Wolfgang Puck's knives

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dina, sorry I can't help. I don't know anything about them.

Someone will chime in, I'm sure.

I personally wouldn't buy any kitchen utensil or tool branded with a chef's name. Even if it's a good knife, it's likely not to be worth the money you'll pay for it. When a chef endorses a product it just raises the price tag for the consumer because the manufacturer has got to accomodate the chef's paycheck.

If you're comfortable with eBay, check out the following link. It's a set of Wusthof Grand Prix Knives. A little over a year ago Wusthof rolled out its 2nd edition of Grand Prix knives, and stopped manufacturing Grand Prix I knives. So, when you can find 1st edition Wusthof knives they are usually very cheap. The Grand Prix chef's knife I bought retailed for around $120 originally, but I got it on clearance for only $59 due to the new Grand Prix II knives coming out last year.Wusthof Grand Prix Knife Set

However, what I would really reccommend is hunting for a Grand Prix knife at a local kitchen supply store, or Williams-Sonoma or other kitchen retailer, on the off chance that they are still carrying Grand Prix knives, or maybe are able to order them from a company warehouse. I think it's very important to test drive a knife to make sure it feels good in your hand. Some people think this is not important. If the Wolfgang-Puck knives feel good in your hand, that's probably a good inidicator that they might be the right knives for you.

No personal experience, but FWIW, I've seen several online reviews that complained about the knives being dull.

I tend to agree with college cook. As to their dullness, seems a lot of knives are shipped dull for safety reasons. If you're not a home sharpener, it can cost you up to $4 a blade to make them up to grade.

Robo410 said:
...seems a lot of knives are shipped dull for safety reasons...

I've never experienced that. New knives I have bought have had a great edge on them that lasted a long time with the regular attention of a steel.

Andy M. said:
I've never experienced that. New knives I have bought have had a great edge on them that lasted a long time with the regular attention of a steel.

Same here, although I’ve never purchased a knife over the internet (always picked them up at a local shop). The last set I bought in 2000 (and still use today), came razor sharp. The steel keep them that way for nearly a year, and I finally had to get a simple manual sharpener like this.

That little sharpener works great, and even though I have a 3-way sharpening stone, the little hand held gadget is actually much faster.

From azom.com:

Applications

Typical applications include:
· Rail car structural components - often roll formed, brake pressed or stretch formed to profiles but also used flat.
· Airframe sections
· Highway trailer components
· Automotive wheel covers
· Wiper blade holders and clips
· Toaster springs
· Stove element clips
· Screen frames
· Curtain walls

No mention of is being suitable for knives. 301 is not even mentioned in the bladeforums.com steel faq.

I'd stay away.

buzzard767 said:
...No mention of is being suitable for knives. 301 is not even mentioned in the bladeforums.com steel faq.

I'd stay away.

Any mention of its being unsuitable for knives? I'd assume that all steel blends have multiple uses.

I just read some reviews on HSN.COM and they were mixed. Several reviewers stated they were having problems with rust spots on the steel.

Thanks guys. Ended up getting the knives and they're great. They even came with a sharpener. I'm pretty happy with Wolfgang Puck's knives.

Dina,
I agree with College Cook, any endorsed product has to pay for the chef's recommendation. If the knives feel good, I'd check the manufacturer on the box and verify if they make the same product with their own brand.
I have a set of Cutco knives that work nicely on most cooking applications, and use Laguiole and Oneida for eating (both very nice and comfortable).

Cook's Illustrated did a Chef's knife assessment in April, they recommend the Victorinox Fibrox 8" as Best Value ($ 23), with the Glestain Indented Blade ($ 210), Kershaw Shun ($ 194) and MAC 8" Superior ($ 55) having all top performance. Of course, if you have $ 475 handy, you can have the Kramer Chef's knife, handmade in Olympia, Wash.
Perhaps is worth trying the Victorinox and if it is comfortable, look for the set.
I hope this info helps you.

I know several people who have them, and like them. They paid about $30.00 Cdn for them. I bought my last knife on the internet, (Henckel Twin Cuisine), and when delivered, it was razor sharp.:)

Dina said:
Thanks guys. Ended up getting the knives and they're great. They even came with a sharpener. I'm pretty happy with Wolfgang Puck's knives.

Dina:

I'm glad you like them. Isn't it a pleasure to prep dinner when you are working with great, sharp knives!

How many knives in your set? What kind of sharpener did they give you?

I got a set of four Wolgang knifes for Christmas (in a block) from my DH and I love them. Use them all the time. He got them for a song at Costco.

I bought all our Puck items at Sam's club for a good price.The knives are great, hold their edge and my hubby{a Toolmaker} says they are forged.My boy tried to hack at some wood and broke a small chunk off the tip of the big one .I never throw them in sink with everything else-that is really bad for the edges.

Back
Top Bottom