"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 01-31-2013, 01:07 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

I have a CC boning and 8" Chefs knife with walnut handles. I have some other knives, but go for these two the most. They sharpen real quick with a couple of draws through on my hand held sharpener. I gave my Chef's Choice electric sharpener to my son along with my 12" Shun knife. I paid $25 for the boning knife at a Kitchen store. I also paid the same for the Chef's knife. They really hold an edge and sharpen up real nice. These two knives get quite a workout in my kitchen.

Old 01-31-2013, 02:15 PM   #12
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I gave my Chef's Choice electric sharpener to my son along with my 12" Shun knife.
Addie, make sure your son doesn't use the electric sharpener with the Shun knife, unless it's the Chef's Choice Asian model. Otherwise the guides are at the wrong angle and will ruin the blade.

Old 01-31-2013, 02:36 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Addie, make sure your son doesn't use the electric sharpener with the Shun knife, unless it's the Chef's Choice Asian model. Otherwise the guides are at the wrong angle and will ruin the blade.
He knows. He will take it to W-S for sharpening when needed. It was given to me as a gift. In my small hands it is like a sword.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:23 PM   #14
Cook

I bought my set of Chicago Cutlery knives in 1991. I am happy with them except that the wood handles absorb stuff and get grungy -- I need to oil them often.

But, here is a review of Chicago Cutlery knives that I saw on Amazon today:
I am in the food industry and have some great "old" Chicago knives. Some of my knives are over 50 years old and still going strong. They have great blades that sharpen easily and wear well.

I bought a vacation home recently and one of the first thing I bought for the kitchen was this set of Chicago Cutlery. I was angry when I saw what Chicago Cutlery has done to the quality of their product. Poor grade thin steel blades that feel like toy knives with handles of cheap poor quality wood.
Stay away from these knives...do not reward them for destroying a great American Tradition.
They should be forced to give up the Name......
Old 02-04-2013, 01:15 PM   #15
Head Chef

Apparently, Chicago is no different from many other products, in that they offer different levels of quality. Just the other day I saw a pair of what appears to be stamped Chicago Cutlery knives with wood handles in a blister pack in a store here on the island.

The 8" chef that I have is forged with a bolster, and the handle is not wood, but some sort of high quality black plastic. If not for the label, I couldn't tell it from my Wusthof Classics. If anything, the edge seems to hold up better than the Wusthof knives.

I know that this knife is no more than 10 years old because that is about when my sister bought it for my mom.
Old 06-10-2013, 03:58 AM   #16
Senior Cook

Send a message via ICQ to Joshatdot Send a message via AIM to Joshatdot Send a message via MSN to Joshatdot Send a message via Yahoo to Joshatdot Send a message via Skype™ to Joshatdot
I picked up a set of CC knives from Goodwill the other day (I couldn't find the block), for like $12. I got them for camping & going to the Burning Man Festival.

Since they are wood (walnut?) handles .. should I put a thin coat of cutting board oil on them? why not?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1233.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	18063  
Old 06-10-2013, 06:45 AM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshatdot View Post
I picked up a set of CC knives from Goodwill the other day (I couldn't find the block), for like $12. I got them for camping & going to the Burning Man Festival.

Since they are wood (walnut?) handles .. should I put a thin coat of cutting board oil on them? why not?
Yes. I apply several coats of a mineral oil & paraffin mixture at 24 hour intervals. After the last application, I wrap the treated handles in dry film wax paper and store in a warm dry place for a month or more, turning weekly; then I unwrap and buff the handles to remove any remaining excess oil.
You might want to clean the handles with turpentine before performing the above described procedure.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:29 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

i just bought my wife a chicago cutlery chef's knife for about $20 in a kiychen outlet store.

it's the fusion 7.75" chef's knife: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Chicago-Cu...Knife/11165340

it feels really good to me, well balanced and pretty sharp.

but so far, she has yet to take it out of it's sheath, preferring to use some really crappy qvc special wolfgang puck knives. i think she's afraid of using a good, sharp knife.
Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:44 AM   #19
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshatdot View Post

I have those same knives. They were my first "good" knives. They are walnut handles. If you have some fine sandpaper or steel wool, give the handles a once over to remove surface crud and open the wood grain. Then a light coating of mineral oil and let it sit overnight. In the morning wipe off the excess. Repeat as needed.

My set is about 15 years old and I still use them for vacation knives.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:37 PM   #20
Senior Cook

Send a message via ICQ to Joshatdot Send a message via AIM to Joshatdot Send a message via MSN to Joshatdot Send a message via Yahoo to Joshatdot Send a message via Skype™ to Joshatdot
Thanks Andy & bill for the tips on the handles .. will do!

Tags
chicago