"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 03-20-2008, 01:14 AM   #11
Head Chef

I'm glad I could help, Plumies! I actually bought mine at 1SharpKnife.com, but for some reason their site is down. I've bought a buch of other stuff from the vendor I linked here and they're great.

There is a slight learning curve to the Apex, which should come as no surprise. It's a good idea to sharpen a couple of "beater" knives before you use it on one of your favorites. It's not so much that you'll harm the knife, you just won't be able to get it quite as sharp til you practice with it a bit. I'd say a few knives will give you the gist of it and after a dozen or so you'll be a pro.

Old 03-20-2008, 11:32 AM   #12
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Babcock View Post
It's a good idea to sharpen a couple of "beater" knives before you use it on one of your favorites.
I've plenty of those! I got confirmation that the kit shipped today so I'm hoping to get it early next week.

Old 03-30-2008, 11:55 AM   #13
Senior Cook

Got it on Thursday. I practiced sharpening using a Chicago Cutlery chef's knife Thursday and Friday to get comfortable. It's not very hard at all. I watched the DVD a couple of times and then read thru the manual (DVD showed the Pro version so had to refer to the manual for some Apex specifics). It took a little while for me to get the hand motion down and to figure out exactly how much pressure to use for each knife. My left hand still needs a little more work since it's movement is not as fluid as the right (being right handed and all).

So far, I've sharpened my Chinese cleaver, 3 paring knives, 1 boning knife, and a Wusthof Grand Prix santoku. I was able to get the santoku very sharp and the rest were much sharper than they've ever been, just not as sharp as the santoku.

Thanks again for all your help, Rob and Captain Buzz! I love the Apex.
Old 03-30-2008, 05:12 PM   #14
Head Chef

With practice you'll continue to learn and do better. I just used mine last nite to reprofile a knife for my dad. Every time he shows up for a visit he has an unfortunate habit of bringing some gigantic dull-as-dirt knife made of D2 for me to work on! If he keeps doing it I'll have to tell him to bring a new 120 stone along, too!
Old 07-17-2008, 09:55 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

Location: Ross-On-Wye, Herefordshire, UK and US Location- Mobile, Alabama
Just wanted to add my 2cents worth here.

I'm the UK/EU dealer for EdgePro. I accually found this forum while doing some research into who was using the sharpeners, how they was getting along with them, and their likes/dislikes about them. (Though now I have the sudden urge to go cook at 2am in the morning here in the UK).

Rob, has pretty much hit everything on the head with his previous post and I see that the main question is "which kit?"

To be honest the Kit #3 is the top seller I think for any of the Edge Pro dealers. Since it will allow you to work on every knife in the house. From the old beat-up knife in the shed to your fine japanese blades.

However if you plan to only sharpen your kitchen knives and the occasional pocket knife Kit #2 with the purchase of the 220 stone should suit your needs. This will give you all the stones and the 1200 grit ceramic rod, but not the tapes. Though if you're going all out and want scary sharp then Kit #3 is the way to go.

The 120 is going to be your repairing stone to take out any chips, dings, or rolled edges. As Rob noted his dad brings him some dull-as-dirt knives over where he eats up those 120 stones. I have a couple of knife makers here in the UK that hand bevel everything (they refuse to use a grinder/power tools, but luckly did come to their senses enough to use a sharpening system to help speed up the process).

The 220 will be the one you most likely will start out with if your repairing a overly dull kitchen knife.

The 320 is going to be your quick touch and go stone. Use it when you want to get the edge pack on the blade, but leave some micro serrations on the edge.

The 800 grit is going to give you that polished edge.

The tapes as Rob pointed out is going to give you that super fine polished edge for hair splitting sharpness. Edgepro offer a 2000 grit and a 7000 grit (think that is 1 micron and a .5 micron without pulling out the conversion chart). If your scratching your head and saying wait, I have 6000 grit tapes.. the 7000 grits just became available last week.

As for the diamond stones. Rob was right on the money again about them leaving some strong grooves and scratches. They will remove the metal quickly, but they will mess up a kitchen knife as well and leave one heck of a wire edge to remove. The diamond stones should be used on ceramic blades more than anything.

The ceramic rods also work well for touching up, just make sure that when you draw that knife to retain the same consistant angle. If not you can roll the edge or accually cause the blade to become duller.

Here is a video of the Apex system I found on you tube while doing some research. I have no clue who the guy is, but he does show a good demo of the Apex and how it works exactly for any of you that may want to see a extended demo compared to the one found on the US Edge Pro site by Ben.

this one is about 10 minutes long: (ok scratch that I see the URL can't be linked due to my post count. So go to Youtube and type in "Apex Sharpener" you should come up with two links one about 3 1/2 minutes long and another just under 10 minutes long by a guy called "cutlerylover")

any questions feel free to PM me with them and I'll answer them the best I can.

Now which one of you has the best recipe for BBQ ribs??????

cheers,
Joe
Old 07-18-2008, 12:07 AM   #16
Senior Cook

Hi Joe and welcome to the forum. The DVD that comes with the system is very helpful and supplements the manual. I found it very easy to use right from the start, but I had a lot of guidance from Captain Buzz and Rob. Your summary is also very helpful, just in time for this weekend's touch up for me!

I've also sharpened all my MIL's 20-30+ yr old Chicago Cutlery knives. She said those knives are sharper now than when they were new (now that's a memory!). My only problem when sharpening her knives was deciding exactly how sharp of an edge to put on them. I decided on the conservative side since I've seen how she uses her knives, heehee.

As far as the best BBQ ribs, they are all good, just depends on how you like your ribs. Maybe you should try them and let us know what you think is the best one!
Old 07-18-2008, 07:46 AM   #17
Assistant Cook

Location: Ross-On-Wye, Herefordshire, UK and US Location- Mobile, Alabama
Plumies,
Sometimes being conservative is the way to go it may save a finger or a major rolled edge depending upon the user.

I'll be testing some recipes shortly without a doubt. Now if it only wasn't raining today!

cheers,
Joe