"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 03-21-2008, 03:24 AM   #11
Head Chef

I love my Wustoff classic knives. I have a set and wouldn't trade them for anything. I'm particularly fond of my Santoku.

Old 03-21-2008, 04:57 AM   #12
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama View Post
I love my Wustoff classic knives. I have a set and wouldn't trade them for anything. I'm particularly fond of my Santoku.
I love my Wustoff santoku, too! Just curious is there much of a price difference between the W. and the T.?? Just go with what feels good in your hand. I don't have teeny tiny petite hands and I don't have large ones either so the Wusthhof is great for me. Believe me it's sharp enough based on my recent stitches.

Old 03-21-2008, 06:39 AM   #13
Head Chef

You ladies really need to try a Tojiro! Depending on which Wusthof you're considering, the Tojiro will probably be cheaper. I also have a wide variety of santoku's, including a Tojioro- it's probably the best of the lot (aside from my Shun).
Old 03-21-2008, 09:59 AM   #14
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
I don't care for santokus for myself... prefer my 10-inch and my 4-inch paring knife.
Old 03-21-2008, 11:47 AM   #15
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
I'm guessing, if you are looking at an 8-inch knife that you are shorter than 5'6" the 10-inch is recommended for taller folks. better balance and heft. I was surprised to experience the difference, but it's been more than 20 years, and I love my 10-inch Wusthof's.
Well i'm actually a big guy just under 6'(200lbs and 19 years old), my main reason for choosing th 8 inch is because i yous a cheap 8 inch right now and i'm fine with the size but then again i've nerver used a ten inch on before, also price 10inchers tend to be more expensive.
Anywyas i'm ging on a hunt to find the tojiro to try hopefully the place by my house has one because i'm not going downtown.

p.S where can i get knives cheap online, i was considering ebay but if their is somewher more reliable let me know
Tojiro
Wusthuf 1, 2
Old 03-21-2008, 12:13 PM   #16
Senior Cook

I was also looking at the Tojiro DP 240 mm gyuto and was wondering what the blade differences are between the Tojiro DP and the Tojiro Pro DP? The Pro has the SS handle, which looks nice.
Old 03-21-2008, 05:33 PM   #17
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yonsen View Post
Can i see your sources?....I couldnt find much other than Vague descriptions online.
If you go to korin.com you'll see a blurb where they mention carbon steel. This is absolutely incorrect. Those of us who own Tojiro DPs will testify that they do not rust. That said, it looks like the cutting edge is 13C26 (same as AEB-L), 12C27, or something along those lines. These are the Swedish steels that fall into the 13% chromium level that Korin mentions. If so, the carbons are as small as those found in ultra expensive powder steel and therefore can realistically be sharpened sharper than razor blades if you're into that. I am.

Back to the original question; If the blade will be seeing a lot of bone get the German. If the blade will be used on vegetables and boneless meats, it's Tojiro all the way. The Toji cuts. It slices. It is a razor. The Wusthof pushes the material aside to some amount and is burdened with excess friction. The difference in feel and pure pleasure is night and day.

"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and those who have met them in battle. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion." Unknown
buzzard767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 05:53 PM   #18
Senior Cook

If the Tojiro DP and the Tojiro Pro DP have the same blade, then this site is in line with what Buzz is saying: Restaurant Supply - TOJIRO PRO DP 3 LAYERS, GYUTOU 240MM
Old 03-21-2008, 08:37 PM   #19
Sous Chef

Carol - I can't answer that, yet. The various sellers and the Tojiro site itself are not very specific. Smaller manufacturers in Japan are proud of the steels they use and make the exact sources known.

One of the reasons Tojiro is such a great bang for the buck is because the blades are mass produced, stamped rather than hand forged. They manufacture 5000 blades a day as opposed to a handful. None the less, the geometry is pure Japanese and the steel they are made of is, in my opinion, very high quality based on sharpenability, edge retention, etc. I sent an email to Tojiro asking for specifics on steels used and will post the reply if and when received.

"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and those who have met them in battle. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion." Unknown
Old 03-21-2008, 08:48 PM   #20
Sous Chef

This doesn't help a bit, likely because this person doesn't really know the answer to my query..... Note that I asked for specifics and did not receive any. Fast response though - whatever.

Hi Buzz,

Thanks for your inquiry.

Please note Blades of DP models are same as DP Pro models.

Best regards,

Toru Kamoi
Fuji Cutlery Co., Ltd.

Attached Message
From:buzzard767@aol.comTo:kamoi@fujitora.co.jpSubj ect:question about steel compositionDate:Sat, 22 Mar 2008 07:40:20 +0900
Are the cutting edges of the DP models sold by www.korin.com different than the DP Pro models found elsewhere? If they are different, which Swedish steel is used in the Korin DPs, 13C26, AEB-L, or whatever?

Thank you,

Buzz