"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 11-09-2009, 07:25 AM   #11
Assistant Cook

Hi there, thanks for all your posts. I know that the scratches are not a big deal, but what bothers me is that the blade guards are supposed to prevent scratches and dents, and is not working good enough. As msmofet said the new model has a felt inside, the old ones just hard plastic.
I will post some pics later so you can see tha damage.

Thanks;

Gustavo

Old 11-09-2009, 09:20 AM   #12
Chief Eating Officer

These have always worked well for me.

Old 11-10-2009, 07:43 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Got the type available from Huberts for free when I bought a 6" chefs knife from LamsonSharp. Have had it for about 5 years and it works pretty good.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:12 AM   #14
Head Chef

Sorry all, haven't been online in a few days. Yeah, that link to Flitz is good- that's the stuff. Barkeeper's Friend will also do a good job of final polish.

I know some of the new guards are felt lined, but bear this in mind: the felt will absorb water. While it will prevent those small scratches it can hold moisture against the blade. Bear in mind that what we call "Stainless Steel" is just steel with 13% or more Chromium. That gives it a standardized measure of rust resistance but no steel is rust proof. If you don't believe me try this experiment: put 2 gals of water into a tall, narrow container. Add a few TBSP of bleach. Then immerse a "stainless" knife into that water & leave it. You'll probably see rust in a day or two.

The felt also gets dirty. If you put away a knife that's not 100% clean it will go right into the felt. Of course you should keep you knives clean but think about it- are yours always thoroughly clean when you put them away?

I don't mean to be a wet blanket but a coworker of mine has several of the felt one and has complained about just those issues.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:16 AM   #15
Chief Eating Officer

The knife safes that I use do not have felt. They have hard rubber spacer that keep the knife from moving around, and not not hold water or much of anything else to the blade.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:14 AM   #16
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
The knife safes that I use do not have felt. They have hard rubber spacer that keep the knife from moving around, and not not hold water or much of anything else to the blade.
I know, GB. Those are nice blade guards. I was referring to the felt ones.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:16 AM   #17
Chief Eating Officer

Oh I knew you would know that Rob. If I know something about knives or knife accessories then there is no doubt you know it I have a great respect for your knife knowledge.
My comment was to people unfamiliar with them so they would not be weary to try them.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:35 AM   #18
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Oh I knew you would know that Rob. If I know something about knives or knife accessories then there is no doubt you know it I have a great respect for your knife knowledge.
My comment was to people unfamiliar with them so they would not be weary to try them.
I shouldn't do this, but I can't help myself! A few guys I work with have had a minor problem with those guards you have, GB. When kept in a hot place the little rubber nubs that grip the knife tend to leave marks on the blade. Those marks are pretty stubborn and really resist being cleaned off.

I can never let a guy just enjoy anything, can I?

That said, they're about the best guard option I've ever seen (next to a wooden Saya).
Old 11-11-2009, 08:38 AM   #19
Chief Eating Officer

I used to keep all my knives in them for permanent storage. When I moved into my new house I did not have a spot for me magnetic rack (my preferred method of storing my knives) and i did not have a block, so the knife safes were the next best thing. I have since acquired a block so now I only use my safes when I travel.
Old 11-11-2009, 12:08 PM   #20
Senior Cook

I've got one of those Blade Safes on my chefs knife and consider them to be relatively inconvenient as compared to a sheath type guard or a block or a magnetic unit. It pretty much requires two hands and contortionist ability to unlatch the cover or a third hand unless there is a method I have not yet figured out.

In absolute terms, it is only a second or three longer to get into action so it is more of an annoyance that a real problem unless you happen to suffer from arthritis and have some limits on your dexterity.