"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives
Old 11-01-2006, 01:33 AM   #1
Assistant Cook
Your Knife set ?

Ok, I need a new knife set. A more professional one than the ronco ones I have. At this point I do not even care about the cost. I am doing well enough now that I can afford some great, professionally put together knives.

I'm looking for maybe even a 30 piecer if anyone has any suggestions.

What kind of knife sets do you guys have ? What works best for everyone ? Any suggestions would be great right now.

free cook books for everything !
NightsinCalifornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 07:06 AM   #2
Chief Eating Officer
You will find that most people here do not buy sets. Take a look in the knife forum and you will see tons of discussions on exactly what you are looking for.

Just out of curiosity, why are you looking for a 30 piece set? What knives come in a 30 piece and would you really have a need for all of them?

You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 03:50 AM   #3
Sous Chef
Send a message via ICQ to Gossie Send a message via Yahoo to Gossie
Mine is Mutt!!! A little bit of this and a little bit of that :-) Just like GB said.
Gossie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 07:58 AM   #4
Assistant Cook
I agree with GB--no set here. I imagine a 30 piece set includes steak knives, a steel, fork, etc.
And be sure to handle a knife first--it just may not feel right in your hand no matter how "good" it is.
Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 08:30 AM   #5
Executive Chef
you don't need 30 pieces...5 or 7 will do fine.

I went high tech American with New West Knife Works www.newwestknifeworks.com They use Japanese and Swedish steel, precision machined edges, and beautiful handles and blocks. Have a look.
Robo410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 10:15 AM   #6
Head Chef
Send a message via AIM to college_cook
I personally have a few Wusthof pieces that I really like... but my favorite knives currently are the Meridian Elite series by Messermeister. A few of the chefs I worked with (including the head chef) picked up some of their blades about a month ago and they are some incredible blades.
college_cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 10:26 AM   #7
Master Chef
Even with steak knives, steel, etc. I am struggling to think of would possibly be in a 30 knife set. Assuming 8 steak knives and a steel and a fork (10), there would surely be a whole lotta knives in the set you probably don't need and won't ever need.

I started with a small set of Wusthof Grand Prix knives (5 plus shears and a steel) and have added pieces through the years (santuko, cleaver, ceramic knives, cheese knife, etc).

I would suggest starting small and adding knives as your needs/interests dictate.

Also, like Gretchen said, make sure you try out a lot of different knives by holding them, if not actually using them, before you buy, as they need to feel good in your hand -- especially if you are plunking down serious bucks for them.
Less is not more. More is more and more is fabulous.
jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 11:33 AM   #8
Head Chef
Send a message via MSN to Caine
Gunter Wilhelm
Caine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 08:56 PM   #9
Executive Chef
I use LamsonSharp forged knives. I have a santoku, 8" chef, boning, paring, serrated, and the carving set which consists of a fork and 12" slicer. LamsonSharp provides lifetime factory sharpening on all forged knives. All you pay for is $10 shipping. I have Japanese stones that I use myself, but I would reccomend sending them to the factory instead of running them through an off the shelf sharpener. By the way, these few knives are plenty for me in the kitchen. You really don't need 50 knives. You'll find that you have a favorite and will use that one the most. IMO, I would buy two of those.
Jeekinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 09:51 AM   #10
Head Chef
Send a message via MSN to Caine
All you pay is $10.00 shipping? Places like Williams-Sonoma charge $4.00 for sharpening, and if you patronize a butcher shop, they'll usually do your knives gratis as a customer service.

Caine is offline   Reply With Quote