Wusthof Knifes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rookies

Assistant Cook
Hi All

I am new to this forum but I have been into cooking for a while now and I love cooking and taking my time and making fancy foods...

I just been and got myself 3 different Wusthof Knifes in the Classic Range.. Are these good knifes? Alot of people told me to get them, as I was going to go for global but after borrowing one on the Global I just did not like it gave me blisters and the handle I did not like at all..

I am hoping you guys who knows about these things are going to say what I have got are Great

Great is a kinda high rating. Good or adequate might be a more appropriate adjective. Wusthof steel is somewhat softer but less brittle than some other lines of cutlery. This tends to make them somewhat easier to sharpen and also easier to dull.This should not be a problem if you can develop some sharpening and edge maintenace skills.

For the average home cook they are very good knives. There are much better knives out there, but Wustoff is a very decent knife. It is kind of like buying a Toyota. Sure you could get a better car that performs much better than the Toyota, but for the average person the Toyota will do what it is supposed to do and do it well.

Ok point taken but out of interest what knifes would you of gone for and would they been more money than the Wusthof?

I actually own Wustoff. Knowing what I know now, I probably would have gone for a Japanese knife. I have gotten into sharpening knives recently and you can get a much better edge on a Japanese knife than on a German knife. If I were not into sharpening I would not mind sticking with Wustoff. As for brand and price, that I am not sure. I am not familiar enough with Japanese knifes to know which brands to look at yet. Price can vary from less expensive than what you have now to more expensive than your car.

First choice is learning how to sharpen and maintain knife edges. Second choice shelling out big bucks for RC 61C + powdered metal alloy like the Shun Elite line.

What range that show us a link please on this... Money not a issue for me just want the best...

Is there a website to show us how to sharpen blades properly?

My wive and I have been using the the same set of Wusthof Classic kitchen knives nearly every day for 40 years. They're as good as new, and they hold a fine, sharp edge for a long, long time.

I also have several Japanese knives, mostly Hattori. Also very nice.

As for the sharpening thing, that can get into the lunatic fringe area pretty quickly. You don't need a scalpel for cutting up veggies and meat in the kitchen.

Don't listen to anybody, as far as I am concern the Toyota is a great car, you made a right choice. I have 7 or 8 of them, the only one I do not use is tomato Toyota. it is a serated one, waiste of money, should have gotten a regular toyota, a 4" paring one, would have been just fine. No it is not lexis, but there is no extra expensive maitanase you have to shell out extra big bucks for, as most drivers cannot service them, the lexis' by them selves. And the mechanicks charge big bucks. I once saw this huge sale in a kitchen store, where they were selling the lexis' the sharpening was $10 per inch. So 8" lexis would have cost you 80 bucks, that is practicaly a new 8" toyota. So unles you are a lexis mechanic your selfe you made an exelent choice in getting one of those toyotas'.

Buzz you do only because you can sharpen it your self. I can sharpen Wustof, but cuoldn't sharpen the Shun, it is a completely different ball game. I only wish I could, I would love them all fancy Japanise knives. In the mean time my wustof's are razor sharp, unfortunately they do not stay sharp as long as Shun. But unfortunately I cannot afford to pay somebody like you to Sharpen it. Well, some day G-d willing, ok?

pay someone to sharpen knives???:LOL:

if a 12 year old boyscout can learn to sharpen a knife, anyone can--it just takes practice

Back
Top Bottom