to Target.com and check out the ceramic 6-inch Chef's Knife they sell. I bought mine about 5 years ago just for cutting up vegetables and am quite pleased with it.

Last year I bought my father a Black Diamond two knife set because he has to learn to cook for himself now. He has had no complaints. He's very happy with them.

Last edited:
Thanks. Target? Hmm. I havent seen any ceramic knives at my location. I'll have to ask for it. Maybe they need to order it.

Here's another question. Are ceramic knives actually worth the extra cost?

I think a ceramic paring knife for veggies would be ok. I'm not sold on a ceramic chef's knife at all.

...Here's another question. Are ceramic knives actually worth the extra cost?

I bought a Kyocera chef's knife a few years ago because I liked the idea of a super sharp knife that requires little maintenance. After a couple of weeks' use, I packed it away because it wouldn't slice a tomato!! My Henckels were sharper.

This is just my opinion, but I don't think they're worth it. I know others disagree.

Thanks. Target? Hmm. I havent seen any ceramic knives at my location. I'll have to ask for it. Maybe they need to order it.

Here's another question. Are ceramic knives actually worth the extra cost?

They don't sell them in the stores, just on line, but you might be able to order on line and pick up at the store.

I think mine was reasonably priced, and cutting up vegetalbes, especially lettuce, and herbs with a ceramic knife prevents them from turning black, so it saves you grocery money in the long run.

Last edited:
They don't sell them in the stores, just on line, but you might be able to order on line and pick up at the store.

I think mine was reasonably priced, and cutting up vegetalbes, especially lettuce, and herbs with a ceramic knife prevents them from turning black, so it saves you grocery money in the long run.

SLB, I've never had a problem with vegetables turning black (or brown) when cut with a metal knife blade. Are/were you using carbon steel? My knives are a stainless steel.

I bought a Kyocera chef's knife a few years ago because I liked the idea of a super sharp knife that requires little maintenance. After a couple of weeks' use, I packed it away because it wouldn't slice a tomato!! My Henckels were sharper.

This is just my opinion, but I don't think they're worth it. I know others disagree.
I agree.

I love my set of three. Easy clean, no sharpening. Can't remember the brand, but I use them for almost everything. Keep in mind, they are not flexible at all. You need a metal boning knife, for example.

I'm not a big fan of ceramics but CKtG has pretty good prices on them, plus free shipping on orders of $60 or more. Their service can't be beat. Beyond that, CutleryAndMore is also a good vendor. I like CKtG because their selection is better and they can get some exotic stuff for you, too. But both are good. And if you're an Amazon Prime member you can often get some great deals from Amazon, too...although for knives I prefer to stick with a vendor that specializes in them.

Three o f my kids have ceramic chef's knives now. I found that except for the Boker, black ceramic knife, they weren't as sharp out of the box as are my steel knives. But, with the correct sharpener (which is price, but will sharpen anything in your kitchen), you can sharpen them yourself to a razor's edge.

And by those same three knives, owned by my crew, they are tougher than I thought they would be. The very edge of the sharpest one already has tiny nicks on its edge though, not so deep as to affect cutting quality, but enough that I can feel it if I run my thumbnail along the edge side.

I too will stick with my steel Chroma 10 inch. It's served me exceptionally well since the day I pulled it from the box in 2003. And I use it daily.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Back
Top Bottom