You might be obsessional about sharpening if ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jpaulg

Senior Cook
... When asked if you've used your brand new knife that you got delivered to work two days ago yet, you reply "No because I haven't had time to take it home and sharpen it yet"

It's an old school yatagan carver, basically an oversized boning knife. Nice stiff blade, but not too thick. I'll be using it to break down larger cuts of meat like whole blades of beef mainly.

Got it dry shaving on my first pass through the stones. High Carbon V-Mo blade and it's shining up quite nicely. I think I'll take it to a sharper angle than my chef's knife as it will be mostly used for butchery and won't be getting the same volume of work.

I have a 240mm Akifusa gyuto in my case that I sharpened myself. A few days ago I bought a used on in 210mm from a member of another forum. It has a good edge, polished over 1cm up the blade (I don't do much polishing aside from the actual edge). Well, one of the guys at work tried it and turned to me and said, matter of factly, "The one you did yourself is sharper.":LOL:

Just used a Friedrich Dick fine cut Balkan to bring back the edge on one of my Dexter traditional High Carbon 8" wide boning knives. 3 or 4 light passes on the Balkan is all that it took. The knife lists for $22.95, the Balkan for $72.

Yesterday one of the other chefs borrowed blooddrinker (my 9" Sab) to process some pumpkins. He made the comment that blooddrinker wasn't as sharp as it normally is. I just picked it up, cleaned it off and push-shaved 2" of my forearm.
The other chefs laughed and said "holy crap if that's blunt ...".

Just finished slicing up a chuck pot roast for dindin. This reminded me of how much lack of appreciation is expressed towards some Brit cutlery. For softer stainless knives my go-to steel is a combination smooth and medium cut FLINT made in England steel and my fav knife when the wife brings the wrong or no knife to my place setting at the dinner table is a cut down forged stainless A. Petre & Company of Sheffield, England.
Like so many things (e.g. Griswold) I guess Petre is out of business.

Is there a sharpening how to thread on here?

There are several.

It depends on what you're looking for and what you're prepared to spend. There are some decent machines if you want good enough sharpness, if you want truly sharp you use water whetstones and if you want really scary sharp there are a number of systems that combine the goodness of whetstones with mechanical repeated angles.

There are several.

It depends on what you're looking for and what you're prepared to spend. There are some decent machines if you want good enough sharpness, if you want truly sharp you use water whetstones and if you want really scary sharp there are a number of systems that combine the goodness of whetstones with mechanical repeated angles.

I'll look it up. Initially I am sure ANYTHING will be better than the current cutlery situation in my house. As of right now the best knife in the house is a Pampered Chef paring knife, but I just ordered a Rada cook's knife from a fundraiser catalog at work. I'm sure Rada is not as good as a Wusthof or Globe, but for $8 I figured it was worth a shot! In any case, the butcher shop at my local grocery store sharpens knives for free.

For a beginner I'd suggest either the Lansky or Spiderco ceramic rod systems. The Furi fingers system is easy to use and gets a decent edge.

Avoid the ceramic wheels or tungsten carbide "V" systems. They can get your knives sharp, but at a cost.

Back
Top Bottom