"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 07-02-2007, 01:47 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
Wolfgang Puck's knives

Anyone own these? I was wondering if they are worth the $60 buy.

Old 07-02-2007, 09:15 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Dina, sorry I can't help. I don't know anything about them.

Someone will chime in, I'm sure.

Old 07-02-2007, 11:51 AM   #3
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to college_cook
I personally wouldn't buy any kitchen utensil or tool branded with a chef's name. Even if it's a good knife, it's likely not to be worth the money you'll pay for it. When a chef endorses a product it just raises the price tag for the consumer because the manufacturer has got to accomodate the chef's paycheck.

If you're comfortable with eBay, check out the following link. It's a set of Wusthof Grand Prix Knives. A little over a year ago Wusthof rolled out its 2nd edition of Grand Prix knives, and stopped manufacturing Grand Prix I knives. So, when you can find 1st edition Wusthof knives they are usually very cheap. The Grand Prix chef's knife I bought retailed for around $120 originally, but I got it on clearance for only $59 due to the new Grand Prix II knives coming out last year.Wusthof Grand Prix Knife Set

However, what I would really reccommend is hunting for a Grand Prix knife at a local kitchen supply store, or Williams-Sonoma or other kitchen retailer, on the off chance that they are still carrying Grand Prix knives, or maybe are able to order them from a company warehouse. I think it's very important to test drive a knife to make sure it feels good in your hand. Some people think this is not important. If the Wolfgang-Puck knives feel good in your hand, that's probably a good inidicator that they might be the right knives for you.
Old 07-02-2007, 12:22 PM   #4
Sous Chef

No personal experience, but FWIW, I've seen several online reviews that complained about the knives being dull.
Old 07-02-2007, 12:45 PM   #5
Executive Chef

I tend to agree with college cook. As to their dullness, seems a lot of knives are shipped dull for safety reasons. If you're not a home sharpener, it can cost you up to $4 a blade to make them up to grade.
Old 07-02-2007, 01:07 PM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo410
...seems a lot of knives are shipped dull for safety reasons...

I've never experienced that. New knives I have bought have had a great edge on them that lasted a long time with the regular attention of a steel.
Old 07-02-2007, 02:42 PM   #7
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
I've never experienced that. New knives I have bought have had a great edge on them that lasted a long time with the regular attention of a steel.
Same here, although Ive never purchased a knife over the internet (always picked them up at a local shop). The last set I bought in 2000 (and still use today), came razor sharp. The steel keep them that way for nearly a year, and I finally had to get a simple manual sharpener like this.

That little sharpener works great, and even though I have a 3-way sharpening stone, the little hand held gadget is actually much faster.
Old 07-02-2007, 04:57 PM   #8
Sous Chef

From azom.com:

Applications

Typical applications include:
· Rail car structural components - often roll formed, brake pressed or stretch formed to profiles but also used flat.
· Airframe sections
· Highway trailer components
· Automotive wheel covers
· Wiper blade holders and clips
· Toaster springs
· Stove element clips
· Screen frames
· Curtain walls

No mention of is being suitable for knives. 301 is not even mentioned in the bladeforums.com steel faq.

I'd stay away.
Old 07-02-2007, 05:26 PM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767
...No mention of is being suitable for knives. 301 is not even mentioned in the bladeforums.com steel faq.

I'd stay away.

Any mention of its being unsuitable for knives? I'd assume that all steel blends have multiple uses.
Old 07-02-2007, 05:45 PM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef

I just read some reviews on HSN.COM and they were mixed. Several reviewers stated they were having problems with rust spots on the steel.