Which Bread Knife is the Best?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh I sharpen my bread knife, I have it professionally sharpen after Christmas every year.

I've been successfully using bread knife that came in the box of bread machine for the last 12-13 years now. It has no name, no markings of any kind. I'm sure it was some cheap knife the company that produced bread machine could find and yet it works just fine. If you really want something fancy, go to cooking store, see which Japanese knife fits your hand the best and buy it. It will less you a life time.

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

The one that feels most comfortable in your hand is a place to start.;)

And I can only add the one that works for you.

Hi, what I am looking for is a specific knife that people have used and are recommending. I presume this has been previously decided on the forum.

Thanks

I can give you a specific knife but no brand or type of edge.

To me this is the best bread knife ever.

IMG_0074.jpg

IMG_0075.jpg

It's ancient but it works like a charm and can slice bread paper thin if that's what you desire.

Been in the family for longer then I know but I'd be heartbroken if I ever had to live without it.

View attachment 25924

View attachment 25925

It's ancient but it works like a charm and can slice bread paper thin if that's what you desire.

Been in the family for longer then I know but I'd be heartbroken if I ever had to live without it.

You better get a tetanus shot before using that knife :D

Zagut; what about cleaning caring for beloved friend? That is the type of tiny teeth that cant be sharpened, if they ever got dull.

But yes, that is a rusty knife and doesnt looks safe to use.

You better get a tetanus shot before using that knife :D

:eek:

I'm not a photographer and I don't play one on TV. ;)

I can only say that my friend here has sliced bread for longer then I have been alive and to my knowledge no one has ever been sickened by any bread sliced by it. :D

Zagut; what about cleaning caring for beloved friend? That is the type of tiny teeth that cant be sharpened, if they ever got dull.

But yes, that is a rusty knife and doesnt looks safe to use.

So far CakePoet care and feeding of said knife has been washing with soap and water after use and making sure it's dry before putting away.

As I said I'm no photographer so the pic might not be the best. But I can assure you there is no rust on this knife. Any rust color is due to my lack of photography skills and the patina it's acquired.
There is some pitting on the blade and yes it's not shiny but I dare any one of you to be as old as this friend, sit in the kitchen 24/7/365 and still be shiny and new. :rolleyes:

As far as sharpening goes. That was kinda/sorta my point in posting my friend.

It's been in service longer then I've been alive (And I'll bet longer then any poster here at DC.) and hasn't needed to be sharpened. Yet it can still cut paper thin slices of bread.

I've never been able to find out what the edge is called, who made it, or if anyone still makes this edge. But if I can last as long as it can I'll be a happy person. :bounce:

Oil your knife, it does help too. It was called a serrated blade, sometimes called finely serrated.

View attachment 25924

View attachment 25925

That's more like a weird double cut saw blade. I can't believe that it actually cuts like a normal serrated bread knife - it has to work more like a saw cutting wood.

Unlike the video, my bread knife is only used for bread, never for tomatoes or other veggies. My other knives are kept sharp, so even cutting a ripe tomato paper thin is no problem.

Oil your knife, it does help too. It was called a serrated blade, sometimes called finely serrated.

CakePoet, I'm well versed on keeping rust away from steel/iron. ;)
Oil is a good thing and I believe that's a part of it's history that causes some to think it's nasty and will kill any who encounter it.

Please explain the difference between "Finely Serrated" and "Serrated" to a dumbass like me. ;)

That's more like a weird double cut saw blade. I can't believe that it actually cuts like a normal serrated bread knife - it has to work more like a saw cutting wood.

You are correct RP. It does act like a saw blade but it really can cut bread paper thin after all these years.

Can you give me a definition of a "normal" serrated bread knife?

I don't know if this knife was originally intended as a bread knife but it's worked for one for the last at least 70+ years I've known to slice bread.

This thing could have had medical uses as it's development and evolved to the kitchen.

My Great Grandfather was a doctor in the Civil War and it could have been something he used in his practice.

Now to really drift this thread off topic....

I have my Great Grandfathers ledgers from the 1870's.

To visit and medicate a patient was around 25 to 50 cents.
(We're talking on horseback and God knows what voodoo involved.)

And he was paid with all manner of things from boots to cigars to mention a few.

The big ticket item was to deliver a baby.

Anyone want to venture a guess as to how much that cost? ;)

You are correct RP. It does act like a saw blade but it really can cut bread paper thin after all these years.

I don't know if this knife was originally intended as a bread knife but it's worked for one for the last at least 70+ years I've known to slice bread.

This thing could have had medical uses as it's development and evolved to the kitchen.

My Great Grandfather was a doctor in the Civil War and it could have been something he used in his practice.

With those fine teeth, that could have been used for minor amputations. That was the most common form of military surgery during the Civil War. Hard to think of something that could have been employed in that manner being used to slice bread.

Oil is a good thing and I believe that's a part of it's history that causes some to think it's nasty and will kill any who encounter it.

Please explain the difference between "Finely Serrated" and "Serrated" to a dumbass like me. ;)

And he was paid with all manner of things from boots to cigars to mention a few.

I would have to guess that the baby cost at least a chicken.

With those fine teeth, that could have been used for minor amputations. That was the most common form of military surgery during the Civil War. Hard to think of something that could have been employed in that manner being used to slice bread.

And now instead of taking life, that knife is giving life. Can't ask anymore than that of it.

An arm and a leg?
:D

Finely serrated or micro serrations" is a knife with lots lofts of sharp teeth on the blade. Every "wave" in the knife is made up of more sharp teeth. This seldom goes dull but cant be sharpened.
http://kitchenfantasy.com/neverneed.jpg

Serrated knife blade, is a blade, think of a edge like a wave, it doesnt have lots of teeth, just one edge that is "wavy" and this can be sharpened.
Like this:
http://kitchenfantasy.com/goodserrated.jpg

I just had my bread knife sharpened, forgot and now I need to get a new cutting board.

The use of it being used in surgery is speculation.
But it' been used to slice bread as long as I've been alive.

I would have to guess that the baby cost at least a chicken.

It cost more then 1 chicken Addie.
I'd have to dig out the ledgers and see how much a chicken was worth but I'm sure it was less the he charged.

And now instead of taking life, that knife is giving life. Can't ask anymore than that of it.

As stated above it's being used in surgery is speculation but if it was it wouldn't have been used to take life but to save it. ;)

An arm and a leg?
:D

:LOL:
Could be if it was used to amputate. ;)
I think he had larger implements to do that. :ohmy:

For those who want to know.
It cost $5.00 to have him deliver a baby.
He added 50 cents if he had to use a device. (I think it might have been Ice Tongs.)
I'll leave it up to those interested to convert that to todays dollars.
But one reason I believe it cost so much more then the usual 10 cents to 75 cents is the time involved for the little rascal to make him/her self known.

Finely serrated or micro serrations" is a knife with lots lofts of sharp teeth on the blade. Every "wave" in the knife is made up of more sharp teeth. This seldom goes dull but cant be sharpened.
http://kitchenfantasy.com/neverneed.jpg

Serrated knife blade, is a blade, think of a edge like a wave, it doesnt have lots of teeth, just one edge that is "wavy" and this can be sharpened.
Like this:
http://kitchenfantasy.com/goodserrated.jpg

I just had my bread knife sharpened, forgot and now I need to get a new cutting board.

Thank you for the links Cake Poet. Now I've got some reading to do. :)

And do you really need a new cutting board or can you refurbish the old one? ;)

Back
Top Bottom