Wusthof blade guards, please help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've got one of those Blade Safes on my chefs knife and consider them to be relatively inconvenient as compared to a sheath type guard or a block or a magnetic unit. It pretty much requires two hands and contortionist ability to unlatch the cover or a third hand unless there is a method I have not yet figured out.

In absolute terms, it is only a second or three longer to get into action so it is more of an annoyance that a real problem unless you happen to suffer from arthritis and have some limits on your dexterity.
Also takes two hands to put knives in sheaths. Tough to use and maintain a knife properly if your dexterity is impaired.

Also takes two hands to put knives in sheaths......
Not to be overly nit-picky; but, actually, it is pretty easy to do with one hand.

.....Tough to use and maintain a knife properly if your dexterity is impaired.
More difficult, no doubt; but not anywhere close to impossible and lots of older cooks (and maybe even a few younger ones) have a touch of arthritis and chose to find alternative ways to deal with their limitations rather than giving up cooking altogether.

I've got one of those Blade Safes on my chefs knife and consider them to be relatively inconvenient as compared to a sheath type guard or a block or a magnetic unit. It pretty much requires two hands and contortionist ability to unlatch the cover or a third hand unless there is a method I have not yet figured out.
I am not sure what kind of knife safes you are using, but the ones I use could not be easier. I could easily open mine with one hand if I wanted to, although it would never make sense for me to do that. I can see someone with arthritis having difficulty because the latch is small, but for someone without arthritis or something similar I would say doing the latch weighs in at next to no effort at all.

Maybe you got a defective one. There is no trick to mine. It is as easy as anything can be.

Maybe you got a defective one. There is no trick to mine. It is as easy as anything can be.

I use the knife safes GB linked.

I hold the knife handle in one hand and use the thumb and forefinger finger of my other hand to release the two latches one at a time. The knife safe slips away and I'm ready to go. Not quite as easy as slipping the knife out of a simple sheath, but not an issue either.

Rob: I have those little smudge marks on my blades and never keep then in a particularly warm place.

Back
Top Bottom