"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 04-03-2008, 03:28 PM   #51
Senior Cook

Very nice, Buzz!

Old 04-03-2008, 03:42 PM   #52
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumies View Post
Very nice, Buzz!
Phil Wilson sent that pic to me. He told me that the Eugene show is not too hot for kitchen cutlery sales and thinks it will be available mid-month. It would probably cost me $420 total. The Reyerson knives are likely going to be BETTER for about half that price so I'll probably turn down the PW if it becomes available. Here's a similar Wilson. More on that same knife.

Using a light touch with the EdgePro?

"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and those who have met them in battle. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion." Unknown
buzzard767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 04:02 PM   #53
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post
Using a light touch with the EdgePro?
You bet! I've got the Chicago Cutlery knife slicing paper now.
Old 04-03-2008, 04:18 PM   #54
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumies View Post
You bet! I've got the Chicago Cutlery knife slicing paper now.
Did you try the polishing tapes or did you stop with the 800 stone?

You can make all your knives slice or push cut much better by stropping with .5 micron liquid chromium oxide from Dave. It will polish nicely if applied to a leather strop but there is less chance of rolling the edge if you apply it to paper on glass because there is virtually no give. There is a required technique but it is a snap to learn.

Buzz
Old 04-04-2008, 12:56 AM   #55
Head Chef

Quote:
Stefan #18 - Spalted tamarind, golden amboyna ferrule - ohhhhh LOL

Rehandle by Dave. First epoxy was last night. Sometimes it settles slightly into the handle and needs another coat to bring it up even so it'll either be in the mail today or tomorrow thus my early next week delivery.
So you're the &$%^@ that got #18! That's a beauty! I'm really considering purchasing something from that gorgeous stock of handles.

Quote:
The knife I'm *really* waiting for is the new H.T. Reyerson line. I have always thought Sandvik 13C26 (or Udeholm AEB-L, same composition) would make the ultimate chef's knives for the home cook. The only mass produced knives that might be made of 13C26 are the Tojiro DPs but they aren't talking. Custom maker Phil Wilson is doing the Eugene, OR knife show this month on the 12-13th. He has a 9" AEB-L chef's and if not sold at the show I have first dibs. Problem is, he wants 4 bills + shipping and insurance and they are hardened at HRc60. Wilson's normal waiting period for a knife is a year or so. Go figure?????
Do you make it onto his "Original Seven" list? I sure wish I had. Bums me out- I asked almost instantly after he posted his intentions, and I've already purchased two knives from him... Oh, well. No big deal, I'll just get a later one. I think he's gonna build a couple of my Dream Knives, too. My idea for the perfect gyuto is a cross between the belly, offset and bolster area of a Shun Classic with the basic handle shape of a Hattori Forum Knive, but executed in something more exotic. His latest batch of steel sounds awesome. One of the knives I got from him is handled in something like burled maple...can't recall the exact wood but it's beautiful. With some tiny bit of remorse I gave it to my Dad for his birthday.

HT is definately an up-and-comer. I hope to purchase a fair bit of his work in the years to come.
Old 04-04-2008, 09:30 AM   #56
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Babcock View Post
One of the knives I got from him is handled in something like burled maple...can't recall the exact wood but it's beautiful. With some tiny bit of remorse I gave it to my Dad for his birthday.
You've aleady purchased two knives from H.T.? What kind of knives? How did you even hear of him? By the way, he loves the 13C26, and can grind a knife in one third the time it took with the S30V.

"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and those who have met them in battle. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion." Unknown
buzzard767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 01:57 AM   #57
Head Chef

Quote:
You've aleady purchased two knives from H.T.? What kind of knives? How did you even hear of him? By the way, he loves the 13C26, and can grind a knife in one third the time it took with the S30V.
Nothing fancy, some Green River skinners that he custom handled for my Dad's birthday. I actually just PMed him right when he signed up on KF.

I think the 13C26 will make great kitchen knives.