Wusthof vs Tojiro

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bananafeller

Assistant Cook
Wusthof 8inch classic chef's knife
0r
Tojiro DP 240mm Gyuto

ok so i'm going to buy one of these (perhaps suggestion are welcome) which should it me.
i'm also up for any suggestions

I haven't tried many other good brands, but I LOVE my Henkel knives.
I did use a wusthof once at a relative's, and I was really annoyed that it was so difficult to use..... until I found out this person NEVER sharpens knives. nice huh?

it all depends on what you want.
Do you want brute force, cutting power, ease of care, and durability? If so, go Wusthof.

Or do you want a razor edge for both fine and precision work along with just about any kitchen task? The Tojiro Gyuto would be that.

note: wusthof uses a proven drop forging method with a reliable high-carbon stainless steel.

***I do not know much of a Tojiro's forging other than it has a carbon-steel core encased with a stainless steel to prevent erosion (since carbon steel holds a sharper edge more than stainless, yet will rust and put a metallic taste and smell in your food).
--

Hope this helps. (anyone else?)

***Edit: Disputed.

Last edited:
I have the 8" Wusthof Classic and can't say that I can fault it. Where I bought mine (BB&B) they only had Henkels and Wusthof in open stock, I tried both out for feel and weight distribution, and for my hand (large hands, but not freakishly, I'd say average large hands) the Wusthof felt more balanced with the proper holding technique in my hand. After I decided on the Wusthof, the sales manager said that they sold alot more Wusthof to local chef's around town. I don't think that means its any better than the Henkels, just what the locals seem to prefer at that store, which I'm sure the sales volume of any of these knives is not much.

I'd say really, try both in your hands if you can at all. They all DO feel different, and you'll know which one to get when its in your hands, SOOOO much different from all of the cheap knives I've had over the years. I replaced an entire cheap block set with an 8" chef's knife, and a 6" paring knife. I'll eventually get a nice bread knife and I'll be able to do more, easier and faster with those 3 knives, than with an entire set of useless knives.

So try to hold them in YOUR hand and make your decision, other than metalurgy facts, no one can tell you which one you'll like more, but you and your hand!

It does depend on what you're going to use it for. I have a Tojiro 240mm gyoto as well as an 8" Wusthof (an older one probably 15 years old but in great condition). While I keep it sharp it's no match for the Tojiro- the latter simply takes a screaming edge. For 95% of the jobs I use a chef's knife for the Tojiro is superior.

But that 5% keeps the Wusthof in my roll. Stuff like splitting lobsters, splitting chickens and peeling & cutting pineapple are better left to a thick, sturdy blade such as the Wusthof.

It does depend on what you're going to use it for. I have a Tojiro 240mm gyoto as well as an 8" Wusthof (an older one probably 15 years old but in great condition). While I keep it sharp it's no match for the Tojiro- the latter simply takes a screaming edge. For 95% of the jobs I use a chef's knife for the Tojiro is superior.

But that 5% keeps the Wusthof in my roll. Stuff like splitting lobsters, splitting chickens and peeling & cutting pineapple are better left to a thick, sturdy blade such as the Wusthof.
Better put :pig:

BTW, according to all the information I've been able to dig up, Korin's site is flatly wrong about the Tojiro using a carbon steel hagane. The cutting core is apparently a harder type of stainless with softer stainless cladding. Supposedly this is merely an error they've never gotten around to correct.

Wusthof 8inch classic chef's knife
0r
Tojiro DP 240mm Gyuto

ok so i'm going to buy one of these (perhaps suggestion are welcome) which should it me.
i'm also up for any suggestions

It depends on what you want it for, and what feels right in your hand. You definitely need to check it out.

I'm guessing, if you are looking at an 8-inch knife that you are shorter than 5'6" the 10-inch is recommended for taller folks. better balance and heft. I was surprised to experience the difference, but it's been more than 20 years, and I love my 10-inch Wusthof's.

BTW, according to all the information I've been able to dig up, Korin's site is flatly wrong about the Tojiro using a carbon steel hagane. The cutting core is apparently a harder type of stainless with softer stainless cladding. Supposedly this is merely an error they've never gotten around to correct.

Can i see your sources?....I couldnt find much other than Vague descriptions online.

Can i see your sources?....I couldnt find much other than Vague descriptions online.

I'm basing this on the word of a handful of professional sharpeners that frequent KnifeForums.com, and some sellers of Japanese knives. I realize you can't tell by looking, but all of my Tojiro's seem to be stainless thru and thru.

That's not very specific, I realize. And it could be wrong, but that appears to be factual.

I love my Wustoff classic knives. I have a set and wouldn't trade them for anything. I'm particularly fond of my Santoku.

I love my Wustoff classic knives. I have a set and wouldn't trade them for anything. I'm particularly fond of my Santoku.
I love my Wustoff santoku, too!:) Just curious is there much of a price difference between the W. and the T.?? Just go with what feels good in your hand. I don't have teeny tiny petite hands and I don't have large ones either so the Wusthhof is great for me. Believe me it's sharp enough based on my recent stitches.:LOL:

You ladies really need to try a Tojiro!;) Depending on which Wusthof you're considering, the Tojiro will probably be cheaper. I also have a wide variety of santoku's, including a Tojioro- it's probably the best of the lot (aside from my Shun).

I'm guessing, if you are looking at an 8-inch knife that you are shorter than 5'6" the 10-inch is recommended for taller folks. better balance and heft. I was surprised to experience the difference, but it's been more than 20 years, and I love my 10-inch Wusthof's.

Well i'm actually a big guy just under 6'(200lbs and 19 years old), my main reason for choosing th 8 inch is because i yous a cheap 8 inch right now and i'm fine with the size but then again i've nerver used a ten inch on before, also price 10inchers tend to be more expensive.
Anywyas i'm ging on a hunt to find the tojiro to try hopefully the place by my house has one because i'm not going downtown.

p.S where can i get knives cheap online, i was considering ebay but if their is somewher more reliable let me know
Tojiro
Wusthuf 1, 2

Last edited:
I was also looking at the Tojiro DP 240 mm gyuto and was wondering what the blade differences are between the Tojiro DP and the Tojiro Pro DP? The Pro has the SS handle, which looks nice.

If you go to korin.com you'll see a blurb where they mention carbon steel. This is absolutely incorrect. Those of us who own Tojiro DPs will testify that they do not rust. That said, it looks like the cutting edge is 13C26 (same as AEB-L), 12C27, or something along those lines. These are the Swedish steels that fall into the 13% chromium level that Korin mentions. If so, the carbons are as small as those found in ultra expensive powder steel and therefore can realistically be sharpened sharper than razor blades if you're into that. I am.

Back to the original question; If the blade will be seeing a lot of bone get the German. If the blade will be used on vegetables and boneless meats, it's Tojiro all the way. The Toji cuts. It slices. It is a razor. The Wusthof pushes the material aside to some amount and is burdened with excess friction. The difference in feel and pure pleasure is night and day.

Last edited:
Carol - I can't answer that, yet. The various sellers and the Tojiro site itself are not very specific. Smaller manufacturers in Japan are proud of the steels they use and make the exact sources known.

One of the reasons Tojiro is such a great bang for the buck is because the blades are mass produced, stamped rather than hand forged. They manufacture 5000 blades a day as opposed to a handful. None the less, the geometry is pure Japanese and the steel they are made of is, in my opinion, very high quality based on sharpenability, edge retention, etc. I sent an email to Tojiro asking for specifics on steels used and will post the reply if and when received.:cool:

This doesn't help a bit, likely because this person doesn't really know the answer to my query..... Note that I asked for specifics and did not receive any. Fast response though - whatever.

Hi Buzz,

Thanks for your inquiry.

Please note Blades of DP models are same as DP Pro models.

Best regards,

Toru Kamoi
Fuji Cutlery Co., Ltd.

Attached Message
From:buzzard767@aol.comTo:kamoi@fujitora.co.jpSubject:question about steel compositionDate:Sat, 22 Mar 2008 07:40:20 +0900
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Are the cutting edges of the DP models sold by www.korin.com different than the DP Pro models found elsewhere? If they are different, which Swedish steel is used in the Korin DPs, 13C26, AEB-L, or whatever?

Thank you,

Buzz[/FONT]

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom