"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 08-22-2007, 03:25 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
These are a great way to store and transport your knives if you don't want to use a block or magnetic strip.
GB, I have a knife block and then I have several magnetic strips hanging around the kitchen. Is it OK for your knives to be stored hanging on the strip? I like to keep a couple of small ones and some kitchen scissors handy on magnetic strips all over the kitchen but wondered if it is bad for them.

Old 08-22-2007, 03:27 PM   #12
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher's Mom View Post
GB, I have a knife block and then I have several magnetic strips hanging around the kitchen. Is it OK for your knives to be stored hanging on the strip? I like to keep a couple of small ones and some kitchen scissors handy on magnetic strips all over the kitchen but wondered if it is bad for them.

I store my knives on a magnetic strip. I've been using it for years. The wood block took up too much space on the counter.

Old 08-22-2007, 03:35 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I store my knives on a magnetic strip. I've been using it for years. The wood block took up too much space on the counter.
Actually, I'd rather keep them all out on the strips for the same reason as you but I wasn't sure it was okay. Now I will. Thanks, Andy.

I put those strips everywhere in the kitchen and have all sorts of stuff hanging from them. I mused out loud that it might be nice to put some strips on the woodwork over the doors (old house with very tall doors and ceilings) but one son pointed out he'd feel uncomfortable walking through a doorway that had knives hanging over his head!
Old 08-22-2007, 03:36 PM   #14
Head Chef

i would use magnets but we have little kids all around
Old 08-22-2007, 03:42 PM   #15
Chief Eating Officer

The magnetic strips could be argued to be better for your knives than the blocks even. The blocks can be a great place for bacteria to grow if you are not careful.
Old 08-22-2007, 03:52 PM   #16
Head Chef

After reading this I think I might check out my drawers and see if I have any magic knives appear. That is one thing I am lacking, a good knife. Actually I have a few I bought from my daughter's friend who was selling them. Not thrilled.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:23 AM   #17
Head Chef

lol, yeah. i was surprised to find them. they are now in the shop gettin sharpened. 3$ a knife. thats not to bad. better than i thought it would be.
Old 08-23-2007, 01:58 PM   #18
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT72884 View Post
i would use magnets but we have little kids all around
These are magnetic strips, not for the fridge.

I don't think the kids will be swollowing them.

Old 08-23-2007, 02:02 PM   #19
Head Chef

no no no. like as in, they will be running and if they jump there head could hit the knife. even if they are out of the way up on a wall an open blade makes me nervous. BUT i think i know where i could put them. so i have never seen these strips. is there a magnet on the knife itself or is it a strip that you put on a wall and the knife sticks to it
Old 08-23-2007, 02:06 PM   #20
Certified Pretend Chef

It's strip on the wall with magnet(s). The knife blade will attach to the magnet. I have mine mounted on the wall near the sink you have to reach across the kitchen counter to get to them. Actually harder to reach than knives in a drawer or block.