Wusthof Classic versus Kershaw Wasabi?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chuy

Assistant Cook
I am looking for a low-priced 7" santoku and would appreciate some help in comparing a Wusthof Classic versus a Kershaw Wasabi?

I have been happy with other Wusthof Classic knives that I own. The Kershaw Wasabi looks good on paper, but I have never held one in my hand. Given my fairly remote location, I doubt I would ever be able to do a real one-on-one test.

Your thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

I am looking for a low-priced 7" santoku and would appreciate some help in comparing a Wusthof Classic versus a Kershaw Wasabi?

I have been happy with other Wusthof Classic knives that I own. The Kershaw Wasabi looks good on paper, but I have never held one in my hand. Given my fairly remote location, I doubt I would ever be able to do a real one-on-one test.

Your thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

I have both. The Wasabi has a great edge and will cut at least as well as the Wusthof- in fact, it's sharper out of the box and is perhaps capable of holding a better edge. However, edge isn't everything. The Wusthof is a better balanced knife with a better handle. I'd say the Classic is the better all-around knife.

Still, it comes down to price. If performance trumps ergonomics and your budget is tight the Kershaw give you more bang-for-buck. It eventually comes down to personal choice. Both are fine knives.

Would be interesting if Kershaw's Wasabi line compared favorably to Wusthof; since Kershaw's Shun line seems to be on balance (edge retention, stain resistance, scratch resistance, ease of edge maintenance) only marginally better than Wusthof. However, if Kershaw's Wasabi blade is thinner, considering the $35 price, I'd give it a try if I didn't already own several dozen knives.

'm not happy with the Wusthof Classic Handles, and IMO the Classic Ikon range has much more ergonomic handles for only slightly higher price.

Are you sure you want a Santoku knife? I've ended up selling my Santoku and buying a Nakiri. I found that a French style Chef's knife does slicing and dicing better and the Nakiri does chopping better.

i'm a huge fan of my wusthof classic santoku. she's a beauty. beautiful tang to her. these guys recommended i try to find what fits, & mine fit.
i've a case of knives from school that work, 'Chef' brand. would rather take my wusthof to school. Chef said i could.

I bought two Wasabis for my wife several months ago, mostly so she wouldn't be destroying *my* knives. They were fairly sharp from the factory so I had her use them as is and she was happy with the knives as is. Me being me, I had to make them "better". Yesterday I took the nakiri, which like all Shuns, comes factory sharpened at 16 degrees per side, 50/50 double bevel except for their few single bevels of course. I used freehand stones and thinned the edge to 10-12 degrees (my guess). As I went up through the stones the edge held up well so I went all the way to stropping with .25 micron diamond spray. I don't know what Daido 1K6 steel is, but it works quite well. An ex-member describes a screaming sharp edge as "a thousand microscopic piranhas nibbling at your fingerprints". True enough and those who sharpen insanely know that feeling. Just how long the edge will last remains to be seen, but the Wasabi steel is capable of far more refinement than any Wustof.

I vote for Wasabi.

Back
Top Bottom