Wusthof Knifes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Which brings me to the question, directly after use I cleaned the knife, then went directly to the steel. It almost seems to have dulled the edge. Discussted, put it in the block and, to my surprise the next day, it is razor sharp. How'd that happen?

Seeing as how steel cannot sharpen itself I can only imagine one scenario. You most likely steeled at too high an angle and pushed the edge well to the side. It's easy to do and the edge will be dull. In the process of inserting and/or extracting the knife from the block you probably accidentally pushed the edge back into alignment.

Buzz

Buzz, I don't have to tell youu that Japanese knives are much harder and just are not as easy to sharpen proparly as Europian knives. They are just not. I'm sorry but it's taking me years to learn how to prparly sharpen the knife. And I used to make knives, but would have to take them to somebody to sharpen for me.

Again, PLEASE, lets end the discussion of Japanese knives or sharpening or anything other than the OP's initial question which was what we think of Wustoff knives. Feel free to start new threads on the other subjects, but it is not fair to the OP to hijack the thread and discuss other subjects.

Thank you every one for your input on all this. Since I have already got the Wusthof Knives I see how I go with them they are FAB at the moment really love them best I have had. If the time comes if I need to go better I know what to look for :)

Wusthof's aren't all that bad. Actually I don't do the factory bevel on it. I actually sharpen it like a japanese knife so I have like quarter inch up the edge of the blade instead of sharpening the tip. Also got rid of the 22 degree angle and throw on a 15 degree and it is wicked sharp. It doesn't stay sharp as long as a japanese knife but it way sharper than what the knife was at factorywise.

If I get another Wusthof, it would be the new Ikons or the Cordon Bleu's. Reason is they don't have that huge full bolster. (or as some people call it the finger guard) It is a pain to sharpen because you can never sharpen all the way to the heel and over time the blade turns into a triangle. The tip get more and more narrow while the heel stays the same with because the bolster keeps you from sharpening it.

Although I use Sabatier vintage carbon steel knives at home, I have a few Wusthof Classic knives that I use when I go to cook at church or a friends's house.

I like the Wusthof knives although they do not fit my hand like the Sabatiers. They are a good knife that most people will enjoy in the kitchen.

BTW I used to post on the knife forum "in the kitchen"! It is a great place to learn more about knives if you don't let the ribbing get to you.

Boy you have a greatttttt memory buzzard! It has been a long time since I posted over there.

Boy you have a greatttttt memory buzzard! It has been a long time since I posted over there.

I did a search. Once I saw the pix it clicked because that case is something I'd have loved in my kitchen. I never forget something I like (read, I was more than a little jealous). Now I only have three ancient Thiers-Issard Sabs left. The rest are newer and undeserving of a store case like yours.

Buzz

Ah....thank you! I bought it on Ebay for about $100, but I haven't seen another one.

Back
Top Bottom