"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 03-30-2008, 05:09 PM   #41
Head Chef

Congrats, Plumies! I have a 240mm Tojiro gyotu and really love it. The Apex is a great tool, too.

Old 03-30-2008, 06:28 PM   #42
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post
Excellent. Tojiros usually have a very sharp factory edge. Slicing paper: This is mostly slicing as opposed to pure , but it's a good Curtis Chung .
Heehee, I like those videos. I sliced a regular copy paper and a thinner pad paper with the Tojiro. I had to look up stropping with chromium oxide (you're making my head hurt again! ). I'm going to wait a bit before I touch up the factory edge. Just until I get a little better...

Old 03-30-2008, 06:50 PM   #43
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumies View Post
Heehee, I like those videos. I sliced a regular copy paper and a thinner pad paper with the Tojiro. I had to look up stropping with chromium oxide (you're making my head hurt again! ). I'm going to wait a bit before I touch up the factory edge. Just until I get a little better...
Your factory edge should last quite a while. When it starts to diminish, realign it with a glass smooth steel, borosicate steel, edge of a baking dish, car window, or even a Guinness glass. Another choice, although last, a fine grit ceramic rod - VERY lightly. You should be able to use that technique a few times. Once the edge will no longer come back it's time for the EdgePro. Use the magic marker trick to establish the original angle as Japanese knives are usually best left this way.

Back to stropping - you need to do it for the best edge finishing. Check this out. It's one of the better reads on sharpening and stropping. It is quite long so you might want to save it for when you're at the office rather than wasting time at home. Nuk nuk!

"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and those who have met them in battle. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion." Unknown
buzzard767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 12:13 AM   #44
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post
Back to stropping - you need to do it for the best edge finishing. Check this out. It's one of the better reads on sharpening and stropping. It is quite long so you might want to save it for when you're at the office rather than wasting time at home. Nuk nuk!

Old 04-02-2008, 10:37 PM   #45
Assistant Cook

just recieved my tojiro and i'm loving it, too bad i have'nt used it much as i'm in the middle of midterms right now...:)
Old 04-03-2008, 11:08 AM   #46
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananafeller View Post
just recieved my tojiro and i'm loving it, too bad i have'nt used it much as i'm in the middle of midterms right now...:)
Awesome, glad you like it too! How do you like the size? This is the largest knife I have so I'm getting used to the size. I used it the other night to cut some chicken breasts and it sliced those things like warm butter. I haven't used much of it either. I have mostly using the new Misono Molyb petty. Now I'm thinking I might "need" to get that Tojiro DP 15cm petting.
Old 04-03-2008, 11:43 AM   #47
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumies View Post
Awesome, glad you like it too! How do you like the size? This is the largest knife I have so I'm getting used to the size. I used it the other night to cut some chicken breasts and it sliced those things like warm butter. I haven't used much of it either. I have mostly using the new Misono Molyb petty. Now I'm thinking I might "need" to get that Tojiro DP 15cm petting.
You_are_hooked!

Monday or Tuesday I'll be receiving my Yoshikane 240 SKD Gyuto back from a rehandling job. Just wait.....

"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and those who have met them in battle. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion." Unknown
Old 04-03-2008, 01:39 PM   #48
Head Chef

Who's doing the rehandle, Buzz?
Old 04-03-2008, 02:28 PM   #49
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Babcock View Post
Who's doing the rehandle, Buzz?
Stefan #18 - Spalted tamarind, golden amboyna ferrule - ohhhhh LOL

Rehandle by Dave. First epoxy was last night. Sometimes it settles slightly into the handle and needs another coat to bring it up even so it'll either be in the mail today or tomorrow thus my early next week delivery.

It's the same knife shown in my avatar. I got tired of the plain Jane right handed D shape. I use this knife more than any other so I thought I'd be nice to it and dress it up real pretty like. The SKD steel takes on a bunch of chopping on the Sani-Tuff without chipping and for that purpose (IMO) is better than Hitachi blue or white and most others for that matter. However, nothing so far slices like the white....

The knife I'm *really* waiting for is the new H.T. Reyerson line. I have always thought Sandvik 13C26 (or Udeholm AEB-L, same composition) would make the ultimate chef's knives for the home cook. The only mass produced knives that might be made of 13C26 are the Tojiro DPs but they aren't talking. Custom maker Phil Wilson is doing the Eugene, OR knife show this month on the 12-13th. He has a 9" AEB-L chef's and if not sold at the show I have first dibs. Problem is, he wants 4 bills + shipping and insurance and they are hardened at HRc60. Wilson's normal waiting period for a knife is a year or so. Go figure?????

H.T. is getting some new equipment for cryo treating, and thanks to a couple of family secrets given him by Larrin Thomas, he's going to be able to obtain HRc63.

Think about this; A kitchen knife sharing the same steel as gillette razor blades, capable of handling insane edge geometry, extremely hard while retaining toughness, and on top of it all it is very easy to sharpen. The beauty of it all is that they will probably be available at less than half the Phil Wilson price depending on the handle. Reyerson has some top quality wood in inventory.

I think my dream knife is in the not too distant future......

Old 04-03-2008, 02:35 PM   #50
Sous Chef

Phil Wilson 9" AEB-L with fiddleback maple handle
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Phil Wilson Chef Knife.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	3696