"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 12-26-2006, 02:05 AM   #11
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to vyapti
Thanks, all.

I bought a Wustof 8" Chef Knife. I went completely the opposite direction from a Santuko and bought a knife with a nicely curved belly. I spent 2 hours this morning chopping for a multi-family meal. I love it!

Old 12-26-2006, 06:04 AM   #12
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by vyapti
Thanks, all.

I bought a Wustof 8" Chef Knife. I went completely the opposite direction from a Santuko and bought a knife with a nicely curved belly. I spent 2 hours this morning chopping for a multi-family meal. I love it!
The important thing to remember is that it doesn't need to be the last knife you buy!! ;o) I use all mine at one time or another.

Old 12-26-2006, 08:51 AM   #13
Sous Chef

8" santoku here...i just prefer the feel over a chefs knife.
Old 01-29-2007, 12:19 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

santoku knives seem to be good for slicing (the fat/blood grooves in the blade make them great for that) and fine cutting like chiffanod cutting.. I like using mine for cutting fresh herbs and more delicate cutting that needs something bigger than a paring/utility knife but smaller than a chef knife.
Old 01-29-2007, 02:17 PM   #15
Cook

It's all a matter of what you're accustomed to working with. I've used almost nothing but Chinese chef's knives for the last 40 years or so. In comparison, French chef's knives feel awkward and santoku knives feel flimsy to me. But the last time a friend who loves her French chef's knives and her santoku knives was cooking in my kitchen she asked, "Don't you have any REAL knives?"
Old 02-03-2007, 04:40 PM   #16
Senior Cook

I've "mastered" the chef's knife in Culinary classes and I must say, I did seem to find it lacking (or having too much) from time to time. I've played with the Santoku a few times and like the feel. Almost everyone I know uses one and they love them as well (just not the prices, since they all bought either the Emeril or Rachael Ray ones!). I have one on order and once I get it and use it a bit, I'll be able to give a better review.
Old 02-03-2007, 05:53 PM   #17
Sous Chef

I got a set of four Santoku's for Christmas and I love them!!
Old 02-03-2007, 06:57 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Mine is 10 inches long and about three inches wide. I like it for vegetables or anything that is 'wet', with the exception of cheese.
Old 02-04-2007, 02:06 PM   #19
Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to mad_evo99
My santoku is the first real knife I bought, and I use it for everything and love it. By everything, I really just mean cutting and chopping chicken and all the veggies I eat. Not having tried another kind of knife, I still not going to put this one away.
Old 02-19-2007, 12:15 AM   #20
Cook

It is what you are used to. In my opinion a santuko is a weak imitation of an Usuba, a Japanese vegetable knife. It has a square shape, but lacks the straight blade essential for vegetables. I have a Wustoff santuko and I like it for occasional use. But day to day I use a 10” Wustoff. It can do just about anything. From vegetables with the straight portion, to breaking fish, to fine garnish work with the tip.