"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 11-11-2009, 02:44 PM   #21
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy_ View Post
I've got one of those Blade Safes on my chefs knife and consider them to be relatively inconvenient as compared to a sheath type guard or a block or a magnetic unit. It pretty much requires two hands and contortionist ability to unlatch the cover or a third hand unless there is a method I have not yet figured out.

In absolute terms, it is only a second or three longer to get into action so it is more of an annoyance that a real problem unless you happen to suffer from arthritis and have some limits on your dexterity.
Also takes two hands to put knives in sheaths. Tough to use and maintain a knife properly if your dexterity is impaired.

Old 11-11-2009, 03:02 PM   #22
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbill View Post
Also takes two hands to put knives in sheaths......
Not to be overly nit-picky; but, actually, it is pretty easy to do with one hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbill View Post
.....Tough to use and maintain a knife properly if your dexterity is impaired.
More difficult, no doubt; but not anywhere close to impossible and lots of older cooks (and maybe even a few younger ones) have a touch of arthritis and chose to find alternative ways to deal with their limitations rather than giving up cooking altogether.

Old 11-11-2009, 03:07 PM   #23
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy_ View Post
I've got one of those Blade Safes on my chefs knife and consider them to be relatively inconvenient as compared to a sheath type guard or a block or a magnetic unit. It pretty much requires two hands and contortionist ability to unlatch the cover or a third hand unless there is a method I have not yet figured out.
I am not sure what kind of knife safes you are using, but the ones I use could not be easier. I could easily open mine with one hand if I wanted to, although it would never make sense for me to do that. I can see someone with arthritis having difficulty because the latch is small, but for someone without arthritis or something similar I would say doing the latch weighs in at next to no effort at all.
Old 11-11-2009, 03:15 PM   #24
Senior Cook

GB: I have the exact same Blade Safe as pictured earlier. Guess you have figured out a little trick that has not occurred to me yet.
Old 11-11-2009, 03:23 PM   #25
Chief Eating Officer

Maybe you got a defective one. There is no trick to mine. It is as easy as anything can be.
Old 11-11-2009, 05:16 PM   #26
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Maybe you got a defective one. There is no trick to mine. It is as easy as anything can be.
I use the knife safes GB linked.

I hold the knife handle in one hand and use the thumb and forefinger finger of my other hand to release the two latches one at a time. The knife safe slips away and I'm ready to go. Not quite as easy as slipping the knife out of a simple sheath, but not an issue either.

Rob: I have those little smudge marks on my blades and never keep then in a particularly warm place.